Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp
Oct 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #151 of 270
When I first joined head-fi, I was amazed that so many people collected so many headphone setups.  I came from a loudspeaker background, where such collections would be extremely impractical, unless you were a millionaire. However, MF's earlier points about collections and archiving does explain that, with the "Journey" being as important as the "Destination". And I have no issue with hobbyists who like collecting, comparing and archiving.

But if the Destination is to get the most musically satisfying system, then maintaining a large collection is a wasteful way of going about it. If you have a bunch of headphones that each sound good on some types of music, but bad on others, then, by definition, they must be fundamentally flawed. And continually getting distracted by lots of flawed components is not going to get you to that Destination.

But I don't think it's a good idea to go straight from a bunch of average setups to the final Destination.
You'll get a massive OMG moment, where you want to revisit all your favourite albums - simultaneously.
But if you work up to that Destination in considered steps, then you'll get a whole series of OMG moments along the way. If this is to remain a hobby, then the Journey is still as important as the Destination, but it's a different Journey to the earlier one. As per MF's point above, the key thing is to remember to enjoy the music. Because if you're forever buying components, yet are never musically satisfied, then it's not a hobby - it's an obsession.

... or are obsessed with OMG moments... 
wink_face.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #152 of 270
Quote:
You'll get a massive OMG moment, where you want to revisit all your favourite albums - simultaneously.

Quote:
... or are obsessed with OMG moments... 
wink_face.gif

I don't know if I'm obsessed with them, but TheAttorney brought up one my favorite barometers for assessing new components. If I am compelled to re-visit all my favorite albums, then it's a good bet that I am satisfied with my latest upgrade. The other one is when I start listening to my entire collection on random play...

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #153 of 270
Another barometer for knowing that you're heading in the right direction is when you listen to friends systems, or at a meet, and just about everything you hear sounds like your system did a few years ago: with some combination of flat/bright/coloured sound.

One of the good things about getting into the high end is that, after the initial OMG moment of an upgrade, the system continues to sound great afterwards. In the early days, my OMG moments were eventually replaced by the realisation that there was still something not quite right.   

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #154 of 270
Quote:
Another barometer for knowing that you're heading in the right direction is when you listen to friends systems, or at a meet, and just about everything you hear sounds like your system did a few years ago: with some combination of flat/bright/coloured sound.

One of the good things about getting into the high end is that, after the initial OMG moment of an upgrade, the system continues to sound great afterwards. In the early days, my OMG moments were eventually replaced by the realisation that there was still something not quite right.   

OMG, I bet that was annoying!  

(sorry couldn't resist)

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #156 of 270
Not sure if we're on the same page here or not, but I think a good gauge of heading in the right direction for you would be hearing something someone else considers better than your system and don't like it as much as your own sound.

That happened to me at the last Dallas meet with the HD800s on the Bryston vs LF shootout. I came out preffering my LF by quite a wide margin. I knew I had found a signature I liked...

...then I sold it all and picked up an LL and some 009s.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #157 of 270
Quote:
In the early days, my OMG moments were eventually replaced by the realisation that there was still something not quite right.   

I call those "wow factors", where it's great at first but it wears off quickly.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #159 of 270
Okay, I'll play a little longer.

On reflection, "wow factor" is a better term. I guess the progression would be "wow", "WOW" and, rarely, "OMG". 
And if you don't get any of these responses with an upgrade, then you should question whether you're going for the right upgrades!

After any upgrade, your brain does get used to the better sound, so after a few days/weeks/months you don't get the same wow factor. That doesn't mean the upgrade was a waste of time, it's just the way we naturally acclimatise to anything new. The danger is that you start getting bored with whatever you have and strive to get the next "fix".

At the high end, assuming you've chosen wisely, the post-wow phase never gets boring. Listening to your current rig is always a delight. You may still get the urge to upgrade or tweak something, but that's human nature and it's part of the hobby. But you're not necessarily upgrading as a result of being fundamentally dissatisfied with what you've got - it's just fun to play with your toys.

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #160 of 270
With the majority of the songs I listen to with my combo of 009 / BHSE/ K-01, I do get the Wow factor, but even so I'd like a change at times which is why I've ordered the GS-X. I cancel my order for the Aristaeus but changed my mind so I'm getting the Aristaeus after all. Hopefully the songs I have volume issues with the 009 + BHSE, [ which are only a few ] won't be such a problem with the Aristaeus.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #161 of 270
Quote:
With the majority of the songs I listen to with my combo of 009 / BHSE/ K-01, I do get the Wow factor, but even so I'd like a change at times which is why I've ordered the GS-X. I cancel my order for the Aristaeus but changed my mind so I'm getting the Aristaeus after all. Hopefully the songs I have volume issues with the 009 + BHSE, [ which are only a few ] won't be such a problem with the Aristaeus.

Just from my happy experience, if you can afford that 009 setup and a K-01, I would spring for an Apex Pinnacle for dynamic phones. Just last night I listened to my MFSL Neil Diamond Hot August night and was just in awe of the sound from my LCD3s, and the TH900s are just as good (but with a different signature). This is especially so since you seem to appreciate tubes on the BHSE. Why would you switch to solid state? I've owned or listened to a number of amps and I love the Pinnacle like no other.
And I'm kind of addicted to tube-rolling to tailor the sound, and with the Pinnacle it's great because there is just a single 6NS7 to deal with, so you can roll inexpensively to your heart's content. I have a Psvane 6ns7 in it that I love.
But it's now a Wow/OMG for me each time I settle in with my Pinnacle.
Nonetheless, I have NOT heard the GS-X, so to be clear I am NOT of course criticizing this amp, and I'm sure it's a fine one from all the reviews I've read about it over the years.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #162 of 270
Quote:
Just from my happy experience, if you can afford that 009 setup and a K-01, I would spring for an Apex Pinnacle for dynamic phones. Just last night I listened to my MFSL Neil Diamond Hot August night and was just in awe of the sound from my LCD3s, and the TH900s are just as good (but with a different signature). This is especially so since you seem to appreciate tubes on the BHSE. Why would you switch to solid state? I've owned or listened to a number of amps and I love the Pinnacle like no other.
And I'm kind of addicted to tube-rolling to tailor the sound, and with the Pinnacle it's great because there is just a single 6NS7 to deal with, so you can roll inexpensively to your heart's content. I have a Psvane 6ns7 in it that I love.
But it's now a Wow/OMG for me each time I settle in with my Pinnacle.
Nonetheless, I have NOT heard the GS-X, so to be clear I am NOT of course criticizing this amp, and I'm sure it's a fine one from all the reviews I've read about it over the years.

Thank you for your suggestion rgs9200m, but with me having the BHSE and the Aristaeus on order, I'm not wanting another valve amp. Also I like Justin's attention to detail and build quality which is why the four amps I'll have are done by him [ BHSE / Aristaeus / GS-X / Pico Slim ]. Because of the audio equipment I have and what I'm getting, I've very little left in my bank account  so even if I wanted the Apex Pinnacle, I haven't got the money to buy one. I'd like the TH900 but that'll be sometime off in me getting one.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #163 of 270
When I first joined head-fi, I was amazed that so many people collected so many headphone setups.  I came from a loudspeaker background, where such collections would be extremely impractical, unless you were a millionaire. However, MF's earlier points about collections and archiving does explain that, with the "Journey" being as important as the "Destination". And I have no issue with hobbyists who like collecting, comparing and archiving.

But if the Destination is to get the most musically satisfying system, then maintaining a large collection is a wasteful way of going about it. If you have a bunch of headphones that each sound good on some types of music, but bad on others, then, by definition, they must be fundamentally flawed. And continually getting distracted by lots of flawed components is not going to get you to that Destination.

But I don't think it's a good idea to go straight from a bunch of average setups to the final Destination.
But if you work up to that Destination in considered steps, then you'll get a whole series of OMG moments along the way. If this is to remain a hobby, then the Journey is still as important as the Destination, but it's a different Journey to the earlier one. As per MF's point above, the key thing is to remember to enjoy the music. Because if you're forever buying components, yet are never musically satisfied, then it's not a hobby - it's an obsession.

Even if I ever did reach the "Destination", I would still get new headphones, to make reviews (once I get good at it), and to see if I like them more, or, just to get a new sound to play with :)

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #164 of 270
Quote:

Thank you for your suggestion rgs9200m, but with me having the BHSE and the Aristaeus on order, I'm not wanting another valve amp. Also I like Justin's attention to detail and build quality which is why the four amps I'll have are done by him [ BHSE / Aristaeus / GS-X / Pico Slim ]. Because of the audio equipment I have and what I'm getting, I've very little left in my bank account  so even if I wanted the Apex Pinnacle, I haven't got the money to buy one. I'd like the TH900 but that'll be sometime off in me getting one.

Sure and good luck. I came close to getting a GS-X myself a few years back but cancelled the order to go with tubes, so I'd be very curious to read your impressions.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #165 of 270
Quote:
Sure and good luck. I came close to getting a GS-X myself a few years back but cancelled the order to go with tubes, so I'd be very curious to read your impressions.

I'll do that, but the only phones I have to use with the GS-X are Grado PS500 and Shure se535's. I'm able to listen with those two with the Pico Slim via the K-01 and the SQ is very good, but not to the same level when using the 009 / BHSE with the K-01.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back