Would you rather be deaf or blind???
Sep 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #34 of 55
As long as I can read and watch TV, I'll get by... a rheostat on the side of my head to attenuate hearing as desired would be awesome.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #36 of 55
deaf. Even if I would become Stevie Wonder if I went blind
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #37 of 55
My mom who trained audiologists once told me that people have a much harder time going deaf suddenly than blind. She said that people rely more on sound to feel at ease in the world than on sight, so it was very difficult to adjust to deafness. As she pointed out, you can still hear something coming when your eyes are closed or when you are looking away (even when you are asleep your ears are open). Being without those ongoing auditory cues is very disturbing. So I have always thought I would rather go blind.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirmalanow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mom who trained audiologists once told me that people have a much harder time going deaf suddenly than blind. She said that people rely more on sound to feel at ease in the world than on sight, so it was very difficult to adjust to deafness. As she pointed out, you can still hear something coming when your eyes are closed or when you are looking away (even when you are asleep your ears are open). Being without those ongoing auditory cues is very disturbing. So I have always thought I would rather go blind.

Would you say that if your mom was an eye doctor, though?

I know for a fact that the optical part of the brain is by far the biggest region devoted to senses. The only sense more important than sight is feel.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #41 of 55
I would rather be deaf. Being deaf doesnt necessarily restrict my life. I would still be able to see the world around me and communicate with other people, though it would be bit harder. I would miss music, but music isnt the most important thing in life.

If I would be blind, I would be able to listen music and speak with people, BUT I would live my life in eternal darkness, being unaware how the surroundings change around me as time passes and so forth. I would be 100% dependant on some kind of support too, my life wouldnt be my own. I wouldnt be able experience a lot of new things in my life either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back