Would you rather be deaf or blind???
Sep 16, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 55
Definitely deaf. We depend so much on sight that we probably would be shocked if it was taken away. The number of things we'd have to re-learn or not be able to do would be innumerable. I'd miss music, but sight is just too important day-to-day.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #17 of 55
^ Yup. Simple things as reading, writing, getting around (especially outdoors), ...

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #22 of 55
If i get to have perfect or near perfect vision then i would say deaf, but with my current limited vision I would have to say blind. Being deaf and very limited sight would be worse than no sight with hearing me thinks.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No-one has answered my question, dead or own Skullcandy?

That's cause it was a stupid one... Don't troll. BTW, the answer is Skullcandy because I can always give it to someone who would actually thing they're good.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #24 of 55
I rely on my sight much more than my hearing.

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 55
I would rather be deaf than blind, for the obvious reasons posted above.

HOWEVER, I would rather lose the sight in one eye than the hearing in one ear.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOWEVER, I would rather lose the sight in one eye than the hearing in one ear.

Good point
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No-one has answered my question, dead or own Skullcandy?

Wait...there's a difference?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's cause it was a stupid one... Don't troll.

So what did you opt to keep when you gave up your sense of humor?

I voted for blind. Obviously, it would be horrendous to lose either sense. There is so much in the visual world I would miss...the colors of nature, the sight of a beautiful woman, a loved-one's smile. But I could still read (braille, audiobooks,) and write (keyboard,) and probably still have limited use of a computer (text to speech.)

If I lost my hearing, and couldn't listen to music, I would also lose my mind. My hearing, tinnitus and all, is the most precious of my senses to me. My 85-year-old father is nearly deaf. The hardships it causes him are manifold and heartbreaking.

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #29 of 55
neither because then I'd suck at video games

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Title says it all.

Not really.

If by "Would you rather be deaf or blind?" the OP means from birth, as far as I know the congenitally deaf face considerably greater obstacles in their cognitive and social development. So the choice seems fairly clear.

However, if the title means starting now, the issue seems to be much more subtle and tied to individual preferences. What kind of experiences do you value and what are you willing to give up. Unlike the first interpretation you will be operating in this future with the knowledge and skills you have accrued from both senses. A very different kind of question it seems to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back