Would you rather be deaf or blind???
Oct 11, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #46 of 55
On a side note... what happens to the brains of people who lose their sight? Well, that huge portion of their brain that suddenly has nothing better to do starts to be re-purposed, and can actually contribute to enhancements in other areas of perception and cognition. So if you want to become a sharp-sensed super-genius, just poke out your eyes.
wink_face.gif
(Unfortunately, if you're dumb enough to follow that tongue-in-cheek advice, then the best you can hope for is for that freed up brainpower to make you a bit less of a moron.
tongue_smile.gif
)

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note... what happens to the brains of people who lose their sight? Well, that huge portion of their brain that suddenly has nothing better to do starts to be re-purposed, and can actually contribute to enhancements in other areas of perception and cognition.

Blind People’s Other Senses Not More Acute | PsyBlog

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blind People’s Other Senses Not More Acute | PsyBlog

Quoted from the article you linked to:
"There is a difference between having better hearing, and using auditory information more effectively, which some blind people do to an extraordinary degree."

Perception is not the same thing as sensation. Notice I said nothing about other senses being improved, I said that other areas of perception can be enhanced. You wont suddenly have bat-like hearing just because you lost your sight; the auditory signals your brain has to work with are the same. But your brain might rewire itself to more efficiently process those signals using some of that freed up real estate.

And the joke about super senses and super intelligence was just that: a joke.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #50 of 55
I would rather have my toilet clogged.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #53 of 55
There were identical polls/discussions in the past. But, that being said, I'd rather be blind if I can sing like Andrea Bocelli.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #54 of 55
I would rather be blind because it would completely redefine the way that I must define the world, and would possibly drive me insane. Also, the emotional connection to others via voices is nice.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #55 of 55
I was born without a sense of smell (and, I guess, decreased taste as well), which is the least important of the five senses. I'm also short sighted, but glasses correct that well enough. I'd hate to lose another sense, though I'd go with deaf, that way I'd still be able to enjoy my photography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back