Would you prefer a 'detachable' cable or a 'permanent' cable?
Aug 2, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:
I have a pair of K-702s and the detachable cable is nice for changing cables of different lenghts...

That is one of the things I would be looking forward to buying the K702's. Except that K702 cables seem to be extremely expensive.

In fact, is there honestly a cable for the K702 that is not over $200!?

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #34 of 60
It would be awesome if all headphones had detachable cables with a standard plug!

You could have just one cable of each type for all your headphones like 1/8", 1/4", balanced etc etc

And would be much easier to storage or hang all your headphones without cables!

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #35 of 60
Thinking about it I want to add that a detachable cable should have a standard 3.5 mm plug/jack, so any cable can be used. Some manufacturers add their own proprietary plugs, which I don't like. My Superlux 668B has a detachable cable, and I usally use it with my normal headphone extension cord.

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #36 of 60
well of course! as others said, i would choose a detachable one as i am too good at damaging cables, so i would no longer be afraid to replace the whole headphone nest time. i will just get another cable :)

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #37 of 60
Well actually you dont have to spend over 100 if you just want a replacement cable only if you want what ever bonuses that come with it. I just saw one on ebay for 19 the orginal Akg 702 cable.

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #38 of 60
Quote:
Thinking about it I want to add that a detachable cable should have a standard 3.5 mm plug/jack, so any cable can be used. Some manufacturers add their own proprietary plugs, which I don't like. My Superlux 668B has a detachable cable, and I usally use it with my normal headphone extension cord.

I don't think that mini jack would be a good idea. Contact surface is small and any speck on the surface would obscure conductivity. AKG idea of mini-XLR seems to be optimal, they are a very reliable connection.

Quote:
So, you all would still take detachable cables for 'home listening cans' as well, right? Due to all the benefits stated in the past pages, I presume.

Random question: Is it best to store detachable cable headphones with the cable connected or disconnected?

That depend on the socket. I'd keep XLR connected and jack disconnected because latch in XLR is separate element and in jack latch=contact (left channel). It gets weaker over time and contact may become less stable.

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #39 of 60
I only have to think about all the headphones I have owned whose fixed cable failed and in which opening up the phones to replace the cable was a major operation requiring tools and a crowbar and endless patience to make me say detachable please.

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #40 of 60
Detachable cables have their advantages, but for full-size (non-portable) headphones I actually prefer fixed cables. Why? Connectors are weak points in a connection. It's best to use as few as possible. They can wear out over time and could even cause connection problems.
For example, the connectors on my HD600 are slightly loose - I think I will solder the cables directly to the drivers to avoid accidentally unplugging them (which happened a few times already).
Higher quality plugs and sockets could partially solve these problems, but they would also raise the price of a headphone.

Additionally, plugs and sockets for detachable cables will usually make a headphone slightly bulkier.

However, headphones with fixed cables should be easy to open in case you actually have to replace/repair the cable. The K701 for example, is easy to open - you only need tweezers and a screwdriver (although I admit it is easy to scratch the cover). The cable is not glued, so it can be easily replaced. Grados on the other side are horrible, I hope I will never have to open my RS1. In this case a detachable cable would certainly be preferable.

A question to those who like to "upgrade" their cables: Assuming that you can improve sound quality with expensive cables (I do not believe this, however I do not want to start a discussion), why would you prefer a detachable cable? Even if you use the highest quality cable you can find, the signal would still have to pass through the connectors on the headphones, and then through the cables inside to the drivers (which are most certainly completely conventional cables and not pure silver or whatever).
If I would want to use a High-End cable, I would most certainly solder it directly to the driver to ensure there is no weak link in the chain.

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #41 of 60
^ Best response yet. Thanks a bunch! I'm glad to see you 'broke the mold' and actually had an explanation. A very good one too.

In fact, you have convinced me to get the K701's instead. Thank you.

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #42 of 60
I prefer fixed cables. They give a stronger connection to the headphone but are still removable should the need arise. 

Speaking of which, ALL of the gold plating on my 595's plug has worn off. Time for a replacement...

Edit: Just clarifying that this replacement will be with the stock cable for $6.70- I don't believe in fancy cables. Low capacitance is all you need.

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #44 of 60
Mad Dude is right. Jacks are a point of failure and adding them would not improve durability. You'd still get faults in the cable, but you'd end up with more points of failure. Further, solder makes for an ideal connection, as it is a bond. Jacks come loose and not one provides as solid a connection as a physical link. It's amusing that people who believe in cables are oblivious to the many shortcomings of using a jack instead of being hardwired. Especially those who think power cables make a difference. You can have an electrician hardwire your amp, CD player, etc. directly to your home wiring and bypass the need for a power cord altogether. Believers rarely think through the implications and consequences of their beliefs.

If I manufactured headphones, would I put jacks on them? Oh hell yes. I'd charge for different levels of plating, differenced ones for "balanced" versions, and I'd sell a range of cables. The money would be too good to ignore. Why not turn a buck off fairytales and folklore?

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #45 of 60
I also agree with Mad Dude in the whole recabling headphones thing.It seems to me like it's a lot of money to spend for cables when you could invest it in another pair of headphones or a good amp.I do prefer detachable cables though as I find it way easier to replace them if something goes wrong and I can avoid sending the headphones in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back