Would you introduce yourself to a stranger you saw wearing hi-fi headphones?
Jan 5, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if you are in a quiet environment they can't be enjoyed without cranking them way up! At high volumes the 650s really bloom to life.

I actually find the HD-650 to be enjoyable at lower volumes too (which I do most of the time with the phones).

Edit: And no, I won't ever catch myself wearing big phones in the public, let alone introduce myself to some strangers while wearing them.

Jan 5, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #32 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A long flight listening to accounting jokes?

An accountant is having a hard time sleeping and so he decides to go to see his doctor. "Doctor, I just can't get to sleep at night," complains the man.

"Have you tried counting sheep?" inquired the doctor.

The accountant replied, "That's the problem, Doc. I make a mistake and then spend three hours trying to find it!"

Alright, no more lame jokes. Lawyer jokes get more laughs, anyway.

Back to the topic, I'd chat someone up depending on the cans. If they're something readily found at Circuit City, no. But if they're wearing recabled HD-650s, that's something else entirely.

Jan 5, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #33 of 73
in my area, (boise) its a friendly city, so if i saw someone with nice cans on, i'd definitely point twords my ears and give them a thumbs up.

thought i did see a guy in his 40's wearing igrado's i was about to go talk to him but i lost him shortly after
frown.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #34 of 73
i saw a kid in a class i was in wearing sr60s. of course i thought it was sort of stupid wearing grados outside of the home. regardless, he was a grado owner. i might have said something if i would have seen him again but that was the only time i saw him wearing them.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #35 of 73
Yes.... But I wouldn't say.. "Hi I'm Cosmo Kramer.... I'm a headphoneus Supremus..." That'd get me punched or biatch slapped.

I'd probably just ask the person how he liked the headphones, and if he wouldn't mind if I had a quick listen.

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #36 of 73
I have done it... particularly when I'm with friends as it makes them feel weird and akward.

I do the same with weird cars too though... I'll be with a group of friends and see a mid-90s Saab 9000 Aero and go up to the owner and say "Hey, that's a wicked Saab!" Always totally embarrasses everyone I'm with.

I'm naturally extremely introverted, but nothing gives me more joy than making people squirm
biggrin.gif

Muahahaha.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #37 of 73
I sure would!
But only if I saw someone walking around with a high-end headphone. Certainly not for the average-Joe wearing PortaPro's or similar.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #38 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sure would!
But only if I saw someone walking around with a high-end headphone. Certainly not for the average-Joe wearing PortaPro's or similar.

Amen.

Although I myself don't tend to ever wear my nice cans outside...

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #39 of 73
I've done so just a few times in the past, but they've been so brief that I don't recall any details.

A surprising number of times strangers -- mostly in elevators -- have looked curiously, and asked about my portable amps velcro'd to my iPod -- Hornet, Portaphile -- and definitely my new, tiny, purrrrty Tomahawk. Most say, "...extra battery for the iPod?" and I try to give the briefest, not-too-geeky answer.

In this uber-crowded but surprisingly small world of midtown Manhattan I experienced yesterday what I guess is unusual I've never experienced before. In the elevator of the Ad Agency I work at an unknown-to-me co-worker entered on a lower floor, immediately eyed my electric translucent blue Westone ES2 IEMs and started saying something which, of course, I could not hear.

Since joining Head-Fi I've always had some audiophile gear on my desk and my head, and sometimes a staggering mound of gear -- yet only a tiny handful have entered into conversation about it and almost all have said nothing at all, which is great for me since (I hope) I never got any flack from bosses.

I removed the ES2s and we started techno-chat. He was holding his PDP and UEs -- very nice of course! -- and it occurred to me when we left the elevator to show him the Toma, which he ID'd before I spoke: "You got the Tomahawk?!!!". Of course I asked if he was a Head-fi-er and of course he is.

Unfortunately I had interrupted and ignored his associate (sorry!), we both were in a hurry to go our separate ways, I introduced myself as "Romanee" and forgot to mention my real name and department -- and he said "Chris" but I couldn't hear his headfi handle and didn't want to delay him further.

Hi, Chris -- I'm Peter (Studio). Send a PM to Romanee or stop by and visit. Feel free to bring a nice bottle of a good Romanee … is it expense-able? (LOL...).

After this I'll probably be a bit more proactive and intrude a little into strangers' lives -- if they're sporting audiophile gear, if it seems they wouldn't mind the intrusion -- and IF I actually have something real to ask or say.

We'll see.....

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #41 of 73
I would be jumping up & down with excitement if I saw anyone in my town wearing anything besides bb or cc purchases. I'd for sure say hello & ask about their gear if I ever once saw anyone around here!!

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #42 of 73
I approached someone on campus wearing SR80s. Told him nice headphones and we had a nice short chat. Also gave him headfi's URL. Not sure if he visited yet.

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #43 of 73
I would guess that if you see someone walking down the street with headphones and an amp, that they would most probably be a member here.

Or at the very least, have visited.

Most people just look at me weird when I insist on listening to headphones with an amp.

I guess to a civilian, it would be like insisting you had soda water in your toilet to flush.

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I approached someone on campus wearing SR80s. Told him nice headphones and we had a nice short chat. Also gave him headfi's URL. Not sure if he visited yet.

Oh you cruel and evil person.
k1000smile.gif

You know he's probably broke now with no girlfriend and social life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back