Would you buy headphones which could be turned into speakers if they competed in quality with existing headphones on the market?
Oct 19, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #17 of 23
What would you use the Pico Projector for/ when would you use it? Would this be for when you are out of the house?

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #19 of 23
^ I LOVE Inception!
back to the topic, I'd have to say no. Sorry, but your idea is not even feasible to begin with. There's a huge issue regarding power and efficiency, not to mention they must be closed back, have good isolation to be called portable, which is not in the scope of speakers.
I used to have a k1000 pair btw, and if someone tells me to bring them out for a walk (assuming he could solve the power issue) I would say no in a heartbeat. Speakers (and earspeakers) are meant to be indoor.

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #20 of 23
This has been done, and there is a current product on the market that does it:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=2988

I would not buy them and I have never heard them. 

If you want a full-open design, the K1000, F1, and potentially SR-Sigma (it's the right shape-ish) come to mind, but none of those would really work as speakers. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 23
No, the K-1000 cannot be converted to speakers. They have a speaker-like presentation and require speaker-like power, bu they are meant to be worn on the head. You cannot set up a K-1000 to replace a speaker system.

I don't like this idea, either. For me, the point of a speaker is to have a good-sized woofer. 6" is about a normal starting point. Then you have to have a substantial cabinet and even the crossover will weigh several pounds if it has inductors. Most will need a good amp to drive them and, of course, you'll have to power the amp.

If you try to power tiny drivers with a portable source, you might as well tote along a laptop and listen to its speakers.

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #22 of 23
Yeah, not feasible. Consider the output of HPs that fold flat... the Ultrasone 900s and Beyer DT1350 come to mind. Neither would make for satisfying speakers.

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 23
8 small drivers in one cabinet? Never took off (for quality reasons I presume)? Sounds like B O S E to me! Hee hee!
eek.gif

Answering the OPs question, if you could engineer such a product that sounded decent, then I suspect that, aimed at the right demographic, these would work very well. But I happen to love the intimacy of headphone listening that can't be achieved with speakers. But then again I love the atmosphere of speakers that can't be achieved with headphones. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back