Would it be worthwhile buying a pair of Sony MDR ex1000 to compliment W4s and red se535s with 3rd party cable
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

spkrs01

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been in this hobby for just over 6mnths. My first purchase was the W4s, then the JVC 51s(lost), Sony ex310  to try out the fit before buying a pair of ex1000. My intentions were to buy the ex1000s, but a few weeks ago bought the red 535s with a Baldur mk2 cable for less than the retail price of the ex1000s. I have also bought a pair of umx1 for my youngest daughter.

Now, before going customs and I have my eyes set on the Heirs amongst others, would it be worth getting the Sony MDR ex1000s?

I am enjoying the red 535s with 3rd party cable very much at the moment. I am using a Motorola Xoom, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note and a pink Cowon d2+(female songs)/ blue Cowon d2+(male songs) as source.

Would money be better spent: 

1. just buying the Sony MDR ex1000s for a different sound perspective plus they are a high end dynamic driver system

2. buy a portable amp- recommendations please

3. different IEMs in a similar price range

Thank you in advance for any insight given

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 3
I agree that the SE535LTD-J are excellent. How were you able to get them cheaper than the EX1000 though? I also believe that the EX1000 will give you an interesting experience that is arguably the pinnacle of dynamic driver sound in an IEM. They also offer a sound signature different enough from both the W4 and the SE535. However, I think it does depend on how you intend to use them. The EX1000 do not isolate as well as the others do. However, the closest alternative is the FX700, and it's even worse at isolation. I'm not sure how you prefer your sound signatures, but with me, my choices would be the SE535TLD-J, and the EX1000. The W4 and FX700, while excellent, aren't really my cup of tea.

For the most part (although there are many who will disagree with me), I don't think a portable amp does much for IEMs, unless you pair it with a portable DAC that can pull songs digitally off your source (even though you don't use an iPod, an example that comes to mind is the Fostex HP-P1).

Although I don't have experience with customs, all of these IEMs should probably offer up unique enough sound experiences that you wouldn't think having a custom IEM would make them redundant.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for that. Yes I am very interested in trying a top-tier DD system in an IEM.

I got the red se535 and 3rd party cable for less than the recently reduced price of the ex1000 

If we are talking just the red se535s, they were the same price as what I had paid for the w4 and I got those cheap too. Someone were able to give me a one off relatively large discount on the red se535.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back