Worst headphones you've ever heard? / Low-fi experiences?
Jan 3, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #137 of 212
One day my friend was raving about his Skullcandy Hesh. I was interested, so I asked to listen to it. Bunch of crappy midrange! Slightly better than my cell phone.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #139 of 212
The worst headphones I've heard were some Nokia OEM in-ears. I got them few years back coz they had a 2.5 mm adapter with mic for my Nokia phone. I could not listen to them in the store and when I got home and plugged them in I just stopped the music and never listened to them again. I still have them though. You have no idea how bad they are - compared to them the ibuds sound like high-end iems. I think their frequency response is around 500-15000 - no bass, awfully sibilant and harsh with lots of static noise (maybe because of their impedance which I guess is around 10 ohm LOL). I still can't believe I paid for them (they were like 5 bucks) and that was way before I started really caring about sound quality - just wanted loud sound. At that time I had Razer Moray which I though sounded mind-blowing and super detailed - well they were miles ahead of the ibuds but now I find them super sibilant and unbearable to listen to. You can imagine how bad those Nokia in-ears sound - that's how hell sounds.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #140 of 212
LOL at some headphones that are the worst yall have ever heard. 

Anyhow, I bought some $5 headphones from BigLots............ words cant describe how bad they sounded.  These things made Skullcandy Ink'd seem like RE-O's.  

My ears might not ever forgive me for listening to them. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #142 of 212
I can't find a picture anywhere but a pair I got for free once on a Thomson flight - I mean I wasn't expecting some Qualia's but these sounded SO bad. I mean I could only hear the voices (sounded like they were singing through a megaphone) and everything else just sounded like a 5 year old smashing saucepans together. 30 seconds and I just decided to read a book.

This was before I was even into music and headphones as I am now, and I thought they were bad then...

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #143 of 212
Airline headphones.  No bass at all, mids were horribly disfigured, highs were flat out shrill.  With every note it sounded like they were crying for help and I wanted to put them out of their misery.  

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #144 of 212

Quote:
Airline headphones.  No bass at all, mids were horribly disfigured, highs were flat out shrill.  With every note it sounded like they were crying for help and I wanted to put them out of their misery.  

maybe the cable is still useful for recabling when times are desperate...but then comes the proprietory airline jack

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #145 of 212
My story of the worst headphones I've ever heard:

One day there was a sale going on in my town. It was a BIG event, as TV had shown that there were many discounted "gems" being sold there. I, of course, went there hoping to find an awesome deal. Upon arriving, I had to pay $5 just to enter the place, but I thought it would probably be worth it. When I got into the place, I was greeted with a lot of Chinese sellers. First thing I did was go to the area where the laptops were, hoping that I would find a UMPC (something I've always wanted) for a cheap price. Well, they had something that looked like one, it had a lot of Chinese handwriting on it, and it cost $500 (US dollars btw). Even worse, it's specs were something like a 33MHz processor, so I knew that it was a total, complete rip-off. Anyway, I just walked on past it and found a place where they were selling fake iPhones. Beside them were some $15 in ears that, according to the specs on the back, were pretty decent. I had accidently destroyed my old pair of headphones and needed some replacements, so I thought I would give these a whirl. And for only $15 dollars, they couldn't be that bad. How wrong could I be?

To describe the sound of these things is basically impossible, but here it goes. Imagine some headphones that did not have any bass whatsoever. Then, bury the headphones in a cup full of sand. Then, place the cup to your ear. That's kind of how it sounded, yet the high's were still ear-piercing. Any audiophile or just lover of music would probably cry after hearing these. I know I did. I did not think my music could sound so...bad...

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #147 of 212
I refuse to believe that any part of those headphones were useful for anything.  

Quote:
Quote:

maybe the cable is still useful for recabling when times are desperate...but then comes the proprietory airline jack

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #148 of 212
Thomson HED54N

Imagine trying to listen to your favorite music in a cave, these thing are even worse. Best 3€ I've spent in a long time, reminds me of how good my other IEM actually sound.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #149 of 212
Recently for me it was the Kicker HP541. They're so ugly with a logo plastered everywhere and the sound felt like just nothing but bass. Mids were the worst I've heard. They're the most muffled sounding headphones I've had yet. Perhaps they need 100 hours of burn-in.

The Denon D1101 is the first headphone that made me shout obscenities with disgust. Not a bad headphone if that's what you like. I guess I wasn't prepared for such massive amounts of bass. Certainly the most bass heavy headphone I've ever heard. Guess that's not low-fi.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #150 of 212
Sony MDR V700 DJ, even a K518 DJ sounded bass light. The V700 sounded awful but it might be the set up in the store was bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back