Worried about durability, D2000 vs DT770
Nov 15, 2010 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

NorCa

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, i decided to get a decent audio setup for my PC. After reading A LOT I'm going for Asus STX and either Beyerdynamic DT770 or Denon AHD-2000, my selection is based on closed headphones for gaming. After further research, i read the D2000 are not exactly closed, some sounds does leak in/out; another thing i read was that DT770 feels really sturdy paired with people commenting about a recurring problem with a screw on the earpads of the D2000 and in general, saying it feels fragile. The DT770 also includes a nice carrying bag that I see myself using while traveling(widh ipod, no amp YET) and is also cheaper... as you can see there a few + on the DT770 side, but after all, I'm spending around $200 for the hp so i wanna be sure I'm getting the best for that price, and FWIR the D2000 are better for music, movies, gaming. I'm not from USA so when I buy the hp i cant forget about RMA, hence my concern about durability.

Thanks in advance for your input! (any suggestions about soundcard or hp are appreciated of course), btw, which version should i choose in case of the DT770 (32ohm, 250ohm, 600ohm).

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 23
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

Option 1: buy the DT770 / 80 and deal with the often faulted - overly bass centric frequency response.

Option 2: buy the D2000 for home use, and portable headphones for portable use. Fix the screw if it comes loose or use the warranty.

Option 3: buy other closed headphones that can be used at home and portable like the ATH-M50 for ~$100.

Option 4: buy other headphones - open or closed for home use, and portable headphones for portable use. 

You can buy headphones now with the idea of upgrading the upstream equipment later. But what would your budget be for this? 

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 23
Ok if I forget about portability, which one would you choose? If its a problem with just a screw getting lose i can ignore that and as you say, get a new set of hp for my ipod. My budget is around ~400 for soundcard - hp and i really want the best for gaming - music. I'm also digging into DIY forums because i love those projects, I'm always making stuff, I'm good with electronics and i have a dremel 
very_evil_smiley.gif
, I'm so making an amp hahaha, just deciding which one. I can get my hands into an ANCIENT Kenwood KA-3600 for now.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 23
Your seriously looking for the EXACT things i am; and the same headsets!

Protip: The Xonar ST sounds better than the Xonar STX
Protip 2: If your not already, buy everything you can off of Newegg.com

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 23
I would go with the DT770s. They're pretty durable. I believe the resistances do matter a lot for the DT770s. Look up some graphs. The 600 ohm ones have less bass i think (not 100% sure). If you go for DT880s (if you ever want to) don't worry about the resistances, they don't matter. You can also check out the DT990s, which are kind of like the DT770s but open. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
I would go with the DT770s. They're pretty durable. I believe the resistances do matter a lot for the DT770s. Look up some graphs. The 600 ohm ones have less bass i think (not 100% sure). If you go for DT880s (if you ever want to) don't worry about the resistances, they don't matter. You can also check out the DT990s, which are kind of like the DT770s but open. 

The 880's and 990's are inferior to the 770's for gaming.

also i stumbled upon these: Denon Ah-D1100

Its there newest set.. the description on there website makes me VERY curious.

“Acoustic Luxury” Over-Ear Headphones
Designed for hours of fatigue-free listening, the AH-D1100 over-ear headphones feature remarkably light weight (6.7 oz., cable not included) along with a host of exclusive Denon technologies for the ultimate in audio fidelity and listening comfort. Denon’s Acoustic Optimizer technology provides balanced acoustical pressure on both sides of the large 50mm diaphragms, which are powered by advanced neodymium magnet motor systems.
Internally Angled Driver Design
Unlike conventional headphones, the AH-D1100 features internally angled drivers which provide superior aural matching with the ear canal for the ultimate in audio fidelity. The large diameter 50mm drivers provide extended frequency response up to 37 kHz for the utmost fidelity with wideband audio sources such as lossless FLAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and also provide tremendous reach down to the very lowest bass notes.
Hours Of Listening Comfort
Denon’s professional over-ear headphones are the premiere choice of the world’s most renowned DJs due to their combination of fidelity and comfort. The AH-D1100 features that same elevated combination of comfort and fidelity and can be worn with ease for far longer than conventional headphones. The earpieces feature supple synthetic leather covers over compliant foam pads that together provide superior acoustical isolation along with unparalleled comfort.
Hybrid Metal Housing
The earpiece housings are constructed of a multi-layer sandwich design that incorporates machined aluminum alloy bonded to a resin compound material that together provide the ultimate combination of lightness and rigidity, providing superb resonance-free sound across the entire audio range.

OMG these are so damn SEXY looking too, i almost cant help myself. These are super new so there are very little reviews.. but i cant help myself.. too.. sexy...and.. new...

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
Your seriously looking for the EXACT things i am; and the same headsets!

Protip: The Xonar ST sounds better than the Xonar STX
Protip 2: If your not already, buy everything you can off of Newegg.com

Im not form US and newegg wont take any non-us credit card 
mad.gif
 although i always buy from amazon(computer stuff) and never had a problem, not even once after 10 years or something.

Quote:

Thanks for replies guys, ok I'm pretty much sold on the DT770, i considered DT880 - DT990 but i need closed hp, my wife sleeps like 3mtrs away from my pc and i use my PC every night, also i will probably use them with my ipod for travels after i build on of those DIY amps(still deciding which one) so i don't want to bother other people with my music taste.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
Quote:

The 880's and 990's are inferior to the 770's for gaming.

also i stumbled upon these: Denon Ah-D1100

Its there newest set.. the description on there website makes me VERY curious.

“Acoustic Luxury” Over-Ear Headphones
Designed for hours of fatigue-free listening, the AH-D1100 over-ear headphones feature remarkably light weight (6.7 oz., cable not included) along with a host of exclusive Denon technologies for the ultimate in audio fidelity and listening comfort. Denon’s Acoustic Optimizer technology provides balanced acoustical pressure on both sides of the large 50mm diaphragms, which are powered by advanced neodymium magnet motor systems.
Internally Angled Driver Design
Unlike conventional headphones, the AH-D1100 features internally angled drivers which provide superior aural matching with the ear canal for the ultimate in audio fidelity. The large diameter 50mm drivers provide extended frequency response up to 37 kHz for the utmost fidelity with wideband audio sources such as lossless FLAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and also provide tremendous reach down to the very lowest bass notes.
Hours Of Listening Comfort
Denon’s professional over-ear headphones are the premiere choice of the world’s most renowned DJs due to their combination of fidelity and comfort. The AH-D1100 features that same elevated combination of comfort and fidelity and can be worn with ease for far longer than conventional headphones. The earpieces feature supple synthetic leather covers over compliant foam pads that together provide superior acoustical isolation along with unparalleled comfort.
Hybrid Metal Housing
The earpiece housings are constructed of a multi-layer sandwich design that incorporates machined aluminum alloy bonded to a resin compound material that together provide the ultimate combination of lightness and rigidity, providing superb resonance-free sound across the entire audio range.

OMG these are so damn SEXY looking too, i almost cant help myself. These are super new so there are very little reviews.. but i cant help myself.. too.. sexy...and.. new...

Agreed. I did not read the OP's post carefully. The DT770s are definitely not for gaming. At all. I personally like the DT880s (I own them so haha) but they are the most balanced of the Beyers. 

Those Denons do look pretty awsome. I have never tried a Denon product so I can't vouch for them. They do have a good rating here at head fi. If the OP considers on getting these I would wait a little to see if the price will drop. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 23
Hi everyone,

I love my Denon AH-D2000s and got them for $190 a few weeks ago.

Though I have not had them long enough to speak to their durability from experience, there is a video review from Dave Rat in which they did well.

He comments that he feels that their cloth covered cables were likely to last well, though he liked them mostly for their relatively flat frequency response (which I like too since I use them for tracking and mixing.)

Anyway you can find his review by googling "Dave Rat- The mighty headphone quest"  there are multiple parts but the Denons were in the final group in the last one I could find.

I hope this helps some.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 23
Well it depends on what games you want to play. If you play things like modern warfare or battlefront 2 etc positioning will probably be very important. DT770s aren't most ideal for gaming, they'll work but not as good as say the AD700s or the DT880s. 

If you play things like SCII, TF2, DoTA, WC3, etc it shouldn't matter at all which headphones you use. 

I personally would hold off on the Denons if you're looking at them to wait for more reviews. Since they're so new I doubt they're good for the money you spend on them. Give them a little for the price to drop. They probably aren't good for gaming either. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Though I have not had them long enough to speak to their durability from experience, there is a video review from Dave Rat in which they did well.

He comments that he feels that their cloth covered cables were likely to last well, though he liked them mostly for their relatively flat frequency response (which I like too since I use them for tracking and mixing.)

Anyway you can find his review by googling "Dave Rat- The mighty headphone quest"  there are multiple parts but the Denons were in the final group in the last one I could find.

I hope this helps some.

Thanks! ill watch it right away.

Quote:
Well it depends on what games you want to play. If you play things like modern warfare or battlefront 2 etc positioning will probably be very important. DT770s aren't most ideal for gaming, they'll work but not as good as say the AD700s or the DT880s. 

If you play things like SCII, TF2, DoTA, WC3, etc it shouldn't matter at all which headphones you use. 

I personally would hold off on the Denons if you're looking at them to wait for more reviews. Since they're so new I doubt they're good for the money you spend on them. Give them a little for the price to drop. They probably aren't good for gaming either. 

hahahhaa i lol'ed, you pretty much wrote every single game i play most of the time.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I hope this helps some.

Thanks! ill watch it right away.

Quote:

hahahhaa i lol'ed, you pretty much wrote every single game i play most of the time.

Woa woa woa, WHAT are you talking about?? The DT 770 Pro-80's are one of the best gaming headsets for audio positioning and sound stage. There almost Identical with the Denon AHD2000's.

Update: Denon AHD2000's are better than the newer 1100's. Figures.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
Xaborus, which one would you get for you? DT770 or D2000?

Edit: Ulgh now after watching a review on the DT770 pro-80's i kind of want to get them more.
They DT770's look really solid.. and the velor pads look super comfy.

Pleather pads on the D2000 can break down and get sweaty in our hot gaming rooms. Damn our 600W+ gaming rigs xD.

I'm probably going with the DT770- Pro 80's! (the best model for gamers)

The DT770's are pretty much proven for gamers. And we need our comfort and build quality for those nerd-rage-fests :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back