World Cup 2014
Jul 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #197 of 377
A quick reminder Gawker published last week: Ann Coulter is a troll. She is not interested in our counter arguments, she just wants to piss everyone off.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #199 of 377

there's a few that have made their mark in the English Premier League... Tim Howard is at legendry status at his club Everton.

Yeah, but I was talking about the MLS guys. Tim's a well-known Premier League figure. DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle?) must be catching the eye of European clubs, the way he's performed.

I know Julian Green is in the reserve-grade team at Bayern Munich, so he will almost certainly develop as a player.

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #200 of 377
  In most countries, Football is the #1 sport though. They are already playing close to their potential.

The USA got to the last sixteen using a talent pool that's a tiny fraction of what they could have.

football is our national game and it's tribal in England at Club level, I can't ever see it being tribal in the USA mainly because of distances & the franchise system.

our football clubs have deep rooted local ties and cannot be uprooted by takeovers etc., in Germany they have more or less given control of Clubs to the fans (like Barcelona)... Sky-Sports has changed the game in England, we have seen a massive influx of overseas players that has severely restricted the advancement of our own youth team development squads, the effects are now being felt at a National level where average players fill most of the England team.... the last great England team was back in '98 since then we have become woeful which is worrying as I really cannot see any future England team making it out of the Group stages of any competition.

btw it's FOOTBALL... not futbol or soccer...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #201 of 377

Yeah, but I was talking about the MLS guys. Tim's a well-known Premier League figure. DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle?) must be catching the eye of European clubs, the way he's performed.

I know Julian Green is in the reserve-grade team at Bayern Munich, so he will almost certainly develop as a player.

Update: I just Googled Yedlin's name, and Belgian club Anderlecht are the first to show interest.

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #202 of 377

expect to see Yedlin in the Premier League, Jones & Johnson will have a shout as they showed great application, Beasley (love that guy, honest player like Yedlin) is probably too old which is a bit of a shame.

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #204 of 377

expect to see Yedlin in the Premier League, Jones & Johnson will have a shout as they showed great application, Beasley (love that guy, honest player like Yedlin) is probably too old which is a bit of a shame.

I don't know; I could see a decent standard club offering Beasley a short contract - 2 years, perhaps? He's had a few spells in English, Scottish, Dutch and German Football in the past, so clubs know what sort of player he is, and he's just proved he's still got something to give.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #206 of 377

I don't know; I could see a decent standard club offering Beasley a short contract - 2 years, perhaps? He's had a few spells in English, Scottish, Dutch and German Football in the past, so clubs know what sort of player he is, and he's just proved he's still got something to give.

Beasley is a bit of an enigma at club level, there again he was played more in midfield in England (if memory serves me right), not his best position and probably suffered because of it.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #208 of 377
watched some of her interviews, ohh my... you guys certainly know how to breed nut-jobs, best I don't get into evolution of football with that thing woman... :wink_face:

We don't put nut-jobs in asylums, we give them their own TV & radio shows...
http://www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/?p=1259
http://www.usnews.com/news/washington-whispers/slideshows/top-10-most-hated-news-commentators/1

The list goes on & on...

I'm not sure I understand the idea of teams being "tribal in England" - what do you mean? Aren't players still traded between teams? While it's true that in the US pro sports teams can move between cities - it is always a big deal when it happens to one of the old, established teams. There's still growth and expansion that happens in US pro sports, and that leads to teams moving to what the owners see as "better markets". It's part of the corporate nature of US pro teams. The majority of the owners have no real ties to the cities where the team plays. They may love the sport and the team, but ultimately they typically just see the city where they play as a source of revenue.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #210 of 377
Vorsprung through experience. Really showed how to defend a lead.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back