World Cup 2014
Jul 2, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #181 of 377
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/02/sports/worldcup/world-cup-2014-against-belgium-usa-shows-grit-in-another-second-round-exit.html?

Nice article!

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #182 of 377

That's probably true, speakers in general give a better overall experience when you listen to large sporting events, or anything in a large venue for that matter. With the right speakers, everything sounds better on speakers actually 
wink.gif

For some of the matches in the World Cup, the BBC has offered a 'no commentary' option. When that happens, you can crank the volume right up and feel the atmosphere fill your room.

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #183 of 377
  I think if the U.S.A. had the level of experience at playing soccer that most of the European teams have, tonight Belgium wouldn't  have stand a chance.

Great game.

As far as experience is concerned, I wonder if some of the home-based players in the USA team might be sought out by European clubs. The World Cup is a shop window for talent.

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #184 of 377
As for experience I think that is what got the US team so far. They clearly had better nervers last quarter :) They and Australia are in groups so they get through by default so they can focus on the world cup several years in advance whereas the European teams for example have to play another WC just to qualify. Is there any of the belgian players that has played in the world cup before?

Sure the bigger teams like Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain etc do tend to make it  but Belgium has really struggled the last decades not qualifying to either EC or WC. But they have another golden generation now it seems :).

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #185 of 377
This is the first WC or EC for us since 2000. Of all the players in the selection only one has played in a WC before (Daniel Vanbuyten, the Bayern Munich defender about to retire).
We've got a good team now and hopefully we'll be able to compete in the upcoming EC and WC again

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #186 of 377
If the game spreads more in the USA, the statistical chance of them unearthing some seriously top-class talent will grow. The surface has barely been scratched in a vast, sport-loving population.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #187 of 377
Well that goes for every single country though :p

Honestly I am waiting for China to become world dominant. The nice thing with football is that it don´t cost a fortune like ice hockey and is very accessible :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #188 of 377

Honestly I am waiting for China to become world dominant. The nice thing with football is that it don´t cost a fortune like ice hockey and is very accessible :)

China have fairly decent team, but the sport's not a major one in that country either, at least as far as participation is concerned.

As for accessibility, this is Football's strength. A flat area, two sets of goal markers and a ball. Factor in easy-to-understand rules - you've got yourself a game!

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #189 of 377

they're sure working on it...
eek.gif

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-06-25/china-takes-bold-steps-towards-a-dream-of-world-cup-glory/

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #191 of 377
In the USA, a huge number of kids play soccer when they are young (ages 5-13), but far fewer play past that. In addition, for the young kids, it is often not seen as a seriously competitive event - it's more just a social activity to let the kids run around for an hour a couple of times a week - then they go have pizza and ice cream. In fact, trying to give your kids "competitive spirit" seems to now be frowned upon by many people in the USA. Personally, I don't see how that is good for the kids or America.

My kids both played soccer for a couple years starting when they were 5, but neither of them made it past the "run around in a pack and occasionally kick the ball" stage.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #192 of 377
At least in Oregon soccer is uber competitive and it's the other sports complaining that futbol is taking kids away. Refreshing. My daughter played competitive till at 17 blew her kneecap out and was never the same.

I agree with post two up - America is just now on the upswing while other countries live and die with futbol. We can only go up from here!

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #193 of 377
At least in Oregon soccer is uber competitive and it's the other sports complaining that futbol is taking kids away. Refreshing. My daughter played competitive till at 17 blew her kneecap out and was never the same.

I agree with post two up - America is just now on the upswing while other countries live and die with futbol. We can only go up from here!

Yes those knee injuries is all to common in woman football. Maybe not the primary cause for the knee injuries but I don´t understand why they must play with the 5 football. 4 football would make for a better and faster game with more technique involved. May actually be better for men football also.

Does anybody dare to predict the quarter finals? Would be really cool if small Costa Rica go on and win the whole thing :)

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #194 of 377
Some American called Ann Coulter has written a couple of pieces on the World Cup - either she's a gabbling nitwit or a genius satirist. The latter seems unlikely.

Article 1: Football is for horrid foreign types and, furthermore, is immoral - http://www.clarionledger.com/story/opinion/columnists/2014/06/25/coulter-growing-interest-soccer-sign-nations-moral-decay/11372137/

Article 2: Football is for sissies and women and all the people who pointed out the factual errors in Article 1 are actually just proving me right - http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-07-02.html

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #195 of 377
Well it´s nice she supports women football at least. I suppose it´s this type of football she supports https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X9BvS_02k5Q 
biggrin.gif

But anyway I think she will get a raise she is getting the clicks. Quite obvious what she is doing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back