Work out IME
Jan 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sandman88

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of earbuds for working out. I will use them for the guy and running. I like good sound quality. I listen to rock,metal and rap. I was looking at a few and then narrowed it down. The two I have been looking at are the klipsch s4i rugged and sennheiser OCX 685i SPORTS. I noticed that both have very good reviews and very bad reviews. The bad reviews made me second guess if I want to buy either. I can get them for 50 on amazon. Is there anything anyone suggests about these two or any otheres?

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 18
The Shure 215 makes a great workout phone under $100.

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 18
I recommend that you use one with dynamic drivers. They are more tolerant to sweat.

How do you figure this?  More specifically, why would this be, how does the structure of a dynamic tolerate more sweat than the structure of a BA?  

My price range is to keep it under $100. What do you mean by dynamic drivers?

Maybe something from ThinkSound (TS02, MS01) or Brainwavz (M3, M4) might do the trick.  I'm trying to find something that's a little gassy with a v-shape as those would fit your genres of music you listen to (and the fact that those frequencies are the first to go when you are moving around).  The TS02 and M4 both have mic'd models available if you use an iDevice or Android device.  

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 18

I should have said that I think they are more tolerant to sweat. I have used several balanced armature iems at the gym and they have all stopped working after extensive use. That has never happened to any of my dynamic driver iems.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 18

I should have said that I think they are more tolerant to sweat. I have used several balanced armature iems at the gym and they have all stopped working after extensive use. That has never happened to any of my dynamic driver iems.

One person's experience doesn't infer fact, never has.  Custom IEMs are among the most sweated on due to their professional applications, many of Shure's IEMs are also used for professional applications.  This involves stage use which can get very sweaty...  They all use BA's.  

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 18
Thanks for the information so far. I did not see any ThinkSound or Brainwavz when I was researching earbuds. Are they reputable manufactures? I did see great reviews on a few Shure IMEs. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks for the information so far. I did not see any ThinkSound or Brainwavz when I was researching earbuds. Are they reputable manufactures? I did see great reviews on a few Shure IMEs. 

Brainwavz is well respected on Head-Fi, ThinkSound is reputable as well. There are reviews of their products on Head-Fi as well. The NuForce NE700 may also be of interest, although their build isn't as great.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 18
I have looked at each of the ones you have all recommended and it is very hard to make a decision. I like the Shure se215's but I don't know about spending 100 dollars for workout IMEs. How do the Sennheiser CX215 stay in the ear while working out/running? I also was looking at the reviews on them and they seem nice. The ThinkSound and Brainwavz also seemed nice. Like I said I love music and sound quality as well as something that will stay in my ear while working out/running. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 18
If you like IEM's I think the best bang for the buck is the Meelctronics M6.  They can be picked up for right around 20 bucks.   For under 20 dollars, this is an amazing diamond in the rough!   Bass that really slams and solid mids and highs.  This is definitely an IEM that puts some motivation into your workout. 

Yurbuds Sig series is another pretty solid workout headphone.  reflective cable and decent sound and VERY LOUD! 

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 18
  I have looked at each of the ones you have all recommended and it is very hard to make a decision. I like the Shure se215's but I don't know about spending 100 dollars for workout IMEs. How do the Sennheiser CX215 stay in the ear while working out/running? I also was looking at the reviews on them and they seem nice. The ThinkSound and Brainwavz also seemed nice. Like I said I love music and sound quality as well as something that will stay in my ear while working out/running. 

I routinely use the CX215s when I run and I've never had an issue with them falling out. I use the foam tips and usually wear them cable-up for both security and to cut down on microphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back