Woo's New Flagship WA33
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #1,907 of 3,213
These little glass and metal things cost so much.. I can't help but feel (a bit) silly.
I agree.
We all know that we're never going to get the price performance ratio from upgrades, but the WE's + adapters are a bit over the top in this regard. With that being said, I am enjoying what I'm hearing so far from the WE drivers, though.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #1,908 of 3,213

Just received the we417a tubes.. But can't try them yet as still waiting on the adaptors.

Had no idea these tubes were so small. Man.. These little glass and metal things cost so much.. I can't help but feel (a bit) silly.
I have my tubes too, and I'm also waiting on the adaptors. I emailed Woo Audio about it, and they said it takes a long time to individually solder them (because they're so small), and I'm assuming they have a backlog. I'm hoping to get my adaptors this week, but it's a holiday in the US, so I dunno

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #1,909 of 3,213
Once again, does anyone know if a Matrix elementX has enough power to drive these Abyss 1266s? It'd be nice to use a DAC + solid state solution until I get a WA33, but if it doesn't work at all... kind of pointless!

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #1,910 of 3,213
Once again, does anyone know if a Matrix elementX has enough power to drive these Abyss 1266s? It'd be nice to use a DAC + solid state solution until I get a WA33, but if it doesn't work at all... kind of pointless!
Well, it's: 1700mW @33ohm (XLR4/Dual XLR3), so possibly. However, I think ideally, you would want a bit more power

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #1,911 of 3,213
Well, it's: 1700mW @33ohm (XLR4/Dual XLR3), so possibly. However, I think ideally, you would want a bit more power
Any particular threshold? The formula S/powerman thing looks so ugly and clunky, I'm having a hard time succumbing to it. Might just wait for a WA33 for everything I guess?

I also have Senn HD800s. Was planning to drive those too. I see you have Susvaras, 1266s, and the HD800s. What's your take on similarities and differences? I mainly listen to jazz, classical, and electronic.

I'm looking to upgrade my headphone setup for Christmas. The Matrix elementX was my plan for a DAC. The WA33 JPS was my plan for a tube amp. Dunno tho... Apparently the Topping D90se measures just as well as the elementX, but I don't see Summit-Fi folks taking anything by Topping seriously lol

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,912 of 3,213
Any particular threshold? The formula S/powerman thing looks so ugly and clunky, I'm having a hard time succumbing to it. Might just wait for a WA33 for everything I guess?

I also have Senn HD800s. Was planning to drive those too. I see you have Susvaras, 1266s, and the HD800s. What's your take on similarities and differences? I mainly listen to jazz, classical, and electronic.

I'm looking to upgrade my headphone setup for Christmas. The Matrix elementX was my plan for a DAC. The WA33 JPS was my plan for a tube amp. Dunno tho... Apparently the Topping D90se measures just as well as the elementX, but I don't see Summit-Fi folks taking anything by Topping seriously lol
I would recommend the Chord Hugo TT2, using the XLR outputs on the back, for a solid state option.

I think the Susvaras are very pleasant sounding, has great imagining, and is the most forgiving for poorly mastered recordings (Black Metal is a good example). The TCs are amazing with EDM, Hip-Hop and Metal. They are my favorite headphones. The bass is crazy. The 800S has a crazy soundstage, and I like to use it as my neutral headphones. The TCs and Susvaras are much better though

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,913 of 3,213
I would recommend the Chord Hugo TT2, using the XLR outputs on the back, for a solid state option.

I think the Susvaras are very pleasant sounding, has great imagining, and is the most forgiving for poorly mastered recordings (Black Metal is a good example). The TCs are amazing with EDM, Hip-Hop and Metal. They are my favorite headphones. The bass is crazy. The 800S has a crazy soundstage, and I like to use it as my neutral headphones. The TCs and Susvaras are much better though
Got it.

So the Susvaras may be better for Jazz and Classical while the TCs are better for EDM, etc.?

Do you prefer solid state over your WA33 tubes? Certainly if I just went solid state it'd be cheaper than the WA33 JPS I have my eye on. Part of me thinks I'd enjoy the tube, especially with the more neutral Senns. Might make them a little a warmer. Maybe a perfect balance for them.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,914 of 3,213
Got it.

So the Susvaras may be better for Jazz and Classical while the TCs are better for EDM, etc.?

Do you prefer solid state over your WA33 tubes? Certainly if I just went solid state it'd be cheaper than the WA33 JPS I have my eye on. Part of me thinks I'd enjoy the tube, especially with the more neutral Senns. Might make them a little a warmer. Maybe a perfect balance for them.
I know a few folks love classical out of the TCs, so I think either would be good. If you want a laid back sound, go with the Susvaras. If you want bass and more in your face sound, go with the TCs. Both do resolution, soundstage, and imaging very well.

I like my WA33 EE JPS a lot! It's my favorite component in my chain. I previously had the standard WA33, and loved it so much, I upgraded to the Elite. The soundstage and holographic nature of the WA33 is just amazing. I like to "see" my sounds, so I'm big into imaging and soundstage. Also, the bass is really great out of the WA33 (I'm also a big basshead). I think you might get additional bass with a solid-state though.

Here's something you can look into. A bunch of people have bought the CFA3, a custom solid state that costs $3K. I've never heard it, but several posters on here, whose opinions I value, love the CFA3. There's a thread on here somewhere where you can email the guy who makes them and he'll do the build for you. I don't really know how that works, but I'm sure you could find some quick info with a search

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #1,915 of 3,213
CFA3 might be the move.

That said, I'm not totally opposed to the Hugo. I suppose, I'm just wondering what the lateral options are there. Chord's aesthetic gives me pause, haha!

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #1,916 of 3,213

actually I think the combo is quite nice looking...

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #1,917 of 3,213
CFA3 might be the move.

That said, I'm not totally opposed to the Hugo. I suppose, I'm just wondering what the lateral options are there. Chord's aesthetic gives me pause, haha!
If you decide on the WA33 SE/EE version you should have multiple directions to go with headphones. Also if you are interested in a good deal right now Adorama is selling the Hifiman HE6 SE V2 right now normal price $1700 now with free shipping $575 which is a steal.
Just received mine a couple of hours ago and they sound great and I like them better than my recent sold Hifiman Arya‘s which had a V-shape sound stage vs the HE6 SE more wider. Pretty impressed with them for this price but like the Susvara’s require decent power to make them shine. Which is another benefit of the WA33 never have to worry about power with any headphone and customize the sound based on tube preference.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,918 of 3,213
Yeah I think I've made my mind up about the tube amp. I'm likely going WA33 JPS (SE). I'm not all that convinced that the EE will be all that much more of an ugprade over the SE with JPS. Also, the people at Abyss seem to be pretty skeptical about the WA33 EE even with the JPS.

Going forward then my concerns will be about Susvara vs Abyss and what sort of DAC I need. At the moment I'm thinking I'll go Abyss 1266 TC because the Susvara seems more similar to the Senn 800s than the Abyss, which could give me a different take (e.g. more bass, faster driver, etc.). I'm still lost on the DAC situation. I was targeting the Matrix element X, but the Summit-Fi crowd seem obsessed with Chord. Dunno!

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #1,919 of 3,213
What do they go for and what year are they?

To be honest, I don't know what year they are. All I know is, tubedepot has a whole bunch of them (last they told me was about 30 pieces, and u can see the price on their website), and they were willing to help test and quad match for me.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #1,920 of 3,213
Yeah I think I've made my mind up about the tube amp. I'm likely going WA33 JPS (SE). I'm not all that convinced that the EE will be all that much more of an ugprade over the SE with JPS. Also, the people at Abyss seem to be pretty skeptical about the WA33 EE even with the JPS.

Going forward then my concerns will be about Susvara vs Abyss and what sort of DAC I need. At the moment I'm thinking I'll go Abyss 1266 TC because the Susvara seems more similar to the Senn 800s than the Abyss, which could give me a different take (e.g. more bass, faster driver, etc.). I'm still lost on the DAC situation. I was targeting the Matrix element X, but the Summit-Fi crowd seem obsessed with Chord. Dunno!
There are other dac options out there. Are you able to audition other brands? For me, personally i would go out there and audition as many dac/amps as possible. Let your ears decide what sounds good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back