Woo's New Flagship WA33
Nov 11, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #1,876 of 3,214
I was tempted about those new tubes and adapters, so I pulled the trigger. I’m a bit skeptical, but we shall see. If it results in a better wa33 though, that a win :L3000:

Nov 12, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,878 of 3,214
Received the WE 417A/5842 drivers today...and the burn in begins.
PS: These adapter are solidly built with quite some weight to them

IMG_0408.jpeg
IMG_0407.jpeg

Nov 12, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,879 of 3,214
Received my adapters today and installed the WE 417a tubes. Just a short listen but I hear a greater precision and control to the presentation. That is especially noted in the upper end where I thought the EH was a little loose and let a little glare peek through. Now to get the KRs and should be back up to optimal sound.

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #1,880 of 3,214
Received my adapters today and installed the WE 417a tubes. Just a short listen but I hear a greater precision and control to the presentation. That is especially noted in the upper end where I thought the EH was a little loose and let a little glare peek through. Now to get the KRs and should be back up to optimal sound.

KRs and the WE417as are a great match :)

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #1,882 of 3,214
Nov 13, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,883 of 3,214
Yeah sad to hear that.
Sometimes small companies go the extra mile but stop when they become bigger.

I used to have a used Rockna Wavelight in silver. Bought it for 2500€.
After I managed to get all other components in black it started bothering me, so I reached out to my Dealer.
The plan was to send my unit to Rockna and they put the internals into a black chassis, charge 400€ and send it back to me.

In reality I sent my unit in and they just shipped a completely new black Wavelight to me. No new invoice, no extended warranty, but a completely new Wavelight.
Sure black is the other Standard color but it was still nice to get this treatment.
Including shipping I basically paid 3000€ for a brand new Wavelight. And ever since then my setup is classy Black from head to toe.

Even my Elite is an all black special edition.

I didn't take it as just a size thing, but rather, a branding thing (at least that's what he said). Naim, I believe, only sells in black. Auralic was going for the same - and now that they have 30 different boxes you can buy - they didn't want a silver one out in the wild to where a picture could end up on the internet and they would have a bunch of requests. That's why I think it's actually a cost thing: that much cheaper to only have to make one color chassis - especially when multiple components you make fit in that chassis. It's a shame, because I like everything about that component - except the color - but something that big would stick out like a sore thumb. I ordered an Enleum 23r which only comes in black (didn't receive yet), and figure, stacked on my mScaler, it won't ruin the look because it's tiny. Maybe I'll do a full silver rack and a full black rack - as I'm running out of space :)

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #1,884 of 3,214
I was tempted about those new tubes and adapters, so I pulled the trigger. I’m a bit skeptical, but we shall see. If it results in a better wa33 though, that a win :L3000:

Cig - if you like the Tak with the KR tubes, I think you'll like what the WE417as do to the sound :) If I had to summarize, you'll get more clarity and sound stage depth/width.

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,885 of 3,214
Tube question: Before initially upgrading my tubes on my original Wa33, I read elsewhere (and not specific to the Wa33) that the rectifier makes no/little difference as it's not in the signal path. Now it may be amp dependent, but - at least with the Wa33 - I don't find that to be the case. I've tried the stock 5u4g, one of Joseph's NOS rectifier's (I'm forgetting which one), The USAF 596, the Tak 274B, and the KR 274B. I find the differences to the sound are rather dramatic. In other words, while I haven't tried it - I am sure I could pick out certain rectifiers blind, compared to others. Some would be hard like the USAF vs the Tak - because they do similar things. But if I'm comparing either of those to the KR or stock, I could pick it out.

Read something about the amount of voltage / B+ the rectifier provides - and voltage sag. Does anyone have a high-level understanding of what the rectifier does and why it can sound so different?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #1,886 of 3,214
I’ve read the same thing about rectifiers not making a difference. But just like you I can definitely hear a difference.

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #1,887 of 3,214
I'm sitting in agony looking at the price difference between the SE and EE. I wanted someone to say the SE is fine enough, but here we are with the EE is a different level...

Does the JPS wiring really take it even further with the EE or can I shave off some price there? 🙏

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,888 of 3,214
I'm sitting in agony looking at the price difference between the SE and EE. I wanted someone to say the SE is fine enough, but here we are with the EE is a different level...

Does the JPS wiring really take it even further with the EE or can I shave off some price there? 🙏
Well the SE is certainly fine enough and one of the very best available amplifiers.

It's just thst the EE for a noteable price increase can still improve further

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #1,889 of 3,214
Well the SE is certainly fine enough and one of the very best available amplifiers.

It's just thst the EE for a noteable price increase can still improve further
Any thoughts on EE JPS vs. non-JPS. I've always been highly skeptical of wires and cables adding much. Always feels like snake oil to me. Maybe I'm wrong...

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,890 of 3,214
Any thoughts on EE JPS vs. non-JPS. I've always been highly skeptical of wires and cables adding much. Always feels like snake oil to me. Maybe I'm wrong...

I think cables do make a difference, but the "regular" EE still uses single crystal copper throughout. For me, it's more of a tuning thing than anything else - and that's where I'd imagine the JPS-EE vs non-JPS EE to be different. That said, I haven't listened to the JPS EE, but have the EE and had the SE.

Maybe ask Woo their thoughts on the different signatures.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back