Woo's New Flagship WA33
Nov 21, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #1,891 of 3,227
I think cables do make a difference, but the "regular" EE still uses single crystal copper throughout. For me, it's more of a tuning thing than anything else - and that's where I'd imagine the JPS-EE vs non-JPS EE to be different. That said, I haven't listened to the JPS EE, but have the EE and had the SE.

Maybe ask Woo their thoughts on the different signatures.
Which tubes do you recommend? I see the KR quad set is like $2.5k. Noticeable over the stock tubes?

Nov 21, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,892 of 3,227
Yes. Especially with Abyss and Susvara. With warmer headphones like the LCD-4 I like the PSvane ACME 2a3s. The tubes make dramatic changes, especially with this amp. You’ll find a ton of recommendations on this thread and there are lots you can try.

That said - I enjoy the stock tubes as well. They certainly are not bad.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,893 of 3,227
Yes. Especially with Abyss and Susvara. With warmer headphones like the LCD-4 I like the PSvane ACME 2a3s. The tubes make dramatic changes, especially with this amp. You’ll find a ton of recommendations on this thread and there are lots you can try.

I use Sennheiser HD800s. They're allegedly more neutral, so I'm hoping a tube amp will bring some warmth in.

Nov 21, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #1,894 of 3,227

Which do you prefer between the Susvara and Abyss? I mainly listen to jazz, classical, and electronic.

I wish I could find a place to loan/lend so I could compare lol

Nov 21, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #1,895 of 3,227
Which do you prefer between the Susvara and Abyss? I mainly listen to jazz, classical, and electronic.

No op but my personal take is Abyss excels at thundering bass with almost clinical details whereas Susvara has an overall softer presentation, but with more sweetness and emotion, and probably more "realness".

My preference:
Electronic - Abyss for excitement
Jazz - Susvara for instrumental sweetness
Classical - depends on what you want to get out of the music. If you're going for grandiose soundtracks like LOTR, I'll pick Abyss, but if you're going on quieter tracks I'll say Susvara

Nov 21, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #1,896 of 3,227
My rule of thumb:
Drum, cello, anything where beats bring out the rhythm -> Abyss
Guitar, violin, vocal -> Susvara

I guess this is why these two headphones are commonly regarded as good complement of each other.

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #1,897 of 3,227
This is extremely helpful. Thanks.

I think the reality is that I should probably own both. Go figure!

That being said, I listen to far more jazz and classical than anything else. Maybe I should go Susvara then Abyss in order of priority. Expensive hobby!

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #1,898 of 3,227
This is extremely helpful. Thanks.

I think the reality is that I should probably own both. Go figure!

That being said, I listen to far more jazz and classical than anything else. Maybe I should go Susvara then Abyss in order of priority. Expensive hobby!Hi
Hi QuantumKat,

When I first received my WA33 EE I used the stock tubes which are great sounding after about the 100 hour mark everything starts to bloom and open up.
I would say the stock setup up is warm, detailed and great sounding.
I then bought the Tak 274B and added it to the setup and it made everything open up even more with more air to the over sound and still warm in sound.
Then I added all KR HP Tubes along with the Electro Harmonix 6C45Pi Gold-pin Tube which made everything way more focused, accurate, with better separations within the music. I would say this setup is more neutral sounding then the stock or with Tak 274B setup.
My next purchase will be the 417A upgrade soon..

I would contact Woo and explain what sound signature you want. I had the HD800/HD800S with the Violectric Amp which sounded really warm and engaging. If you want to improve with that maybe a WA5-LE 2nd Gen with the 300B might be up your alley. If you are located in Northern California I know Audio Vision in San Francisco has Woo Audio gear to try out, but I think they might charge a listening fee.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,899 of 3,227

I think the Susvara is a great headphone, but I prefer the Abyss overall and it gets most of my listening. I also think the Wa33 significantly improves the mids on the Abyss, while retaining it's other characteristics that set it apart from other headphones: Sound stage, Speaker like presentation, detail, imaging, tactility and thundering bass. In my opinion, if I could only keep one - it would undoubtedly be the Abyss - and I listen to all the genres you do. With Jazz and Electronic it's no contest. With classical, Abyss vs Susvara is a toss up, IMO. I also listen to alot of classical and prog rock - and I've said this before - Abyss is the rock headphone.

Also - check The Cable Company. They have a headphone lending library, They will loan you headphones for a reasonable fee, and apply it to the price of the headphone if you buy. I demoed the Abyss from there. I think they have the Susvara as well.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #1,900 of 3,227
I think the Susvara is a great headphone, but I prefer the Abyss overall and it gets most of my listening. I also think the Wa33 significantly improves the mids on the Abyss, while retaining it's other characteristics that set it apart from other headphones: Sound stage, Speaker like presentation, detail, imaging, tactility and thundering bass. In my opinion, if I could only keep one - it would undoubtedly be the Abyss - and I listen to all the genres you do. With Jazz and Electronic it's no contest. With classical, Abyss vs Susvara is a toss up, IMO. I also listen to alot of classical and prog rock - and I've said this before - Abyss is the rock headphone.

Also - check The Cable Company. They have a headphone lending library, They will loan you headphones for a reasonable fee, and apply it to the price of the headphone if you buy. I demoed the Abyss from there. I think they have the Susvara as well.
Thanks so much for this insight!

It seems to me that the HD800s may be more similar to the Susvara in its strengths relative to the Abyss.

I need to test the Abyss. I think what I'll do is figure out which Woo amp to get by contacting them as suggested. Once that's sorted, I'll try to demo the Abyss first.

Wonderful 👍

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #1,901 of 3,227
Hi QuantumKat,

When I first received my WA33 EE I used the stock tubes which are great sounding after about the 100 hour mark everything starts to bloom and open up.
I would say the stock setup up is warm, detailed and great sounding.
I then bought the Tak 274B and added it to the setup and it made everything open up even more with more air to the over sound and still warm in sound.
Then I added all KR HP Tubes along with the Electro Harmonix 6C45Pi Gold-pin Tube which made everything way more focused, accurate, with better separations within the music. I would say this setup is more neutral sounding then the stock or with Tak 274B setup.
My next purchase will be the 417A upgrade soon..

I would contact Woo and explain what sound signature you want. I had the HD800/HD800S with the Violectric Amp which sounded really warm and engaging. If you want to improve with that maybe a WA5-LE 2nd Gen with the 300B might be up your alley. If you are located in Northern California I know Audio Vision in San Francisco has Woo Audio gear to try out, but I think they might charge a listening fee.
This is massively helpful. Sounds like if my plan is to "warm" my HD800s then the stock or Tak setup is ideal. I suppose my remaining question will be if I have to go all the way to the WA33 EE or I could be fine with something a little cheaper 😂

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #1,902 of 3,227
Well the SE is certainly fine enough and one of the very best available amplifiers.
+1 Absolutely nothing wrong with the Standard Edition WA33. This is the second one I've owned (made the mistake of selling my original) and I could've bought another version but I chose to buy what I previously owned being it sounded so good and spend the savings on tube upgrades instead.
Agreed.
I bought my WA33 based on listening to it with the stock tubes.
You can demo both, the Susvara & 1266 from The Cable Company.

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #1,903 of 3,227
I suppose my remaining question will be if I have to go all the way to the WA33 EE or I could be fine with something a little cheaper 😂
"Something a little cheaper".
None of their versions are "cheap" less expensive would be more like it.
If you feel the need to have something more expensive than the Standard Edition then do so, but again, you will not be disappointed with the SE in any way, shape or form.

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #1,905 of 3,227
20211123_182320.jpg

Just received the we417a tubes.. But can't try them yet as still waiting on the adaptors.

Had no idea these tubes were so small. Man.. These little glass and metal things cost so much.. I can't help but feel (a bit) silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back