Woo's New Flagship WA33
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #1,921 of 3,213
There are other dac options out there. Are you able to audition other brands? For me, personally i would go out there and audition as many dac/amps as possible. Let your ears decide what sounds good.
The only place I see in the U.S. that I could audition with is The Cable Company. Any other places?

Also, eager to hear any other DAC recommendations to go with this amp.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #1,922 of 3,213
There are other dac options out there. Are you able to audition other brands? For me, personally i would go out there and audition as many dac/amps as possible. Let your ears decide what sounds good.
Holo May and forget about Chord. I got rid of my Dave earlier this year.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #1,923 of 3,213
Holo May and forget about Chord. I got rid of my Dave earlier this year.
I think it’s a preference thing though. I’ve heard other posters say the opposite. But, compared to the mDAVE it’s a good deal. So, it does have less of an upfront cost, and I’m assuming resale isn’t terrible, but I don’t know.

Is it easy to audition the Holo May? I know the DAVE is pretty easy to audition, given its ubiquity. Comparing both on one’s own chain is probably the best way to determine preferences.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #1,924 of 3,213
The only place I see in the U.S. that I could audition with is The Cable Company. Any other places?

My experience is best to buy used and negotiate on price. That way you can trial it out for as long as you like, and sell it and try something else with minimal loss, seeing as Chord / Holo are popular products and shouldn't have difficulty selling.

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #1,925 of 3,213

If you are near LA area, Source AV has a huge show room with all sorts of great gear to demo. I had the pleasure to visit earlier this year after canjam and had a the entire room to myself for a few hours. Such a blast.

They do not carry Hifiman or Abyss headphones though. They have pretty much everything else: Woo Audio, Chord, and pretty much every other headphone brands.

IMG_4922.jpeg

IMG_4923.jpeg
IMG_4924.jpeg
IMG_4925.jpeg

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #1,926 of 3,213
I also recommend Rockna DACs.
Personally I use the Wavelight.
The Wavedream is also very well received

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #1,927 of 3,213
If you are near LA area, Source AV has a huge show room with all sorts of great gear to demo. I had the pleasure to visit earlier this year after canjam and had a the entire room to myself for a few hours. Such a blast.

They do not carry Hifiman or Abyss headphones though. They have pretty much everything else: Woo Audio, Chord, and pretty much every other headphone brands.

IMG_4922.jpeg
IMG_4923.jpegIMG_4924.jpegIMG_4925.jpeg
Wow, that's impressive. Too bad I'm on the opposite coast. I'll have to remember TSAV next time I'm in California.

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #1,928 of 3,213
I was hoping Woo would have their WA33 on sale for about 10% off for Black Friday, but so far no go. It remains just a little too far out of reach $$$$$ for now.

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #1,929 of 3,213
I was hoping Woo would have their WA33 on sale for about 10% off for Black Friday, but so far no go. It remains just a little too far out of reach $$$$$ for now.
At one time the WA33 used to be on sale but I forget the discount, I'm pretty sure it was on sale for $6500.00.
I do see they items on sale, but the WA33 is such a fine sounding, good (probably great) selling amplifier I'd say there's no reason to offer it at a sale price.

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #1,930 of 3,213
At one time the WA33 used to be on sale but I forget the discount, I'm pretty sure it was on sale for $6500.00.
I do see they items on sale, but the WA33 is such a fine sounding, good (probably great) selling amplifier I'd say there's no reason to offer it at a sale price.
I hope it won't go on sale anytime soon.
6500$(5750€ + fees) is hard to pass.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,931 of 3,213
I would imagine with the cost of parts going up, it is a challenge to hold the price point already. Makes resale value hold up well though.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,933 of 3,213
I would imagine with the cost of parts going up, it is a challenge to hold the price point already. Makes resale value hold up well though.
True, we can be glad that the price for US didn't increase

My Octave costs 1k more than last year.

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,934 of 3,213
Quick question:

Anyone know if these adapter are safe to use with the preamp outputs of the Wa33?

https://www.moon-audio.com/cardas-r...Bd9ZScfAl8tcfCVptiOurj7s6RTzjxKcaAilXEALw_wcB

I "think" pin 3 is lifted. I bought these a long time ago when I had an auralic vega and it needed a certain type of adapter for the XLR outs to convert to RCA. It worked fine with that.

Not sure if it matter or not, I just don't want to risk damaging my Wa33.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #1,935 of 3,213
I have been unable to locate a used quad of anything much less the KR 2A3 HP anywhere to replace my unlamented EML quads. I had hoped that somewhere somebody would have a storewide discount for BF but apparently that does not happen for tubes(thanks Woo). So I need a little advice and opinions.

My choices: 1) Bite the bullet and pay full price for the KR HP tubes. No one talks about the standard KRs so don't know if they are a viable option. I am feeling the shadow of diminishing returns as they are just godawful expensive. $2590

2) RCA 2A3 I know where I can get a quad of NOS Black Plate Amplitrex tested with matching 1951 dates for $900-1000. The seller has perfect feedback and offers 30 day returns.

3) Psvane ACME 2A3 $1100-$1200 People seem to like them but have concerns about reliability

4) Sophia Electric There has been some talk on here about the Sophia rectifiers but none about the power tubes. I really liked the Sophia Princess 300B I had in my WA5. Sophia offers a 2A3 Mesh for $900. Sophia also offers 3 different models of 300B 2.5v from $900-$1500.

Any thoughts or alternatives are welcome. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back