Woo's New Flagship WA33
Dec 3, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,951 of 3,214
Pangea is a house brand of the online retailer Audio Advisor which does ship internationally. Though certain countries may be excluded. Did you check out the site to see if they'd ship to you?
I checked after reading your post.
Generally they would ship to my country, however the website doesn't specify shipment costs. I'd have to inquire via mail to see if it's worth it

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #1,952 of 3,214
Yes, Cig. That's the one I still have the itch for. How long can you make the cord connecting the DC4? If I did it, I'd probably get a second rack and put them right next to eachother - so I'd have one with black components and one with silver components - if It would work. Half of me wants to keep the Dave stock, and the other half says to go for it.
I think you could ask SJ to make the cord any length you want. It's a great upgrade!

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,953 of 3,214
Received the tube adaptors in the mail today. They're well made, feel solid, and do the job. The Woo ones definitely look better. Will let u see for yourself..

20211209_183115-01-01.jpeg

With the we417a tubes in, feels kind of like candles on a birthday cake LOL.

20211209_183304-01.jpeg

Anyways, first impressions are I like them. Seem to shift the whole FR to the left, with more low end and mids. And at the same time, they have smoothened the top end a fair bit. It is not as jarring as the upgrade 6c45p drivers, especially with the Abyss which can occasionally be a bit piercing with certain songs. Front back depth is a lot better IMO.

I have some issues with the tubes though. With volume knob at zero, I get a loud hum from the R channel (have not swapped tubes position yet), but if I raise the knob up past 8 o'clock, the hum goes away and it is silent. Not sure why this is happening.

*edit
Turns out it may not be the tubes, but the adaptors.. Tried swapping around tubes, but the hum seems to follow one of the adaptors instead.
*edit2
Deyan is going to send me another adaptor. Grateful for the quick response.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,954 of 3,214
I just received my wa33 jps elite amp today, All I can say the emotional enjoyment of the music has greatly increased over the standard edition. Unfortunately, one of my kr 2a3s died upon the amp change and I went back to using the stock electric harmonix 2a3. Despite this, the sound is still in every way an upgrade over the standard edition. Bass is deeper, vocals have a better feels factor and resolution, instruments are more 3d. Overall, I am extremely happy with the upgrade.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #1,955 of 3,214
I just received my wa33 jps elite amp today, All I can say the emotional enjoyment of the music has greatly increased over the standard edition. Unfortunately, one of my kr 2a3s died upon the amp change and I went back to using the stock electric harmonix 2a3. Despite this, the sound is still in every way an upgrade over the standard edition. Bass is deeper, vocals have a better feels factor and resolution, instruments are more 3d. Overall, I am extremely happy with the upgrade.
Really worth the extra 8-9k? Hmmm... 🤔

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,956 of 3,214
Received the tube adaptors in the mail today. They're well made, feel solid, and do the job. The Woo ones definitely look better. Will let u see for yourself..

20211209_183115-01-01.jpeg

With the we417a tubes in, feels kind of like candles on a birthday cake LOL.

20211209_183304-01.jpeg

Anyways, first impressions are I like them. Seem to shift the whole FR to the left, with more low end and mids. And at the same time, they have smoothened the top end a fair bit. It is not as jarring as the upgrade 6c45p drivers, especially with the Abyss which can occasionally be a bit piercing with certain songs. Front back depth is a lot better IMO.

I have some issues with the tubes though. With volume knob at zero, I get a loud hum from the R channel (have not swapped tubes position yet), but if I raise the knob up past 8 o'clock, the hum goes away and it is silent. Not sure why this is happening.

*edit
Turns out it may not be the tubes, but the adaptors.. Tried swapping around tubes, but the hum seems to follow one of the adaptors instead.
*edit2
Deyan is going to send me another adaptor. Grateful for the quick response.
How's the Holo vs the Tambaqui 👀

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #1,957 of 3,214
Dec 9, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #1,958 of 3,214
Really worth the extra 8-9k? Hmmm... 🤔
From first impressions, I would say sure. Diminishing returns surely apply here. But with anything in high end audio we are chasing that last few percent. Its really hard to quantify certain cost to performance increases at this level. 😎

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #1,959 of 3,214
I too had an issue with my adapters and tubes. I had static in one channel. Somehow in attempting to diagnose adapter or tube I hit the right combination of adapter, tube and socket and no more noise. I finally have my WA33 sorted out. I have my DHC Prion4s interconnects. I have the WE 417A drivers(a very nice upgrade). I could not justify the huge cash outlay for the KR 2A3 HP tubes. I was able to locate a quad of RCA 2A3 Black Plates NIB from 1951. I have only 30 hours on the tubes but I am impressed. I have a NIB USAF 596 en route as a quality backup for the Tak 274B. I got my Prion4 back from repair and hooked up to my LCD-5. Life is good. :gs1000smile:

Now if I can just get the image of @Ciggavelli's WA33 Elite next to his 3ES Elite out of my head I am really good!:scream_cat:

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #1,960 of 3,214
Long story short, I prefer the Holo..
Will write down more when I have the chance.
Awesome.

Mind telling me what settings you're using on your May in the meantime? :)

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #1,961 of 3,214
Awesome.

Mind telling me what settings you're using on your May in the meantime? :)

Mostly non upsampled music and NOS mode. Sent via Logitech Media Server/Squeezelite player rather.

But recently am starting to enjoy HQP with Poly-sinc-short-xtr-mp-2s, asdm7ecV2, Dsd256. Very pleasant, non fatiguing, warm sounding filter with really awesome bass.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #1,963 of 3,214
Mostly non upsampled music and NOS mode. Sent via Logitech Media Server/Squeezelite player rather.

But recently am starting to enjoy HQP with Poly-sinc-short-xtr-mp-2s, asdm7ecV2, Dsd256. Very pleasant, non fatiguing, warm sounding filter with really awesome bass.
Lovely.

I think we'll have very similar chains. My plan was Tambaqui - WA33 JPS. I think, depending on what you write out, I might try Holo May KTE first, then try to test out a Tambaqui later. Either way I'm set on the WA33, I'm just torn between JPS SE and JPS EE. Hopefully, I'll get some more opinions on that part soon.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #1,964 of 3,214
Lovely.

I think we'll have very similar chains. My plan was Tambaqui - WA33 JPS. I think, depending on what you write out, I might try Holo May KTE first, then try to test out a Tambaqui later. Either way I'm set on the WA33, I'm just torn between JPS SE and JPS EE. Hopefully, I'll get some more opinions on that part soon.

I'll make it easy for u.
If u want the overall more balanced sound with nice weight and meat on the mids and bass, then May.
If you value clarity and space between elements, airiness, and sharpness and microdetails, then Mola.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #1,965 of 3,214
I'll make it easy for u.
If u want the overall more balanced sound with nice weight and meat on the mids and bass, then May.
If you value clarity and space between elements, airiness, and sharpness and microdetails, then Mola.
That does make it very easy.

My thinking was that I'd use the WA33 to add weight and meat to the mids and bass, not my DAC. Do you feel it's a bit overkill using the May AND the WA33 for that. Or is your sense that the WA33 doesn't really add much weight and meat to the mids and bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back