Woo's New Flagship WA33
Dec 9, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #1,966 of 3,213
That does make it very easy.

My thinking was that I'd use the WA33 to add weight and meat to the mids and bass, not my DAC. Do you feel it's a bit overkill using the May AND the WA33 for that. Or is your sense that the WA33 doesn't really add much weight and meat to the mids and bass?

My take is.. Don't mess up your dac choice and hope that something else down the chain will compensate for it.

I actually find the wa33 quite neutral sounding (maybe slight mids/highs emphasis) especially with 2a3. It gets warmer with 300b 2.5v, and even more so with we417a added in.

I'm on standard wa33 + jps wiring so can't really comment on EE version. But I can tell you that May KTE + WA33 JPS sounds great to me!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #1,967 of 3,213
My take is.. Don't mess up your dac choice and hope that something else down the chain will compensate for it.

I actually find the wa33 quite neutral sounding (maybe slight mids/highs emphasis) especially with 2a3. It gets warmer with 300b 2.5v, and even more so with we417a added in.

I'm on standard wa33 + jps wiring so can't really comment on EE version. But I can tell you that May KTE + WA33 JPS sounds great to me!
I continue to be amazed at how much difference a DAC makes in the chain...

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #1,968 of 3,213

The elite jps wa33 edition adds more meats on the bones compared to the standard edition.

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #1,969 of 3,213
You guys are probably more experienced than me so my observation is probably not as thorough or comprehensive but for me the big difference was the clarity. I didn’t think it was possible but the EE had another gear when it came to clarity.

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #1,970 of 3,213
I feel like everything from the standard is even better on the elite, and the standard is already great. I know it’s been mentioned before, but this can quickly be seen with the Susvaras. The Susvaras really do sound better out of the Elite. That might speak to the scalability of the Susvaras as well, compared to other headphones. The TCs sound better too, along with other headphones of course, but the Susvara went from a pair of headphones I was going to sell with the standard edition, to a pair of headphones that are now my 2nd or 3rd favorite.

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #1,971 of 3,213
I feel like everything from the standard is even better on the elite, and the standard is already great. I know it’s been mentioned before, but this can quickly be seen with the Susvaras. The Susvaras really do sound better out of the Elite. That might speak to the scalability of the Susvaras as well, compared to other headphones. The TCs sound better too, along with other headphones of course, but the Susvara went from a pair of headphones I was going to sell with the standard edition, to a pair of headphones that are now my 2nd or 3rd favorite.

i have to start ignoring your posts..

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #1,972 of 3,213
Now if I can just get the image of @Ciggavelli's WA33 Elite next to his 3ES Elite out of my head I am really good!:scream_cat:
Out of your head onto your desk....

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #1,973 of 3,213
I wish Woo made it easy to test the SE vs EE... Gonna be sick dropping $17k blind on the EE. The pandemic makes auditioning so hard 😬

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,974 of 3,213

I posted it in the Susvara thread, but I think both the Susvara and The TC scale so well with the EE because neither headphone's strongest attribute its it's mids - and the mids on the EE are to die for. Especially with the KR tubes. The mids of each headphone become much richer, but with all the other positive attributes of the headphone.

For the Abyss it essentially turns it into an Abyss with LCD-4 mids.

The soundstage is like an airplane hangar too. Credit @littlej0e for that one, but it's true.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,975 of 3,213
I rearranged my rack a little and thinks this looks a bit better. New rack will have to wait, as my next purchase is probably an LCD-5.

Biggest changes:
- PS audio power plant to amp rack next to main rack (not pictured)
- Glass shelf on lower shelf to not have to stack Enleum 23r directly on M-Scaler (it gets hot, and looks better, I think).
- Opto DX and power supplies for Opto DX and Lumin under the rack for a little bit of a cleaner look.
- I wish Enleum was silver but at least it looks good and is tiny.
- Wish I could make power cables going to the powerplant a little neater.

Rearrange.jpg

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,976 of 3,213
Read this whole thread, before and after my wa33 se purchase. This has a lot of great info. Learning to avoid EML haha.
Just need to figure out some of my next moves. Not sure I wanna drop $$$$ on the KR tubes yet. I read here that the Psvane wr2a3 adds some warmth, but I'd like a little more slam too... Also not ruling out the Psvane 2A3s...
Still deciding on a rectifier tube as well.
I currently use a tt2 but have been on the fence about a HMS or just going Holo may.

Current headphones are susvara (need to warm them up a bit, maybe tube burn in will help), hd800S, hd650, hd580 and VC. Verite may be sold tho. Just don't reach for them since getting the wa33. The sus and senns get more head time.

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #1,977 of 3,213
Read this whole thread, before and after my wa33 se purchase. This has a lot of great info. Learning to avoid EML haha.
Just need to figure out some of my next moves. Not sure I wanna drop $$$$ on the KR tubes yet. I read here that the Psvane wr2a3 adds some warmth, but I'd like a little more slam too... Also not ruling out the Psvane 2A3s...
Still deciding on a rectifier tube as well.
I currently use a tt2 but have been on the fence about a HMS or just going Holo may.

Current headphones are susvara (need to warm them up a bit, maybe tube burn in will help), hd800S, hd650, hd580 and VC. Verite may be sold tho. Just don't reach for them since getting the wa33. The sus and senns get more head time.

I haven't tried the Psvane wr2a3 - but have both the KR tubes and the ACME 2a3. This is a vast oversimplification but the PSvane ACME tubes are brighter (very solid state like sound, with benefits of tube specialization) and the KR tubes are warmer in my opinion. That's why I use the KR for Abyss and Susvara and the ACME for the LCD4. I've heard that the wr2a3 adds some bloom, similarly to the KR tubes, but have never directly compared.

If I could only have one setup, I'd keep the KR tubes because I think they are more refined and pair well with more headphones. That said the ACME tubes can sound fantastic with the right headphones/system.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #1,978 of 3,213
I wish Woo made it easy to test the SE vs EE... Gonna be sick dropping $17k blind on the EE. The pandemic makes auditioning so hard 😬

I upgraded to the EE, and every time I listen it confirms for me that I made the right decision, that said the SE is excellent as well. I feel like the SE is an outstanding tube amplifier, and the EE is the ultimate expression of Woo's sound and craft. It's a piece of art, sonically.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #1,979 of 3,213
I haven't tried the Psvane wr2a3 - but have both the KR tubes and the ACME 2a3. This is a vast oversimplification but the PSvane ACME tubes are brighter (very solid state like sound, with benefits of tube specialization) and the KR tubes are warmer in my opinion. That's why I use the KR for Abyss and Susvara and the ACME for the LCD4. I've heard that the wr2a3 adds some bloom, similarly to the KR tubes, but have never directly compared.

If I could only have one setup, I'd keep the KR tubes because I think they are more refined and pair well with more headphones. That said the ACME tubes can sound fantastic with the right headphones/system.
Awesome. Good info and I appreciate your time!

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #1,980 of 3,213
Ouch, price increase for 1.1.2022 confirmed.
Feelsbadman, guess it will never be mine...

Source: WooAudio website

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back