Woo's New Flagship WA33
Mar 5, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #436 of 3,189
Yeah, but at least you know you’re done buying headphone amps for a long..long time.
I wonder if it’ll keep me warm living under my bridge...

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #437 of 3,189
I wonder if it’ll keep me warm living under my bridge...
Well it’s a good thing tubes give off so much heat. Speaking of, did you go completely bonkers and get upgraded tubes as well?

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #438 of 3,189
Well it’s a good thing tubes give off so much heat. Speaking of, did you go completely bonkers and get upgraded tubes as well?
No, I didn’t purchase any tubes “yet”.....

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #439 of 3,189
No, I didn’t purchase any tubes “yet”.....
Same here. All I have is some NOS rectifiers leftover from my WA22, and for some reason neither of my WE422a tubes sound too great in the 33. Like do I NEED the Takatsuki 274b? I’m honestly gonna have to have a phone conversation with somebody over at Woo about their upgrade tubes. I need some that give me rich organic texture like a tube amp should, not hyper transparency like SS.

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #440 of 3,189
Same here. All I have is some NOS rectifiers leftover from my WA22, and for some reason neither of my WE422a tubes sound too great in the 33. Like do I NEED the Takatsuki 274b? I’m honestly gonna have to have a phone conversation with somebody over at Woo about their upgrade tubes. I need some that give me rich organic texture like a tube amp should, not hyper transparency like SS.
You have the elite or standard? I been fighting the elite cost difference I could buy a abyss phi tc with the difference

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #441 of 3,189
You have the elite or standard? I been fighting the elite cost difference I could buy a abyss phi tc with the difference
Standard. I was fighting the same thing, but I bought a Hugo TT2 and Wireworld Silver Electra 7 power cord with the price difference. Phi TC is in my sights now too but I gotta hear it first at CanJam or something. Headphones these days are getting leaner and leaner sounding as you move up and I’m not into that.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #444 of 3,189
Anyone tried both WA5 LE and WA33? Is it worth upgrading to the WA33?
I haven’t heard a wa33 yet, but my elite is about 3 weeks out

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #445 of 3,189
Do any of you guys use upgraded power cables with the WA33 and notice any difference in the sound? I’ve been using a standard universal plug you’d find in use on any regular receiver or amplifier, but I know the Woo Audio guys always use a nice fat upgraded power cable with the WA33 at shows and swear it’s pretty much “mandatory” to get peak performance. Can anyone attest to any improvements with better power cables? I live in a very new building with very clean power as far as I know so conditioning isn’t really an issue, I’m just wondering if the larger gauge upgrade cables with better conductive materials make a difference if they do in fact deliver more power or current.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #446 of 3,189
My WA33 is up for sale.

I've really enjoyed owning it over the past half-year or so, but my favored headphones -- the Susvara and RAAL SR1a -- love speaker amps. That, and I've come to prefer solid-state over tubes in general (though this is probably not the right thread to open up that line of discussion :) ). So the WA33 needs a new home...

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #447 of 3,189
Do any of you guys use upgraded power cables with the WA33 and notice any difference in the sound? I’ve been using a standard universal plug you’d find in use on any regular receiver or amplifier, but I know the Woo Audio guys always use a nice fat upgraded power cable with the WA33 at shows and swear it’s pretty much “mandatory” to get peak performance. Can anyone attest to any improvements with better power cables? I live in a very new building with very clean power as far as I know so conditioning isn’t really an issue, I’m just wondering if the larger gauge upgrade cables with better conductive materials make a difference if they do in fact deliver more power or current.

I just grabbed an audioquest and use one on my WA33 and my 3ES. Really can't say that i have heard any difference between a standard power cable and an upgrade...at least with these two amps.

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #448 of 3,189
I just grabbed an audioquest and use one on my WA33 and my 3ES. Really can't say that i have heard any difference between a standard power cable and an upgrade...at least with these two amps.

Hmmmm. I grabbed a pretty beefy 2m Wireworld Silver Electra 7 so I think I’m gonna safely power the 33 off and on vs the standard cheap cable and do some critical listening. I feel like my chain is extremely revealing so hopefully I’ll hear at least a blacker background or cleaner imaging as they say.

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #449 of 3,189
I've really enjoyed owning it over the past half-year or so, but my favored headphones -- the Susvara and RAAL SR1a -- love speaker amps. That, and I've come to prefer solid-state over tubes in general (though this is probably not the right thread to open up that line of discussion :) ). So the WA33 needs a new home...

Since you live near In Living Stereo, maybe you should ask to try the Abyss Diana Phi / Phi TC on WA33. I have Diana Phi and WA33, and Diana Phi sounds so much better than Susvara (to my ears) that it's not even close :xf_eek:

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #450 of 3,189
Since you live near In Living Stereo, maybe you should ask to try the Abyss Diana Phi / Phi TC on WA33. I have Diana Phi and WA33, and Diana Phi sounds so much better than Susvara (to my ears) that it's not even close :xf_eek:

When you got your Diana Phi did you compare it to the 1266 Phi-CC? If so, what were your thoughts? I have the 1266 Phi-CC and was thinking about getting the Diana Phi. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back