Woo's New Flagship WA33
Jan 2, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #406 of 3,212
Any impressions of the KR 2A3s vs the stock 2A3s?
The KR 2A3s are a substantial improvement in every way. I could not imagine going back to stock tubes after hearing them - highly recommended if you have the inclination. It is one important step in transforming the WA33 from great to spectacular.

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #407 of 3,212
The KR 2A3s are a substantial improvement in every way. I could not imagine going back to stock tubes after hearing them - highly recommended if you have the inclination. It is one important step in transforming the WA33 from great to spectacular.
I figured that, but can you give frequency range quality/quantity details and/or soundstage and imaging? Are they higher gain than stock? Weightier or more airy? I’m ok with eventually throwing down for their cost but I’m a tonality junky so if they’re thinner sounding than stock I’ll look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #408 of 3,212
I've not had mine long enough with a sufficient quantity of use to be able to address the tonality of the KR's versus the stock 2A3's. I can say that when using the WA33 with LCD4's/4z's/Utopia and Auteurs that the word "thinner" to my ears does not come to mind. I have a pair of Phi CC's coming in so maybe they will provide some more definition to what I am hearing.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #409 of 3,212
I figured that, but can you give frequency range quality/quantity details and/or soundstage and imaging? Are they higher gain than stock? Weightier or more airy? I’m ok with eventually throwing down for their cost but I’m a tonality junky so if they’re thinner sounding than stock I’ll look elsewhere.
Definitely not thin at all in my experience. I recall a noticeable extension to bass and treble range coupled with more resolution. They open up the soundstage with the improved resolution but not from other changes - its the same amp and headphones after all. Some of my best tracks though sound ridiculously out of head and I've had many experiences of something on the track making me think someones in the room with me. Overall I kind of think of the stock tubes as a dimly lit room and the KRs as brilliantly lit given you the ability to hear deep into the recording. Rich, beautiful extended - both more weighty in the bass and airy on the top end. Of course ymmv but I can't think of any audiophile term that diminished with the KRs - just all better.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #410 of 3,212
Definitely not thin at all in my experience. I recall a noticeable extension to bass and treble range coupled with more resolution. They open up the soundstage with the improved resolution but not from other changes - its the same amp and headphones after all. Some of my best tracks though sound ridiculously out of head and I've had many experiences of something on the track making me think someones in the room with me. Overall I kind of think of the stock tubes as a dimly lit room and the KRs as brilliantly lit given you the ability to hear deep into the recording. Rich, beautiful extended - both more weighty in the bass and airy on the top end. Of course ymmv but I can't think of any audiophile term that diminished with the KRs - just all better.

Ok I’m sold. Thanks for spelling that out in detail. I’ve actually heard the KR 2A3s the first time I demoed the 33 and heard most of what you described as far as the out of head experience. I can’t recall their tonality though other than it sounded incredible. I’ve just never heard the 33 stock so I’m not sure what I’ll be missing when mine arrives next week. I guess I’ll start stashing some coins away for the KRs then :)

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #411 of 3,212
I would try this ampli. It's hard to find it in Italy.

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #412 of 3,212
I've swapped the other tubes back to stock while I burn the Brimars in for maybe a total of 50 hours, and then I'll give them a real listen, probably Sunday evening.

I finally did a direct comparison of the Brimar 5Z4G which I got from Langrex against the incumbent, which is an EML 274B Mesh, with the WA33 connected to the Susvara.

The Brimar, when listened to in isolation, sounded alright, but compared directly against the EML 274B Mesh, was soundly beaten on all counts. Less dynamism, less clarity and separation, less bass extension.

I'm going to chalk it up as a relatively inexpensive experiment that leads me to a greater appreciation of what I already have.

Standard disclaimers apply.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #414 of 3,212
Thanks for your impressions.
I think I'm going to purchase the EML 5U4G Mesh to hear for myself.
Have you ever tried the UE-596?

No, but I do kind of want to... It kills me to spend so much on "consumables" but inevitably at a certain point, curiosity will win out over prudence and I'll probably get one. And/or maybe a Tak.

:cold_sweat:

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #415 of 3,212
If you guys are interested in the 596 (great rectifier by the way!) contact WOTTS here at the forum. I know he has a few NOS pairs and is thinking in selling some.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 12, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #416 of 3,212
819CE569-4AB2-438A-A52C-262B32D55F2D.jpeg

Unboxed this expensive bedside lamp yesterday. Letting it burn in 80hrs or so with my old Sophia rectifier just cuz it’s pretty. I’ll throw the WE422a in after that. When my wallet cools off for a few months, upgrade path will consist of:

-Hugo TT2 (Black)
-Dana Lazuli Reference balanced HP cable
-KR Audio 2A3s
-Hugo M-Scaler(Black)

In that order. Then, like Thanos, I finally rest and watch the sunrise on a grateful system. (Until new stuff comes out)

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #417 of 3,212

Unboxed this expensive bedside lamp yesterday. Letting it burn in 80hrs or so with my old Sophia rectifier just cuz it’s pretty. I’ll throw the WE422a in after that. When my wallet cools off for a few months, upgrade path will consist of:

-Hugo TT2 (Black)
-Dana Lazuli Reference balanced HP cable
-KR Audio 2A3s
-Hugo M-Scaler(Black)

In that order. Then, like Thanos, I finally rest and watch the sunrise on a grateful system. (Until new stuff comes out)
I never thought of it as a lamp. Is it bright enough to read by?

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #418 of 3,212
I never thought of it as a lamp. Is it bright enough to read by?
If the room was dark enough and I found a set of 2A3s with fancy glowing filaments in the mesh plates like the Sophia(EML?), yeah probably.

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #419 of 3,212
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #420 of 3,212
Quick question-- Does the 6.3mm output offer just half the power of the balanced outputs, or the same amount? (I don't have a XLR-to-6.3mm adapter to be able to verify this for myself at the moment.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back