Woo's New Flagship WA33
Dec 18, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #393 of 3,212
Wouldn't that depend on how the DAC actually handles inputs at lower sample rates? One of the main selling points of the Yggdrasil is the so-called "mega combo burrito filter", which you'd be effectively bypassing by using a scaler upstream.

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #394 of 3,212
Thanks for the input. I am sure the Chord would assist the yggy to a degree...just wondering if the degree is worth the $5k. Exactly my concern...would upscaling the signal to the Yggy somehow change how it handles it and moves it to the amp?

Dec 18, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #395 of 3,212
Thanks for the input. I am sure the Chord would assist the yggy to a degree...just wondering if the degree is worth the $5k. Exactly my concern...would upscaling the signal to the Yggy somehow change how it handles it and moves it to the amp?

How about trying the HQplayer & use its filter to get a taste of upsampling.
I think the Yggydrasil max upsampling is 192hz, so you can try one of the 192hh upsample filters with the HQplayer.

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

Dec 21, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #397 of 3,212
After posting about some vibration noise issues and concluding it was the bottom chassis plate of the amp, I was very wrong.
My issue was/is with my UE USAF-596 rectifier tube. I've replaced my 595 with my Brimar 5Z4GY and there is no noise at all coming from the WA33 which I've been listening to for the past 4+hrs. So having said "I can live with it knowing what the issue is" I only have to live with the noise when using my 596, otherwise, dead silent now.
Apologies if I've misled anyone.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #398 of 3,212
After posting about some vibration noise issues and concluding it was the bottom chassis plate of the amp, I was very wrong.
My issue was/is with my UE USAF-596 rectifier tube. I've replaced my 595 with my Brimar 5Z4GY and there is no noise at all coming from the WA33 which I've been listening to for the past 4+hrs. So having said "I can live with it knowing what the issue is" I only have to live with the noise when using my 596, otherwise, dead silent now.

Glad you found a solution. Would be curious if the 596 would show the same problem if reinserted. Perhaps something was loose or it or the adapter just wasn’t seated perfectly.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #399 of 3,212

I am happy to know your amp is working well without issues. FWIW, some tubes would cause mechanical vibration that disperses to the amp. The amp usually comes with a set of low-noise, quality tubes so you can always come back to them if you need troubleshooting.

Jack

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #402 of 3,212
How do you like the Brimar? I'm in the middle of burning one in and haven't yet given it a serious listen yet...
I like the Brimar very much, especially for it's price performance ratio. I find it has excellent bass with the WA33/HE1000V2 as well. This is the first time I've put it in the WA33 and it pairs very nicely so far. I've used the Brimar in my WA6 for years as well.

Do you have any initial impressions so far?

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #403 of 3,212
I'm also waiting on some inexpensive rectifier tubes that I've purchased from Watford Valves to arrive.

BNIB-NOS;
5U4G/5U3C-SVETLANA WINGED C (I liked their EL34 in my BHSE)

5U4GB-SYLVANIA BLACK PLATE
5U4GB-AMPEREX
5U4GB-RCA

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #404 of 3,212
Oh cool. I don't yet, except that bass seemed nice.

I've swapped the other tubes back to stock while I burn the Brimars in for maybe a total of 50 hours, and then I'll give them a real listen, probably Sunday evening.

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #405 of 3,212
Any impressions of the KR 2A3s vs the stock 2A3s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back