Woo's New Flagship WA33
Dec 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #363 of 3,212
Listening preferences... Now that I have options .. Dave or WA33... I find myself gravitating towards the amp of course... and I like the planar pairing with the WA33 more than I do with the Utopia's even though they also sound great.

One thing ... the WA33 is a power hungry beast... 230+ watts so when I want to listen to classical music I find the Dave/blu2 combo to be more than sufficient... enough though it also sounds great on the WA33 everything sounds great on that amp; however I tend to sometimes have all night listening sessions... (oh come on you all do it now and again) so saving some money on power consumption is not a bad thing....

I upgraded my planar headphone cables yesterday to 7N silver on the hifiman and I get even more detail... I'm doing my best now to stop spending... putting the brakes on as much as possible.. my irritating local dealer is always trying to tempt me with new items...

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #366 of 3,212
however I tend to sometimes have all night listening sessions... (oh come on you all do it now and again) so saving some money on power consumption is not a bad thing....

Wow, you have close to $30,000 in equipment & you are worrying if it's worth it over an extra $5 per month in electricity bills?

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #368 of 3,212
Wow, you have close to $30,000 in equipment & you are worrying if it's worth it over an extra $5 per month in electricity bills?

More like 100K and its not 5 dollars... try hundreds... and I may add that as I'm typing this I have the WA33 off and listening to the DAVE/blu2 combo only the wa33 will be coming on soon though...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #369 of 3,212
To clarify the confusions around electronics vibration. It is not possible to make a tube amplifier absolutely dead silent when it is powered on. ALL electronics have some vibration sounds when electricity is passing through it.

It is normal to hear some low-level noise when no music is playing and you're using a high-efficiency headphone such as the Focal Utopia, HD800, Sony Z1r on a high power, high gain amplifier. For these headphones, we recommend using the LO level setting for the best sound.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #370 of 3,212
To clarify the confusions around electronics vibration. It is not possible to make a tube amplifier absolutely dead silent when it is powered on. ALL electronics have some vibration sounds when electricity is passing through it.

It is normal to hear some low-level noise when no music is playing and you're using a high-efficiency headphone such as the Focal Utopia, HD800, Sony Z1r on a high power, high gain amplifier. For these headphones, we recommend using the LO level setting for the best sound.

Hmm depends Mike the Stellairs was dead silent... don't think it has as much power... the Viva 235 was also silent.... Stellairs at a friends house... viva at a store so maybe that made a difference... either way we like the product... there are some little things here and there where improvements could be made ... perhaps on the second rendition.....

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #372 of 3,212
Dec 11, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #375 of 3,212
The more I continue on with the WA33 the more I tend to like the planars on them. The hifi1000's sound really amazing on them... at times I prefer it over the Utopia's... I like the Utopia's on the DAVE direct.... they tend to have higher detail on the solid state. Local dealer is bringing in the phi 1266 so will be hearing those soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back