Woo's New Flagship WA33
Dec 6, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #331 of 3,212
I bought the pucks today and installed them on top of the board. Again a small improvement but this Mu metal sounds very promising.... as what's causing the noise in the WA33 is the transformer(s) inside the power supply. This noise travels up to the tubes... if the tubes are high quality they can absorb some of the noise but not all of it...

So the boards and combined with the pucks (I bought 4) just an ok improvement..... the Mu thing will be my next move... I just want to make sure that the magnetic shielding isn't going to have adverse affects on the transformers long term... I'll call these guys up tomorrow..

Unfortunately 2 of my 2a3's went blue today no idea way but they did... so my first thing tomorrow is to replace those... right now my WA33 sounds really pingy with these faulty tubes... I"ve aske Woo to replace them.... about 2 weeks old...

Mu metal only blocks natural magnetism. The kind of RFI you would get in an amp like the WA33 would be *electro*magnetism, which can be blocked by any metal but copper is often considered the best. I only mention this because real Mu metal is very, very expensive; but copper is not. Cheers.

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #332 of 3,212
I forgot the name of the material they use in the board... they told me today but I forgot the name... it does reduce noise...

Vibranium, couldn't resist

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #333 of 3,212
Mu metal only blocks natural magnetism. The kind of RFI you would get in an amp like the WA33 would be *electro*magnetism, which can be blocked by any metal but copper is often considered the best. I only mention this because real Mu metal is very, very expensive; but copper is not. Cheers.

No... it also blocks electro magnentism... go to there site... its used extensively...

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #335 of 3,212
No... it also blocks electro magnentism... go to there site... its used extensively...

Sorry. What I meant but did not express well is that natural magnetism can only be blocked by a Mu metal alloy that has been annelead after shaping. Electromagnetism can be blocked by any metal and, in all cases, the thickness of the plate/board does add to the damping effect on the magnetic field. So you could block electromagnetic interference with something as inexpensive as copper or even, honestly, a few layers of aluminum foil. You’re basically building a partial Faraday cage. Plus, the copper / foil costs a whole lot less than Mu metal all other things being equal. That’s all. :) It helps if you use a (real) RFI meter to measure the EM field, too.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #336 of 3,212
Sorry. What I meant but did not express well is that natural magnetism can only be blocked by a Mu metal alloy that has been annelead after shaping. Electromagnetism can be blocked by any metal and, in all cases, the thickness of the plate/board does add to the damping effect on the magnetic field. So you could block electromagnetic interference with something as inexpensive as copper or even, honestly, a few layers of aluminum foil. You’re basically building a partial Faraday cage. Plus, the copper / foil costs a whole lot less than Mu metal all other things being equal. That’s all. :) It helps if you use a (real) RFI meter to measure the EM field, too.

Yeah but Mu metal sounds a lot cooler and I don't know of anyone selling annealed copper...

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #337 of 3,212
Yeah but Mu metal sounds a lot cooler and I don't know of anyone selling annealed copper...
Only Mu metal needs to be annealed (heated then cooled without being shaped again) in this context because it has a dense molecular structure that gets “disturbed” by any and all metal work. No other metals that I know of need to be annealed after shaping to block electromagnetism.

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #338 of 3,212
Only Mu metal needs to be annealed (heated then cooled without being shaped again) in this context because it has a dense molecular structure that gets “disturbed” by any and all metal work. No other metals that I know of need to be annealed after shaping to block electromagnetism.

Hmm.. so your saying the aluminum foil I have in the house will do the trick placed properly?

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #339 of 3,212
Hmm.. so your saying the aluminum foil I have in the house will do the trick placed properly?
It should / could, but you might need to use more than a few layers of it and possibly solder a ground wire to it and connect that to a “drain” ground post of some kind (or not). Please remember that aluminum as all metals conducts electricity. Plus, if the Mu metal is already cut to size with installation instructions and is not too terribly expensive, it might not be worth messing around with the aluminum foil because it’s not that great a shield compared to copper and (yikes!) silver and, yep, Mu metal.

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #344 of 3,212
I bought the pucks today and installed them on top of the board. Again a small improvement but this Mu metal sounds very promising.... as what's causing the noise in the WA33 is the transformer(s) inside the power supply. This noise travels up to the tubes... if the tubes are high quality they can absorb some of the noise but not all of it...

So the boards and combined with the pucks (I bought 4) just an ok improvement..... the Mu thing will be my next move... I just want to make sure that the magnetic shielding isn't going to have adverse affects on the transformers long term... I'll call these guys up tomorrow..
I received my ISO Pucks this evening as well, and fortunately, they're going back because I found the issue with my WA33. It's not the transformers or a ground loop, or any of my tubes or upstream gear...it's the bottom cover of the amplifier unit (not the PSU unit) vibrating and causing my WA33 to audibly hum/buzz, traveling through my tubes into my dynamic drivers. I've never had an issue with driver noise using my planars. I applied even upward pressure along the bottom cover of the amplifier, and sure enough the amp is dead silent, and I only had a very faint noise through my dynamic drivers, which is normal for effiicient dynamic headphone drivers with the WA33.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back