Woo's New Flagship WA33
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #226 of 3,212
I have tried both stock and Mesh plates from EML, always preferred the sound of the Mesh plates. I have a Mesh Globe 45 which is in my top 5 tubes of all time. Good thing about EML is that they have a 5 year warranty. I don't believe any other Tube Manufacturer offers such a long warranty period.

How do you like the WA33 vs your estat setup? Do you switch between for genres or lean towards one typically?

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #227 of 3,212
I have tried both stock and Mesh plates from EML, always preferred the sound of the Mesh plates. I have a Mesh Globe 45 which is in my top 5 tubes of all time. Good thing about EML is that they have a 5 year warranty. I don't believe any other Tube Manufacturer offers such a long warranty period.
The 5yr warranty is exactly why I went with EML. I have to say that I was very impressed with the WA33 in stock configuration, but the tubes were terribly loud, otherwise I'd been fine with their sound and would not have upgraded for a while.

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #228 of 3,212
I'm considering getting a WA33 and am interested in suggestions/opinions on how I should go about "feeding" it, given that I'll be relying on one DAC to output to two different amps -- a GS-X mk2 and the WA33.

The GS-X mk2 really wants to be fed via XLR because it is fully balanced. My understanding is that the WA33 is optimally fed using XLR as well. However, the DAC (Metrum Pavane) of course only has one XLR output.

I see three possible options (and if there are other viable solutions, I'd love to hear them):

1. Use the XLR "loop" output on the GS-X to pass the XLR signal to the WA33.

2. Bite the bullet and just settle for feeding one of the two amps via RCA. I expect to be using the GS-X less than half the time, but more than just occasionally.

3. Find some sort of passive XLR A/B switch box contraption of passable quality (although a quick Google search reveals to me no such viable products).

My primary concern is, of course, getting both amps the most optimal signal possible. My guess is that option 1 will probably work well enough, even if it may not be 100% ideal.

Also I should note that the ability for both amps to output to headphones simultaneously won't be important factor to me.

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #229 of 3,212
Are you going to be listening to both amps at the same time?
If not, I had 2 XLR (Y) splitters made (Audioquest Mackenzie) which I use on the amp sides to receive the DAC signal to both my
GS-XMk2/BHSE via XLR being I only use 1 amp at a time. I was told by my DAC
manufacturer that HeadAmp which has used the same DAC at audio conventions does power both of these amps at the same time with no issues, but I've never tried doing so.

I should also be picking up my WA33 this Friday if all goes well. :)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #230 of 3,212
If not, I had 2 XLR (Y) splitters made (Audioquest Mackenzie) which I use on the amp sides to receive the DAC signal to both my
manufacturer that HeadAmp which has used the same DAC at audio conventions does power both of these amps at the same time with no issues, but I've never tried doing so.

It's really a shame that so many brick and mortar stores have closed.

I've only heard a Woo WES / SR-009 combination once under very uncontrolled conditions and it sounded terribly bright, but the WES / 009 combination has a reputation for being rich and warm.

The BHSE is supposed to sound tonally more neutral but I have read some comments describing it as "sterile"; and who really knows? When you can't go into a store and actually listen to what you might purchase, when you just have reviews all of which say everything is great, you really have no clue how you might like the sound of a particular combination.

I'm sure the WA33 sounds wonderful but comparing it to the BHSE is really comparing apples and oranges. You can't even use the same kinds of headphones. Comparing a 3ES to a BHSE would make more sense with the same source player and the same exact pair of headphones.

I don't mean to overact, I've just been reading about the WES, the 3ES, the WA33, and several other amps / headphones for a while now and, while I don't personally believe in double-blind A/B comparisons, you've got to be able to settle in and listen to something for a while and try different combinations from the back of the store rather than maxing out your credit cards to have fifteen unique combinations in your home that you get to audition for 14 day and then you have to decide, "Is X worth $10,000.00 or not?"

I mean, you still get to test drive cars, don't you?

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #231 of 3,212

If I do end up with the WA33, I guess I'll have to try the A/B switcher route too (this, maybe), and compare it to the special GS-X mk2 "loop out" output.

This weekend I'll be auditioning the WA33, plus the Egoista 845 (for a second time), probably in the same session.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #232 of 3,212
If I do end up with the WA33, I guess I'll have to try the A/B switcher route too (this, maybe), and compare it to the special GS-X mk2 "loop out" output.

This weekend I'll be auditioning the WA33, plus the Egoista 845 (for a second time), probably in the same session.

Although it would be single-ended, you'd be much better off, at least for testing, with a Manley Skipjack, which just came back into production, much better sound quality than a generic switcher, either XLR or RCA.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #233 of 3,212
It's really a shame that so many brick and mortar stores have closed.

I've only heard a Woo WES / SR-009 combination once under very uncontrolled conditions and it sounded terribly bright, but the WES / 009 combination has a reputation for being rich and warm.

The BHSE is supposed to sound tonally more neutral but I have read some comments describing it as "sterile"; and who really knows? When you can't go into a store and actually listen to what you might purchase, when you just have reviews all of which say everything is great, you really have no clue how you might like the sound of a particular combination.

I'm sure the WA33 sounds wonderful but comparing it to the BHSE is really comparing apples and oranges. You can't even use the same kinds of headphones. Comparing a 3ES to a BHSE would make more sense with the same source player and the same exact pair of headphones.

I don't mean to overact, I've just been reading about the WES, the 3ES, the WA33, and several other amps / headphones for a while now and, while I don't personally believe in double-blind A/B comparisons, you've got to be able to settle in and listen to something for a while and try different combinations from the back of the store rather than maxing out your credit cards to have fifteen unique combinations in your home that you get to audition for 14 day and then you have to decide, "Is X worth $10,000.00 or not?"

I mean, you still get to test drive cars, don't you?
My Stax journey was a KGSSHV/KGST while I waited for my BHSE to arrive. So yes, it was a journey being I had to buy and try everything blindly.

The only reason I didn't want to use the loop out of the GSX is because I didn't want to have it powered on via XLR loop out. Only the RCA loop outputs are powered by default when the amp is off.

Enjoy you're demo's and please give your impressions.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #234 of 3,212
Although it would be single-ended, you'd be much better off, at least for testing, with a Manley Skipjack, which just came back into production, much better sound quality than a generic switcher, either XLR or RCA.

Thanks, that does look interesting for SE. I'm actually currently using a Schiit Sys to switch between two unbalanced amps, which works well enough, but that Skipjack looks next-level.

The only reason I didn't want to use the loop out of the GSX is because I didn't want to have it powered on via XLR loop out. Only the RCA loop outputs are powered by default when the amp is off.

Enjoy you're demo's and please give your impressions.

Oh right it needs to be powered on, huh.

Thanks and will do.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #235 of 3,212
WA33 owners would you characterize your unit as sounding dark? I like a prominent low end. I guess it stems from my DJ days, early adopting to Surround Sound LFE and also driving around in the 90's with a subwoofer in the trunk.

I have a WA8 and I am hoping they have same sound signature which some have described as dark.

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #236 of 3,212
I'm looking for a tube amp with enough grunt to do justice to the Abyss Phi (and possibly the Susvara in the future). It's a short list of candidates that fit that description. With that in mind, I brought my Abyss Phis to the local shop this morning and gave the WA33 and Egoista 845 a nice listen-to (my 2nd time with the latter).

I really took to the Woo and found it immediately very engaging. Soundstage, imaging, dynamics, resolving-ness, instrument separation -- all really satisfying, and easily a couple steps up from the tube amps I've had up to this point. To my ears it had an even, slightly warmer tilt to its tonality (w/ the stock tubes) that suites my preferences. Also, I found it to have a treble sweetness that was appealing that I could tell would grow on me. In the end, I didn't need to listen to the amp for long.

The merits of the Egoista's technicalities were super-obvious, but I think the sound signature is something I'm still struggling to wrap my head around. It had a tube midrange sweetness/bloom which -- combined with its analytical-like speed and maybe more distant presentation? -- wasn't really clicking for me. Soundstage is really big and very interesting, but didn't sound "natural" -- or maybe it was just that it sounded unfamiliar. I could see it growing on me with a longer-term listen, but at the 845's price point, that may not be so likely.

Two more things about the Viva amp though. The instrument realism is crazy-good. Jazz percussion is just like... damn. The other thing is that I felt like it took turning up the volume to 75+ dBA for the amp to come into its own, but since I usually listen at the 65-75 range, I'm slightly afraid all that gorgeous glass, heat, and automotive paint might end up being wasted on me.

Anyway, I ended up having less to say about the Woo amp, but I could tell from my audition of it that I'd find it very satisfying to own.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #238 of 3,212
Do I see a WA33 in your future, @llamaluv? :p Did they have both the Elite and standard?
Hehe, could be! I'm trying to take a more measured approach than usual. They just had the standard, which was shipped for the occasion. I should probably give it a second drive-by audition while the shop still has it!

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #239 of 3,212
WA33 owners would you characterize your unit as sounding dark? I like a prominent low end. I guess it stems from my DJ days, early adopting to Surround Sound LFE and also driving around in the 90's with a subwoofer in the trunk.

I have a WA8 and I am hoping they have same sound signature which some have described as dark.

The WA33 character can be changed depending on the tubes you use. So if you want a darker sound you can get the appropriate tubes to get that.
Check out my WA33 review in my sig and see if that answers your questions. If not let me know, happy to help you out.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #240 of 3,212
I'm looking for a tube amp with enough grunt to do justice to the Abyss Phi (and possibly the Susvara in the future). It's a short list of candidates that fit that description. With that in mind, I brought my Abyss Phis to the local shop this morning and gave the WA33 and Egoista 845 a nice listen-to (my 2nd time with the latter).

I've never heard the WA33. I'm sure that it's a remarkable amp. I did use a WA5-LE with the Abyss Phi 's and that worked very well. Really, though, I decided I just did not like the Phi's. Disregarding their weight and appearance, they just don't sound "right" to me. I'm still very fond of the Fostex TH-900's, which are easy to drive and sound closer to the Stax SR-009's than any other headphone I have heard. Even though some people regard the Focal Utopias as a bargain at 3,999USD, I've never heard a pair of headphones that cost more than about 1,200USD--apart from the Stax SR-009's--that seemed worth the price to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back