Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Dec 19, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #272 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Led Zeppelin - No Quarter" (remastered version from newly released "The Soundtrack To The Song Remains The Same"), these cans are simply perfect for music like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, (early) Journey and others.

sounds great so far! can you try them with some gentle giant, king crimson, yes, and genesis and see how they deal with those (and in comparision to the denon 2000s and at es7s)?

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #273 of 1,087
DD, they sound excellent with King Crimson
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #274 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DD, they sound excellent with King Crimson
smily_headphones1.gif

Anything sounds good with KC as long as it causes paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain.

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #275 of 1,087
Alright, it is true, I have no self-control...but I do need a can for using with my portable (seeing how thats the only way I use any of my cans).

Yes I bought ESW9, hopefully AC gets it to me before my birthday xD.

That being said, anyone considering recabling these? Although knowing other ATs, that will probably have mild effects, if any.

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #277 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, it is true, I have no self-control...but I do need a can for using with my portable (seeing how thats the only way I use any of my cans).

Yes I bought ESW9, hopefully AC gets it to me before my birthday xD.

That being said, anyone considering recabling these? Although knowing other ATs, that will probably have mild effects, if any.

You're in good company ^^ And I had the exact same need (nevermind that I just bought the ES7 two weeks before ESW9 were released). Something I'm glad to say is that leakage seems to be at a minimum, At several occasions I've asked friends if they could hear any of my music (at a pretty high volume), and the answer has always been no, not a single tone.

Also I've been running my cans warm with Ozric Tentacles the last few days and it sounds simply amazing o/ I think the bass has tightened up a bit already, even though it was always pretty tight.

Currently blasting some Kingston Wall (think Jimi Hendrix + Led Zeppelin + (early) Pink Floyd, throw some dub reggae into the mix and you pretty much got their sound). Which also sounds wonderful of course, really liking the sound of these cans so far ^_^

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #278 of 1,087
sorry if this question has already been answered. Can someone compare the ES7 with the ESW9 from a sound, isolation and comfort perspective.

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #279 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry if this question has already been answered. Can someone compare the ES7 with the ESW9 from a sound, isolation and comfort perspective.

I was not able to hear any difference in sound leakage. Isolation seems similar, but I have only tested the ES7 indoors.

For my head, the ES7 are actually more comfortable. The ESW9 are juuust a bit big for my ears, so they not quite supra- not quite circum-aural.

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #280 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The sound of the ESW9 is way superiour to the ES7 imho. Way more refined, bigger soundscape and in general a lot better sounding. It was definitely worth the upgrade for me ^_^

I have a bit bigger head than average I guess, meaning the ESW9 fits me a lot better, a lot more comfortable for me. Also they look better on your head than the ES7 (which give you sort of a Mickey Mouse look due to the weird "headband").

Sound leakage is non-existing, I've been blasting my iPod Touch at quite high volume on the subway/train, and even if you're sitting next to me you can't hear a thing (I've asked, plenty of times).

Dec 22, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #282 of 1,087
Something that became quite obvious when I listened to "Journey - Mystery Mountain" (awesome progressive / psychedelic rock signed Journey - 1975), first with my D2000's, then followed by the ESW9's, is how much bigger soundscape of the D2000's is. The bass is definetely deeper and more powerful as well. With that being said however, the ESW9's is a major leap up from the ES7, and delivers the best sound I've ever heard in a portable can. Worth mentioning is that they probably don't have more than 25-27 hours of burn-in, they seem to be adjusting a bit every day. So take my words for what they are, a few comments regarding the cans in their current state ^_^

Dec 23, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #283 of 1,087
Given the AT phones I already(see sig) am I going to gain anything by getting a pair of ESW9's or is it just a matter of keeping the current woodie collection up to date.
I'm seriously tempted.

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #284 of 1,087
Skylab or anyone that have/had these headphones.... Between it and the RP-21, which of the two, has a bigger soundstage/Headstage? And which of the two has better bass and bass depht, and a better lower and medium midrange?
Thanks in advance for your sincere answers

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #285 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the AT phones I already(see sig) am I going to gain anything by getting a pair of ESW9's or is it just a matter of keeping the current woodie collection up to date.
I'm seriously tempted.

You know you want a pair. I did. Replaced my ATH-EW9. And I just sold off my W-100.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back