Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Dec 30, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #286 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by JML /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know you want a pair. I did. Replaced my ATH-EW9. And I just sold off my W-100.
biggrin.gif

You feel they're better than the full size W100?

Dec 30, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #287 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any extensive comparison with other popular cans like HD650 or with ATH's own L3000 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something that became quite obvious when I listened to "Journey - Mystery Mountain" (awesome progressive / psychedelic rock signed Journey - 1975), first with my D2000's, then followed by the ESW9's, is how much bigger soundscape of the D2000's is. The bass is definetely deeper and more powerful as well. With that being said however, the ESW9's is a major leap up from the ES7, and delivers the best sound I've ever heard in a portable can. Worth mentioning is that they probably don't have more than 25-27 hours of burn-in, they seem to be adjusting a bit every day. So take my words for what they are, a few comments regarding the cans in their current state ^_^

To those looking to hear that they are better than or close to the best full-size headphones, they're not. They are as good or better (depending somewhat on preferences) to many good full-sized cans. I prefer them to the D2000s, though agree that the headstage is larger and the bass more powerful (though looser) with the Denons. They are the best sounding semi-portable, closed headphone I've heard, and are very enjoyable. They are not HD650s or L3000s by a long shot, but they're the first headphone I've bought in really long time that I like more three weeks in than when I first got them.

btw, they really need an amp to shine. Even if they sound okay unamped, once you've found a good match (my two favs right now are the PRII and mini^3), you don't want to hear them without one.

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #289 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab or anyone that have/had these headphones.... Between it and the RP-21, which of the two, has a bigger soundstage/Headstage? And which of the two has better bass and bass depht, and a better lower and medium midrange?
Thanks in advance for your sincere answers

This is from memory, since I no longer have the RP21, but from memory, the RP21 has the better bass, but the ESW9 has the better midrange. I always thought the RP21's main weakness was some dryness in the mids, which the ESW9 sure don't have.

Headstage-wise, I really don't recall the RP21's imaging capabilities well enough to comment.

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #290 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You feel they're better than the full size W100?

Oh, no! Sorry for the confusion. They're better than the EW9 you own.

I was just trying to suggest I know a little about the AT cans.

They're not the equivalent of the full-size ATs I own or have owned, but these are incredible for portable headphones; more comfortable and with better bass than the EW9 (no issues with fit-dependent bass).

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #291 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, how much are you guys getting your ESW9's for? I got mine for $240 at where I live...

I guess shipping to mars is really cheap then...

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #292 of 1,087
I got mine from PriceJapan shipped to USA back in Oct maybe...for about 284$ US.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #293 of 1,087
Got mine for about $200, kinda useful to live in Japan when it comes to buying audio-technica gear ^^

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #295 of 1,087
Thank you for your answer!, is very useful. it didn't arrived to my email (i was waiting for).
Ok, i hope that the headstage in the RP-21 will be "out of the head" and airier and the same or bigger than the DT770.
I can't afford the ESW9 (is a lot more expensive (in his place, i bought a hard disk of 1 TB, that i needed...)) but it appear that is a nice and beautiful headphone (more a luxury, that an need...)
Thank you again and have a nice day and a happy new year.

P.S: from your memory, which of the two headphones (RP-21 and DT990 (yes it)) has the better and stronger bass?, and is deeper? (can be the DT990 but i don't known/or i am not sure) and has better mids?* (i known that the DT990 are airier (well i believe...)) excluding the issue of the dryness in the mids in the Rp-21 and the airiness in the DT990. *or is in his point? (which of the two is forwarder or recessed)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is from memory, since I no longer have the RP21, but from memory, the RP21 has the better bass, but the ESW9 has the better midrange. I always thought the RP21's main weakness was some dryness in the mids, which the ESW9 sure don't have.

Headstage-wise, I really don't recall the RP21's imaging capabilities well enough to comment.

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #296 of 1,087
I personally think the DT990 is far superior to the RP21 in every way.

Jan 4, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #297 of 1,087
Yes, i known that the (and my) DT990 is superior in soundstage (in all the areas as size (dept, width) and holographically (is more or is 3D (i don't known if the soundstage in the RP-21 is holographic or near))), imaging, headstage (i want to known specially if it is at least bigger than the DT770 that i want to replace), in treble extension, detail, but i want to known how much is the difference in that areas AND especially the bass and mids. Because the RP-21 has the reputation of having an very good bass (so much in quality as in strenght), for that i want to compare specially.
For you which of the two is faster? (and in what areas)
Well, i read in another threads that the bass in the rp-21 is stronger (in the mid and subbass) and in one that it is deeper too, but i want your impression (i am very persistent, sorry).
In other hand how is the headstage in the esw9? (is bigger or smaller than the RP-21)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally think the DT990 is far superior to the RP21 in every way.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #298 of 1,087
Based on the opinions expressed in this thread and a few others, I just ordered these cans from Bluetin. I hope they're as good as they seem, and a worthy starting point for head-fidelity. Hearing that Porcupine Tree and King Crimson sounds fantastic on them is promising, at least...

Anyway, they are bound to be better than my PortaPros. I have no experience with anything more high-end, besides a pair of Pioneer HDJ-1000 several years ago which had WAY too muddy bass, and lousy build quality. As such I hope to be pleasantly surprised
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, first post, by the way.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #299 of 1,087
My first post to after being here for over 6 months. I just ordered a pair too. I went to a local dealer and preveiwed the es-7s which sounded good on a quick listen. I am curious about the ESW-9s, guess i'll find out soon.
Also on Skylabs reviews on the portable amps i have gotten a hornet(sr-1 parts were unavailable at the time so unable to get that amp) and i got a Lisa 3. Both are wonderful. Never thanked Skylab for the input to those who don't write like me, thanks for your work over there it really helped me going thru that thread with your input.

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #300 of 1,087
greetings to the both of you and good luck on your recent purchases...and welcome to head-fi...sorry 'bout your wallet.

i should be ordering mine within a week so i'm looking forward to that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back