Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Dec 17, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #257 of 1,087
Man, I was just going to check pms but ended up buying a pair of headphones again. The ESW9 on order will be much anticipated for office and library use. They look great because of the small and wooden earcups, apparently sound not too bad and are foldable. What more could you ask for.

Thanks for the heads up on these.

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #259 of 1,087
Here's something interesting. These are spec'ed as 42 ohm cans. However after a dozen tries, the LD III+ keeps starting up in either 120 or 300 ohm mode. I have a tool that measures and graphs the impedance across the audio range (and everything else you can imagine) and will do so at a later time. But I'm sure these must have a bass impedance peaking very high, and very large rise in impedance through the treble range. The 42 ohm must be the minimum at only one point, measuring close to that over perhaps only an octave or two. Otherwise the impedance over much of the audio range is much higher.

edit: p.s. these are sounding great straight out of the iPod, no amp. Great resolving ability of the musical detail. Can imagine what it would be w/a great ss amp.

Dave, I'll look for a thread detailing what the plans are. re-edit. Lol. I see now I was sent an e-mail on the meet last month. I haven't been checking that account. Dang!

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #260 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saint.panda,
Are you going to add this on to your closed headphone review pdf? That would be nice

It wouldn't be a fair comparison after such a long time, so I'd rather not.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #261 of 1,087
And guess who just received a nice little DHL package?! ^____^
Wohoo, new cans! \o/

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #262 of 1,087
Yay! Do you like the sound? I saw a pair in a store today for around $300. They looked pretty nice and the earcups were smaller than I expected.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #263 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay! Do you like the sound? I saw a pair in a store today for around $300. They looked pretty nice and the earcups were smaller than I expected.

I actually didn't start testing them until 5-6 minutes ago!

I Started out by listening to "Journey - Of A Lifetime" (one hell of a reference song, 1975's psychedelic/progressive rock represent) using my Denon AH-D2000, and afterwards I switched to the extremely good looking audio-technica ATH-ESW9. I was surprised immedeately by the amazing separation of instruments, they did very well considering they're just out-of-the-box, with 0 burn-in. Actually quite good soundscape for such a can, very much so. Currently listening to "Pink Floyd - Set The Controls For The Hear Of The Sun", and as far as I can tell these cans LOVE this kind of music. Really impressed so far, and I'm looking forward to doing some more comparisons to both my D2000 and my ATH-ES7 (which I bought about 2 weeks prior to the release of the ESW9). I've got a feeling that this will be one of the best christmas presents I've given myself so far ^^

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #265 of 1,087
"Led Zeppelin - No Quarter" (remastered version from newly released "The Soundtrack To The Song Remains The Same"), these cans are simply perfect for music like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, (early) Journey and others.

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #266 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Led Zeppelin - No Quarter" (remastered version from newly released "The Soundtrack To The Song Remains The Same"), these cans are simply perfect for music like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, (early) Journey and others.

Gurr I enjoy plenty o Porcupine Tree. Someone run some Shpongle or Infected Mushroom through these for me ? If you guys keep this hype-train up I'll have a pair before new-years -_-

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #267 of 1,087
At your service, currently listening to "Infected Mushroom - Elation Station", gonna run through some other songs by IM as well as some tracks from "Tales Of The Inexpressible" by Shpongle, then probably some Ozric Tentacles as well to see how they handle the combination of psychedelic / electronica and guitar ^_^ So far the balance seems right on, tight punchy bass and (as always) excellent separation. I'll be back for some more impressions later today!

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #268 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At your service, currently listening to "Infected Mushroom - Elation Station", gonna run through some other songs by IM as well as some tracks from "Tales Of The Inexpressible" by Shpongle, then probably some Ozric Tentacles as well to see how they handle the combination of psychedelic / electronica and guitar ^_^ So far the balance seems right on, tight punchy bass and (as always) excellent separation. I'll be back for some more impressions later today!

Much appreciated, brotha.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #269 of 1,087
I think these cans like my LD II+ better then the LD III+ actually. Admittedly, very different sources however, so can't say definitively (one's @ work, other @ home). I can say for sure, while Pink Floyd's Animals is one of my favorite albums of all time, I find it rather 'dry' often with many sources or cans or speakers. It was completely musical however today to say the least, yet w/o any of the subtleties muddied over instead presented perfectly quick, tight, clear and revealed. Ya, these cans are making me deaf cranking the music all day while @ work!
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #270 of 1,087
At first I thought that the bass in various Infected Mushroom songs were a bit underwhelming, but as I kept listening, and threw some Shpongle and Ozric Tentacles (mainly from "The Floor's Too Far Away") into the mix they started growing on me immedeately. "Spacebase" from the latter album sounds downright awesome with these cans. The bass might not be as deep as with my D2000 (shocker, huh? ^^), but it's still a lot better than any can of this size that I've ever tried. Very tight and punchy as mentioned before. I think these cans in general benefit from music with a lot of detail, since the separation is so good. The bass, mids and highs all seem very well balanced, really looking forward to seeing how these sound after more burn-in. But it's defenitely a keeper I can tell you that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back