WooAudio 6 Review
Apr 23, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #16 of 33
I just got mines. Been listening to almost 2 hours now. All I'm going to say right now is WOW. This is my first amp, so I can't really compare it to anything. Will write more when I'm done listening.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by VisualArtist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone listened to a HF-1, 325i, or RS-1 with the WA6?

Yep. I've been listening to my 325i with my Woo6 for the past few weeks and I'm very happy with it, but I am a fan of the 325i. The Woo6 seems to take a bit of the edge off of them. Make no mistake, the amp does not suddenly make the 325i into something it is not. They are still in-your-face, detailed, and on the bright side, just a tiny bit more polite/warm (this compared with my Gilmore Lite).

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the WA6 club! Now get a nice Phillips metal base GZ34 and you will be in heaven
biggrin.gif

I know tubes are always a gamble, but assuming you get this tube in good to great condition, how many hours of listening can one expect? At this price, I would hope a few years?

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #20 of 33
A metal base GZ34 can last you a life time. I have a couple of very, very used ones that measure and perform as new. There is nothing I know of that is better in this type of rectifier.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #21 of 33
I heard the WA6 with upgraded tubes with the L3000 at the National meet yesterday, it sounded very nice. Since it has a output transformer with high and low impedance taps, it is pretty flexible. Another plus with the L3000 is it's high efficiency, so it could go plenty loud. I had a problem with getting enough volume with a K701 and a lower output source on the WA6.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the WA6 with upgraded tubes with the L3000 at the National meet yesterday, it sounded very nice. Since it has a output transformer with high and low impedance taps, it is pretty flexible. Another plus with the L3000 is it's high efficiency, so it could go plenty loud. I had a problem with getting enough volume with a K701 and a lower output source on the WA6.

So the source had less than the standard 2 volts? My Monica II has a lower than standard output and it can be a problem for a few amps. I have thought about increasing the output of the Monica but I don't care to mess with it right now and it sounds too good.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #23 of 33
Yes, the source with the low output was a ipod with the imod (lossless files of course). There was no issue with the source that Woo Audio was using at their table.

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #24 of 33
Did any of you fine people have the chance to listen to the Darkvoice 332 or 336, in comparison to the WA6? If so, what were your impressions?

The Woo's look a lot better in my opinion - but if the 332 sounds as good (or better), then the choice is clear, since the Darkvoice is quite inexpensive...

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #25 of 33
its nice to hear the Woo6 has a low impdance option, i thought that was a major weakness of the Woo3. has anyone had experience with the both the Woo6 and the Woo3? if so was there considerable difference in the actual sound character, or if the 6 just improves on the 3 sound then in what areas?

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #26 of 33
I think I heard the same amp over the weekend with my RS1 and My impressions are identical to those posted thus far... Smooth, warm character. A very musical sounding circuit. I think it revealed a surprising amount of detail for a tube amp in this price range. It had a nice sense of depth too. This coming from the RS1, a headphone not known for much image-depth. Its not for the "wire with gain" / accuracy crowd however. For them there are MUCH better options. (IMHO Justins amps are really good for that kind of sound)

What I found surprising is that it took my little D335 PCDP and made it sound bigger than it should have any business sounding. So, an entry level source can work well with it. FWIW, the D335 line-out is a fairly low level output and it had no troubles driving the RS1 to excessively loud levels.

One thing I was unable to evaluate however is its noise floor. The meet was just too noisy for me to detect any hum or poor S/N performance. FWIW, it seemed like a pretty low gain circuit.

definitely worth a look for its "fun-factor".

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #28 of 33
If someone is willing to send me their Woo6, I can compare it to the Doge 6210 (directly) and Darkvoice 337 (mainly from memory). Also tons of other amps that I've heard.

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #29 of 33
I just pulled the trigger on a WA6. ETA is May, 15th.
biggrin.gif

Jack Wu is going to modify it with a red LED instead of a blue one.... mmmh. (Read here about my gripe with blue LEDs.
wink.gif
)

Damn you Head-Fi! And thanks to all the great people in here, providing so many insightful posts.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pulled the trigger on a WA6. ETA is May, 15th.
biggrin.gif

Jack Wu is going to modify it with a red LED instead of a blue one.... mmmh. (Read here about my gripe with blue LEDs.
wink.gif
)

Damn you Head-Fi! And thanks to all the great people in here, providing so many insightful posts.

Actually, the blue LED that Jack uses is quite pleasant and not annoying in any way. OTOH, the Sonic Impact Blue LED was so obnoxious I had to put tape over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back