wooaudio 3 vs 6
May 15, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #46 of 77
I lost track of the ToneAudio comparison article in a computer crash. Can someone link me to it, please?

May 15, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #48 of 77
Does everyone who has the 6 have an added plate on the top with 4 screws on it that label the amp as WA6 and the tubes as per this pic?

And, is this the only cosmetic difference between the 6 and 3?

wa6_right.jpg

May 16, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #49 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does everyone who has the 6 have an added plate on the top with 4 screws on it that label the amp as WA6 and the tubes as per this pic? And, is this the only cosmetic difference between the 6 and 3?

As I understand it yes that's the only cosmetic difference along with extra jacks on the back and obviously different tubes. The 3 also comes in additional colors than the 6.

May 17, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blessingx, what 5U4G rectifier did you order specifically? My Woo 6 came with a Sovtek 5U4G right out of the box.

Mine also came with the Sovtek 5U4G recifier as stock power tube. I've only put about 100 hrs of mileage into the amp and I'm quite pleased by it. Has anyone tried a different different rectifier tube? I'm thinking of trying out other GZ34 and 5AR4s and would love to know other's impressions of them.

May 20, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #51 of 77
The 5ar4 & gz34 are pretty much the same.I'm using the amperex bugle boy and it has both numbers.The sound difference is amazing.Most people prefer the mullards tho.I also cryoed the 6de7's and that also made quite a difference.Hope this helps.

May 20, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #52 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine also came with the Sovtek 5U4G recifier as stock power tube. I've only put about 100 hrs of mileage into the amp and I'm quite pleased by it. Has anyone tried a different different rectifier tube? I'm thinking of trying out other GZ34 and 5AR4s and would love to know other's impressions of them.

jack recently told me all of the following rectifiers are compatible
with his WA-6:

5U4G
5U4GA
5U4WG
5AS4
5R4/FA/GB/GY/GYA/GYB
5AR4/GZ34
5R4/WGA/WGB
GZ32
U52
U54
CV575
CV1377
VT-244

metal base: best resolution and HF
big brown base: best bass
big black base: neutral

regular brown/black: similar neutral

be wary of auction dealers that seem vague and less than
forthcoming with details. there are so many fake mullards
that you may be paying $80+ for a chinese unit costing $12.
wiping off the letterings is easily done and some go far as
printing new letterings to imitate vintage units. i only buy
from dealers willing to guarantee their items with returns if
any issues arise with date codes or compatibility.

May 20, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #53 of 77
I'd be interested in specific sonic observations and suppliers of NOS and current production for both the 6DE7 and rectifier tubes.

May 20, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #54 of 77
Also beware of buying metal base GZ34's if you don't know what the measurements mean. I have seen some metal base going for a couple of hundred used that had measurements from a TV7 that were in the high forties. Any fairly accurate TV7 will give you a measurement of 58 to 62 for a new or like new GZ34/5AR4. Anything less and the tube is on its way out. Right now there is a tube already up to 180 and its measurements are not that good. Just because there is a box with the tube means nothing and it appears that people are not looking at the measurements of the tube but just at the fact that it is a metal base and with a box.

I will be receiving a 6 soon and look forward to trying two different metal base GZ34's, a Amperex and a Mullard, a Mullard GZ32, a Mazda GZ34 and an old Mullard large black base GZ34.

May 20, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #55 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also beware of buying metal base GZ34's if you don't know what the measurements mean. I have seen some metal base going for a couple of hundred used that had measurements from a TV7 that were in the high forties. Any fairly accurate TV7 will give you a measurement of 58 to 62 for a new or like new GZ34/5AR4. Anything less and the tube is on its way out. Right now there is a tube already up to 180 and its measurements are not that good. Just because there is a box with the tube means nothing and it appears that people are not looking at the measurements of the tube but just at the fact that it is a metal base and with a box.

I will be receiving a 6 soon and look forward to trying two different metal base GZ34's, a Amperex and a Mullard, a Mullard GZ32, a Mazda GZ34 and an old Mullard large black base GZ34.

thanks for the insight...it must be hard to have all those goodies and not
be able to run it thru an amp to taste all the different sound flavours...
i'd be interested in reading your observations when you finally do...
btw, i've read somewhere the GZ32 has a sweet tone and is comparable
to some of the best non-metal based rectifiers, including the big bases...

May 20, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #56 of 77
Yes that is true. I sent a 32 to a friend a long time ago and he loved it. He preferred it to everything else but his preamp had a draw of too much current and the GZ32 died an early death. In the 6 the current draw is fairly small and the cap that the rectifier has to feed is the right size, not too big, so many rectifiers will work and the 32 would have, will have, a very long life. I am looking very forward to trying this nice ST (coke bottle shape) rectifier in the Woo 6.

May 20, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #57 of 77
Quote:

Yes that is true. I sent a 32 to a friend a long time ago and he loved it. He preferred it to everything else but his preamp had a draw of too much current and the GZ32 died an early death. In the 6 the current draw is fairly small and the cap that the rectifier has to feed is the right size, not too big, so many rectifiers will work and the 32 would have, will have, a very long life. I am looking very forward to trying this nice ST (coke bottle shape) rectifier in the Woo 6.

i looked up some specs and it shows the gz34 has a max dc current output of 250mA as opposed to the gz32 with a max of 300mA...of course the heater current is 1.9A and 2.3A respectively...

btw, what is the max. current draw of the WA-6?

thanks.

May 22, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #58 of 77
Quote:

Hello again J,we've talked tubes before and know you are very knowledgeable and I peaked your interest on cryoset tubes.I think they made a big difference and with your ability to explain I'll bet you could stir interest in a major upgrade for little $ IMHO if you also had them done
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #59 of 77
I have read mostly positive reports on cryoed tubes over the years. I have never tried any but I agree it would be worth a try. I would also like to cryo some of my IC's and maybe a portable amp. Maybe a whole Woo amp!

May 22, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #60 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jack recently told me all of the following rectifiers are compatible
with his WA-6:

5U4G
5U4GA
5U4WG
5AS4
5R4/FA/GB/GY/GYA/GYB
5AR4/GZ34
5R4/WGA/WGB
GZ32
U52
U54
CV575
CV1377
VT-244

metal base: best resolution and HF
big brown base: best bass
big black base: neutral

regular brown/black: similar neutral

be wary of auction dealers that seem vague and less than
forthcoming with details. there are so many fake mullards
that you may be paying $80+ for a chinese unit costing $12.
wiping off the letterings is easily done and some go far as
printing new letterings to imitate vintage units. i only buy
from dealers willing to guarantee their items with returns if
any issues arise with date codes or compatibility.

I've had my WA6 for about a month now with my 2-3 year old 650s. I think they are still lacking in the bass I've heard before when I used my EMU 0404. When you say "big brown base" what makes the base big? I've seen several brown bases but could you specify a big more?

Also, I am currently doing a 30 day trade with Onur. I am jammin' to his 336i and the difference is crazy. I like the 336i more. It can get sooooo much more louder then the WA6 and not distort. I can have the volume maxed out on the WA6 and can barely stand the 336i past 12 o'clock. I've read in other threads that the 2 compared should not be fair.

Could different tubes for the WA6 do that much of a difference? This is my first tube amp and I have not been able to purchase any new tubes yet. My main concern now is the lack of bass. I love bass, what can I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back