wooaudio 3 vs 6
Apr 22, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #16 of 77
Sliver with black trim or black with silver trim.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #17 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the chance to compare the WA6 and WA3/WA3+ today... and the WA3 sounded a bit more compressed than the WA6. The 6 was just superb with HD650s and I found myself going back to this amp over and over at the meet today. It's a gorgeous unit and I highly recommend it. The WA3 is a nice unit too, especially for the price.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's because Jack was using my 57 Phillips Metal base in the WA6 yesterday! If your at the meet and want to listen to a really good tube, stop by Woo Audio's booth!

On topic, I use the WA6 for low and high impedance cans and love it! Email Jack at Woo Audio and he will help you out greatly!

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 77
Nothing better than the metal base. I have some Mullard GZ33's in ST bottle that I would love to give a listen to. I have a nice Philips 1956 and Mullard 1957 metal base that I would also like to try out some day. I also have a some old fat base Mullards, a nice nos Mazda, smooth plate Amperex and some others. GZ34's have gotten rather exspensive but worth it. I also have some very old RCA 6DE7's with side square getters. There is much to try out with this amp. I also have some old Sylvania all black plate (both sections) and other combos. Now I am waiting for the time when I can actually purchase a 6. :^)

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #19 of 77
I've just put in my order for a silver woo 6!
biggrin.gif

Now in search of some good tubes. Does anyone here have some extra tubes laying around who are willing to part with it???
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

The expected shipping date is may 8th. Now the waiting game begins. Thanks all for your help

DK

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #20 of 77
Mine got sent out today !

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #21 of 77
Slighly off-topic, but maybe someone could help me with my dilemma:

Did any of you fine people have the chance to listen to the Darkvoice 332 or 336, in comparison to the WA6 or WA3? If so, what were your impressions?

The Woo's look a lot better in my opinion - but if the 332 sounds as good (or better), then the choice is clear, since the Darkvoice is quite inexpensive - and a lot easier to get in Europe.

I'm very clearly tending towards a Woo amp, but it will be a customs/duty/tax nightmare, importing it to Austria. I'd be happy if it would be worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #22 of 77
I am also interested in this comparison, but also in the original topic, which is: what are the differences between the wooaudio 3 and 6 ? I would listen to them on a pair of HD650s. vo328 said: Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the chance to compare the WA6 and WA3/WA3+ today... and the WA3 sounded a bit more compressed than the WA6.(...)

which is a clear and objective difference in favour of the higher priced amp.

However how do they compare regarding the 'subjective' presentation, the sound color ? Is the Woo6 colder, brighter, more impersonal, analytical or less 'musical' than the Woo3 ? Or do they genereally have the same signature, only the Woo6 is better, more natural, more refined etc. ?

May 2, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #24 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the soundstage affected by a tube change on these amps? ive heard the woo3s had a flat soundstage

3D soundstage and layered clear imaging was the best attribute of the Woo3 when i had it, you wont be disaapointed by that. yes better tubes do affect the soundstage as well, the stock tubes are acceptably good but they are a limiting factor.

May 3, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #27 of 77
I assume you guys have seen the brief review over at ToneAudio [pdf] where they do a little comparing. Heard the WA5 at Voltrons yesterday. It was very very nice with every phone thrown at it, but especially the increase in overall SQ with the AKG K701 and Ultrasone 2500 (the HD650s were already great with other equipment earlier that night). Jack Woo told me "You may think of it [6] as a little brother of the 5. They are both SET, all triode drive, output transformer coupled." Now I'm veeerrry interested.
basshead.gif

BTW, what were the turn around times you guys were given? Any photos for those arrived?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back