wooaudio 3 vs 6
Apr 20, 2007 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

Agent Kang

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have decided to go with either the wooaudio 3 or the 6 as my first tube headphone amp. The problem is that I am unable to decide between the 2 versions. If anyone has experienced these 2 amps, I would love to know their impressions of them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Some users did describe the 3 as being on the warm and soft side in comparison to the 6. Is this true?

I was also looking at the mapletree and singlepower but mapletree seems to have mixed reviews while singlepower is not on the same level as the wooaudio cost wise.

Thank you all for your replies. Greatly appreciated

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 77
What headphones will you be using with the amp?

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 77
I'm sure others will tell you also - that the WA3 with the right tubes, sounds simply outstanding with Senns, although not so much with Grados. I can't comment re: the WA6, but WA3 is great, as well as a great value, so long as you intend to drive Senns. I'd probably tend towards the WA3+ without the pre-amp circuit, and the input caps.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 77
I don't have experience with the two but I am in your same shoes. From sending a few emails back and forth with Jack I think the 6 is the way to go. Seems to be a less picky amp with regards to the cans it is talking to. Sure your flavor of the month might be the senns which form most all accounts would be a fine companion to the WA3/+. But who knows, maybe you'll get a hankering to sample the Grado's and if/when you do you'll be thinking hrm... I wonder if the 6 would've handled it mo' bettah.

And isn't that what this whole hobby is about? Looking for something that is just a wee bit "mo' bettah."

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 77
If your thinking of one day buying the K701's again, definately go with the 6! The 6 has matching coupling transformers to drive more currrent which will be needed to properly drive the K701. I have the K701's and the Woo 6, and can tell you it has no problem driving them to loud levels with no audible clipping. The amp sounds great!

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I ask why you decided to part with the Woo 3?

Because I bought an HA5000 + W5000, which I later sold because I needed a new computer. Now I need a new amp
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 77
I got the chance to compare the WA6 and WA3/WA3+ today... and the WA3 sounded a bit more compressed than the WA6. The 6 was just superb with HD650s and I found myself going back to this amp over and over at the meet today. It's a gorgeous unit and I highly recommend it. The WA3 is a nice unit too, especially for the price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #14 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very, very stupid and shallow question: Black or Silver??
biggrin.gif

Silver. I love the industrial look of it.

But, just as Kees', this is also a stupid answer—and is this really going to be of any influence to whichever you decide to buy?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back