Woo WA6 SE vs. WA22
May 2, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #46 of 48
Color me interested in Glen amps. This is the first i'm learning about them. Great now another 24 hours of research will take away from my real life priorities.

2359Glenn thread is where you wanna spend those 24 hours. You can also talk to member 'leftside' as he recently acquired a Glenn 300b amp.

May 5, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #47 of 48
I owned a WA6SE, the biggest problem was it has only 6.3 output. Additionally it cannot drive my hd800 well.....
WA22 has XLR output but it is not "real balanced", but it sounds much better than WA6SE.
On this price, why not buy a littledot?

WA6-SE is a single-ended design so 1/4" output is suitable.

WA22 is fully balanced. We wouldn't market it that way if it wasn't.

Both models can drive HD800 to its potential when using the stock tubes.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #48 of 48
The WA6 SE is an oddity in a way. Far too limited in the ability to roll tubes and crippled compared to the WA22 with the inability to be used in full (any) balanced mode. With the changes made to the 22 in mid 2015 the 22 is versatile to the extreme. If I could not afford to run a 22 I would go with the WA6 rather than the SE. You miss too much when you can't roll some of the most popular fine NOS tubes or go with current manufactures if you choose. I know many love the SE but I would only buy one if I was trying to remove the temptation of building a nice selection of tubes to roll. There is a reason some of the most prolific posters are running a 22 and not an SE. Try to attend a show and try the two amps out.
For tube rolling, simply buy a used WASE 6, 1st Gen. It'll cost less than a 2nd Gen and sound exactly the same with the added advantage of tube rolling flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back