Woo WA22
Jan 8, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #211 of 322
The noise I am talking about only shows up after playing at really high volume after an hour or so with 274b and HF2. The other rectifiers don't do this since I don't leave the volume up as high maybe?? I Never get any audible noise with my high impedance phones, even if I do turn the volume ALL the way up on a silent background.

The DAC1 has almost no noise; although, I can still pick up a SUPER feint FM transmission from the PC>DAC1 with my B&W speakers if I turn up my arcam a65 amp all the way, and then I have to put my ear up to the metal tweeters. With my old DAC -the Keces 151 - the radio noise was orders of magnitude more audible even with headphones...

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #212 of 322
My WA22 is dead quite, and I have volume set between 11:00 ~ 12:00 with balanced HD650. 12:30~1:00 with RS-1 I had.

If you still running stock tubes, you missed 20% of SQ with WA22 at least.

WA22 is very sensitive to PC cable change, you could fine tune the sound with PC.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #213 of 322
I already swapped a regular USB cable for a kimber USB cable and it did reduce the noise somewhat, but not entirely. It's so feint that it cannot be picked up by headphones. It's inaudible unless the ears right up against my speakers at max volume. Some people have said using an external USB transport or SPDIF might get rid of it entirely but its not much of an issue for now.

Haven't tried 6CG7 / GZ34 with the HF2 yet, but I was loving that combo on the HD-650.

I just got in some Rayathon JAN-6080WB '68 power tubes to try soon.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #214 of 322
ok you're right, 6CG7 / GZ34 sounds better with the HF2 also and has plenty of power. Sound is amazing.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #215 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something sounds funny. I found the prototype WA22 to have gobs of power for HF-2 and RS-1 and the final version at RMAF was even more powerful. I wonder if the Sylvania 7236 tubes had anthing to do with the extra power?

The WA22 puts out some 2W with the 7236 tubes, I had to revert to 6080s because of too much gain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IctusBrucks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With 6SN7 / Sophia 274b on the HF2, the amp is SO underpowered that it's practically unlistenable. I have to turn volume knob to 3 o'clock to get anything out of the amp, and then it starts buzzing like a Beehive after several minutes. It was dead silent until being run at high volume awhile.

Man, that buzzing just gets to you, doesn't it? I've had the same problem with the Sophia 274B, praying every time that the buzzing won't start up halfway into a song. Since I haven't had this problem with any combination of tubes and the 5AR4 rectifier, I'm assuming that it's an unfortunate tube mismatch.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #216 of 322
The stock tubes that come with the wa22 - are they GE 6SN7 GTA by chance?

(Jack hasn't answered yet and I need to know for an auction thats about to end on ebay).

Thanks in advance.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #219 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not wast money on GE tubes unless they are 6550. That's why they are dirty cheap.

According to the 6SN7 Reference thread - these are some of the best "driver" 6SN7s. Hopefully they live up to their reputation.
regular_smile .gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ref...thread-117677/

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #220 of 322
My WA-22 is delayed for a week or so due to shipment issue from what I heard from Jack.

I wish Jack is more up front and communicative when it comes to these updates. I shouldn't have to send an email for an update when it's delayed. He should initiate for the customers.

If anyone is waiting for their WA-22, yours might be slightly late also.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #221 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by ygm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the 6SN7 Reference thread - these are some of the best "driver" 6SN7s. Hopefully they live up to their reputation.
regular_smile .gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ref...thread-117677/

GE made 6SN7 are far from the best. I do have many 6SN7 tubes from free gave away GE (the seller just drop in for free), to VT231 , or Brimar UK made 6SN7, etc. The only one I would recommend are Ken Rad VT231, and UK made 6SN7. Ken Rad is very fun and dynamic, UK 6SN7 are very musical.

But at end of game cheap 6F8G will overcome most my 6SN7 type collection for 99% of the music. I don't think I will go back to 6SN7 any time soon, of course so long 12AU7.

I don not think that thread / review is very accurate: Sylvania 6SN7GT / WGT / GTA / WGTA / GTB (1950s vintage). I had Sylvania 6SN7GTA brown base, sure they have VERY warm and full midrange, which shadows everything else. Boring to listen to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My WA-22 is delayed for a week or so due to shipment issue from what I heard from Jack.

I wish Jack is more up front and communicative when it comes to these updates. I shouldn't have to send an email for an update when it's delayed. He should initiate for the customers.

If anyone is waiting for their WA-22, yours might be slightly late also.

That sucks tosehee. I am waiting for my T1, another half month!

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #222 of 322
Quote:

GE made 6SN7 are far from the best. I do have many 6SN7 tubes from free gave away GE (the seller just drop in for free), to VT231 , or Brimar UK made 6SN7, etc. The only one I would recommend are Ken Rad VT231, and UK made 6SN7. Ken Rad is very fun and dynamic, UK 6SN7 are very musical.

But at end of game cheap 6F8G will overcome most my 6SN7 type collection for 99% of the music. I don't think I will go back to 6SN7 any time soon, of course so long 12AU7.

I don not think that thread / review is very accurate: Sylvania 6SN7GT / WGT / GTA / WGTA / GTB (1950s vintage). I had Sylvania 6SN7GTA brown base, sure they have VERY warm and full midrange, which shadows everything else. Boring to listen to.

Did you say that at the last meet others found your rig a bit "soft/warm"?

My plan is to go with more neutral power tubes like the 7236 or 6H13C and experiment with various driver tubes that I acquired.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #223 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2. Waiting for mine as well.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #224 of 322
Quote:

That sucks tosehee. I am waiting for my T1, another half month!

Some of my favorite 6SN7 type tubes were the Sylvania "Bad Boy", Sylvania VT-231, and JAN RCA grey glass VT-231, which all had great soundstage, good sparkle with rich mids, and good bass control in my Dark Voice 336i; and Hytron or Jan RCA brown/red base 5692 which tamed the highs a little better for Grados. I haven't heard the others you mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back