Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Jan 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #151 of 1,192
The Russian 6N13C (sometimes called 6H13C due to translation issues) has high gain.  It's not a bad sounding tube, either.  It's not the best tube in my collection, but it's not the worst.

Quote:
Any recommendations for tubes using the WA2 with LCD-2 and HE-500 ?

I read that the  5998 tubes give more output power?

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #153 of 1,192
The Mullard CV 2492's arrived. I'm not sure, but at a brief listening session, I thought the sound of my WA2 was a little bit darker/warmer... But it was good, I think I liked it.

BUT there was some noise. I didn't hear it while music was on, but there was a crackling sound. First I thought it was my pickup or riaa (just got T1 and they are more revealing than my other cans), but it was also there when switching to another input.

I bought these tubes as a matched pair, used. They have some burn marks on top, but seller said they meassured fine anyways. Are these tubes supposed to be noisy, no?

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #154 of 1,192
Changed my driver tube from the stock tube to E188CC siemens. The sound stage improve quite a lot and super low noise. 
L3000.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #155 of 1,192
Sadly I had to return the Mullard 2492 driver tubes, and now I think I miss them. Hard to define what it was, but they opened up the sound a bit more compared to the stock jan 6922 tubes. Now I'm going tube rolling!

I guess this is just another path in head-fi where you won't look back.

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #156 of 1,192
BTW: the Company I bought the Mullards from said, they have experienced problems with the Mullards in newer tube designs lately.

[size=medium]"Noise could also be due to poor power supply design (a common problem with mid priced modern tube gear) which may be shown more by sensitive tubes like Mullards. In such cases, Russian tubes tend to work better."[/size]

[size=medium]"We have sold Mullards by the hundreds otherwise and it is a benchmark tube for the E88CC type. ECC88/E88CC are frame grid designs and these can be very sensitive to line noise/vibrations from power supply. Sensitivity also varies a lot between manufacturers. For example, Russian E88CC are very crudely built but quite rugged and would work well in such situations. National (Matsu****a), NOS Tesla, Tungsram is also less sensitive to this issue etc etc."[/size]

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #157 of 1,192
Question for you rollers.

Where is the love for 6AS7 and family? Seemingly no modern reproductions or boutique makes. Even 6SN7 seems to get some boutique love (good value or not. Another matter).
I can find modern reproductions of 6922 / 6DJ8 and EZ80/81 but there is **** all on the 6AS7 / 6080 (seemingly, some svetlana production as of 2003 http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/164/6/6AS7.pdf)

Is the 6AS7 family so boring that it survives only on NOS of varying degrees? Many of the tubes on the compatible power tubes on the official list for WA2 appear either be near non-existant or hunted to extinction (some types don't turn up much in google at all). I'm inclined to make a start with some of the stuff that Woo is selling (having a hard time finding 7236s pretty much anywhere else.)

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #158 of 1,192
The reason you don't see any new production/boutique 6AS7 tubes is because mountains and mountains of NOS ones exist.  There are literally mountains of RCA 6AS7G and GE 6AS7GA tubes out there, and they run between $8-10.  If those disappeared, there are even more than a bazillion Russian 6N13 tubes out there.  Heck, you can even buy a pallet of 100 of those on eBay right now. 

There's just no market for new ones because the RCA and GEs sound pretty darn good.  And, they're not power tubes found in guitar amps.  Usually, new production tubes are made for the guitar market.

Quote:
Question for you rollers.

Where is the love for 6AS7 and family? Seemingly no modern reproductions or boutique makes. Even 6SN7 seems to get some boutique love (good value or not. Another matter).
I can find modern reproductions of 6922 / 6DJ8 and EZ80/81 but there is **** all on the 6AS7 / 6080 (seemingly, some svetlana production as of 2003 http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/164/6/6AS7.pdf)

Is the 6AS7 family so boring that it survives only on NOS of varying degrees? Many of the tubes on the compatible power tubes on the official list for WA2 appear either be near non-existant or hunted to extinction (some types don't turn up much in google at all). I'm inclined to make a start with some of the stuff that Woo is selling (having a hard time finding 7236s pretty much anywhere else.)

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #160 of 1,192
Hi All,

So I recently purchased a pair of 70Ohm SA-5000s. I will be listening to them in 10 days and in the meantime, I was wondering if you have any insight on what tubes would be good for these. 

Since they are lower impedance than T1s, I would understand they would require more current from WA2. I currently have all stock tubes on my WA2 and am a totoal noob in tube rolling.

What tubes would you recommend? Or should I buy a 100 Ohm adaptor for the Sonys and make it easier for WA2? Will 170Ohm be much easier on current than 70Ohm?

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #161 of 1,192
Just recently replaced the stock RCA driver tubes with Tung-Sol 7236s. Very happy with results so far, the sound seems much more engaging and intricate details in various songs are heightened.

Extremely happy with this current set and the only possible upgrade I'd consider now would be a quality set of matched GE 421As, which are nearly impossible to find at a reasonable price.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #162 of 1,192
If you meant WE 421, instead of GE 421, I can tell you to save your money.  They are just rebadged Tung-sol 5998s.  This has been disputed several times, and some people will fight to the death over the claimed superiority of the WE vs. Tung-sol, but it's non-existent.  They are the same tube.

Quote:
Just recently replaced the stock RCA driver tubes with Tung-Sol 7236s. Very happy with results so far, the sound seems much more engaging and intricate details in various songs are heightened.

Extremely happy with this current set and the only possible upgrade I'd consider now would be a quality set of matched GE 421As, which are nearly impossible to find at a reasonable price.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #163 of 1,192
i've been told that the 421 isn't exactly the same.  he was a tube vendor.  but his words were something like "almost exactly the same".  he made it sound like the numbers or values were slightly different.   he basically said there isn't any noticable difference in the performance.  
i don't know for sure, and i don't know if he did either lol.
i love the 5998.  they make the biggest difference in sound from the tubes i've put in.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #164 of 1,192

Quote:
If you meant WE 421, instead of GE 421, I can tell you to save your money.  They are just rebadged Tung-sol 5998s.  This has been disputed several times, and some people will fight to the death over the claimed superiority of the WE vs. Tung-sol, but it's non-existent.  They are the same tube.

Ahh I indeed meant the WE 421s. If they both are identical then thats good as the Tung-sol 5998s can be aquired at more realistic prices. I might try them one day...

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #165 of 1,192
Hi, I'm still waiting for mine. Tube noob. I bought some tubes already (when I thought it would all arrive at about the same time
tongue_smile.gif
) Yesterday I started putting them away and noticed that the pair of power tubes (6AS7 "Winged C") are actually physically different. OK, so the Tube Store doesn't do matching (by measurement) but it would have been nice to at least visually check to put in 2 similar ones...

They are both 54 OTK 75, one is a flat top 6H13C 84 12, the other is a round top 6H13C 0181. My question is whether they will sound slightly differently?

And related, while I know that numbers are available for all tubes, but in practical terms, will it just change the sound signature of the WA2 or does it actually increase the output power over the stock tubes?

And last, both had a dab of hard-to-remove magenta paint on top, is that factory or maybe somebody marking them afterwards for testing or similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back