Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Dec 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #107 of 1,192
I drop in RCA 6AS7G gray plate this afternoon. I am having 6 day weekend
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
. They sound little dry compare to GEC 6AS7G more 2D sounding, especially in mid range. GEC is smooth through out the range while maintain dynamic and attack, no dips anywhere, sound louder too. Not bad for the money at all. But if looking for the best, go GEC.

Again the difference between power tubes not as great as driver and rectifiers

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #108 of 1,192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he thinks GEC is too thick and warm for him, then CV2984 even more so.

As I said, My condition of GEC may be not so good.
Maybe NOS GEC also is full of dynamic ?
However, if I combine too many euro-brand tubes in one machine(in spite of siemens), It will produce too warm or thick sound.
Maybe I should try US brand rectifier....later
But at this moment, I want to enjoy my tubes....for a while.
darthsmile.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #109 of 1,192
Seems I'm gonne bring this thread back to life...

I'm using a WA2 for a year now but my pre-tube have started to make some noise. I have 2 sylvania 6922, both slighlty noisy and 1 EH-6922 gold that I consider dead (awfully noisy and less bright than its sister).
So I have to find a replacement... What would you suggest without going crazy expensive. say 120$ /pair ? I'm looking for something with a lots of clarity/detail and punch. (FYI I use TS-5998 and telefunken EZ-80)
I was thinking at tungsram 6922 red or tesla 6922 but that's just an idea.
7302's appears to be over budget from what I've seen.
I just what to bring my WA2 back to a good sound since I probably won't use it as much as I used to (Beta22 95% done... 5% to go
devil_face.gif
)
thanks

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #110 of 1,192
I also gave my $$ to Jack last week for a WA2, learned a lot in this post about tube rolling!

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #112 of 1,192
Dear all,

After doing some searches, i find most people using WA2 are using it with the Senn. only, any people using it with other cans, e.g. DT880, AKGs, etc.??

Also, i'd like to know for three types of tubes in WA2, which one would be the first to roll??

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #113 of 1,192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henerenry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where I can find a matched pair of GEC 6AS7G brown base tubes?

It is very tough. I kept checking Ebay and found a pair after 2 months. Also check the UK Ebay site and use the European type; A1834 - CV2523 - EI834.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #114 of 1,192
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear all,

After doing some searches, i find most people using WA2 are using it with the Senn. only, any people using it with other cans, e.g. DT880, AKGs, etc.??

Also, i'd like to know for three types of tubes in WA2, which one would be the first to roll??

I'm using Beyer T1s and find the sound stunning. A OTL like the WA2 works great with high ohm cans like T1s . I've used Denons with this amp and with good performance, but not as good as the Beyers.

I rolled the power tube first because I did not get the Upgrade and I prefer the Tung-sol 7236 over the Sylvania woo is offering. Vacuum tube dot net have NOS Tung-sol 7236s for $36 each.
I did the Drive tubes second and the rectifier 3rd

May 1, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #115 of 1,192
Does level of fatique vary from one tube to another?
- vary between tube types?
- vary between tubes within the same type?
- vary if same tube used in different components?

I am new to tube gears, and answers to the above questions would help me to decide whether to order a WA2 or go with a SS headphone amp.

Thank you in advance for the responses.

May 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #116 of 1,192
Quote:
Does level of fatique vary from one tube to another?
- vary between tube types?

I experienced fatigue with the Sylvania 7236 tubes in my WA2 with K702 headphones. The russian 6N13S, however, aren't fatiguing at all.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #117 of 1,192
Hello everyone,

OK so I just order a WA2!  I am so excited to get this baby after spending the last few weeks reading threads and reviews.  

I just got the stock version for everything, figuring on spending the left over money on tubes.  Which brings me to my question.  I have read that people highly praise the Tung sol 5998 tubes and also amperex bugle boy or orange globe 6DJ8.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good rectifier tube?  

I enjoy jazz and classical music and will be using them with my beyer dt880 600 ohms.  

Thanks all have a great day

tink97

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #118 of 1,192

Quote:
Hello everyone,

OK so I just order a WA2!  I am so excited to get this baby after spending the last few weeks reading threads and reviews.  

I just got the stock version for everything, figuring on spending the left over money on tubes.  Which brings me to my question.  I have read that people highly praise the Tung sol 5998 tubes and also amperex bugle boy or orange globe 6DJ8.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good rectifier tube?  

I enjoy jazz and classical music and will be using them with my beyer dt880 600 ohms.  

Thanks all have a great day

tink97

Im so glad to see this thread came alive !!

From what I read, the rectifier tubes don't change much of the sound quality. (when compared to swapping 6AS7s and 6922s)

Plus, there aren't many choices for EZ80s. (maybe not... im not sure)   I also wonder if you need to buy matched pair for this one??

Anyway, I always say this and will say again. TS5998 is a must have tubes for WA2!  These power tubes make your WA2 powerful
rolleyes.gif

If TS5998 brings the power to the amp, 6992 brings the resolutions. I was suprised at the differences that 6992 makes.

For 6992 information, try this site:
http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

read up to part 2.

Note that there are many fake bugle boys around. (I think I read that somewhere on last year)

hope you like the dt880 & WA2 combo. I surely do
L3000.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #119 of 1,192
Hey dink97,

I am also using WA2 with DT880/600. I have replaced my rectifier from stock one to RCA 6V4. it sound a bit warmer than the original one.

I also agree that u should consider to roll the other 2 types - the driver and power tube first, before thinking on the rectifier as it only have little adjustment.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #120 of 1,192
The Mullard EZ80 are pretty nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back