Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
May 19, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #406 of 1,192
Am selling my GEC 6080 NOS pair...only because I just bought a pair of GEC 6AS7G's (thanks to Franatic for his help!)

Here's the link to my posting on the For Sale Forum.  They need a worthy home.  The upper mids and treble are just killer on em. 

Pure liquid goodness.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/767962/gec-6080-nos-perfect-pair

*************** S O L D **************

May 22, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #407 of 1,192
Finally pulled the trigger on a WA2 last night.  As I told DG, I went with stock tubes only because all the NOS tubes I'm considering are different than what Woo were offering so why pay for NOS twice?   I'm going to call Andy at Vintage Tube Services and see what he has.  Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait......

Has anyone replaced the fuse in their Woo amps?  I added some boutique fuses to my loudspeaker system over the years and have seen considerable improvements. 

May 22, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #408 of 1,192
  Finally pulled the trigger on a WA2 last night.  As I told DG, I went with stock tubes only because all the NOS tubes I'm considering are different than what Woo were offering so why pay for NOS twice?   I'm going to call Andy at Vintage Tube Services and see what he has.  Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait......

Has anyone replaced the fuse in their Woo amps?  I added some boutique fuses to my loudspeaker system over the years and have seen considerable improvements. 

i put in 25 cents fuses in my WA6, WA2 ,WA22 ,among other's just to try   ,and  there's no change i would invest where it counts (tubes) but that's me .

May 22, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #409 of 1,192
I agree, don't buy any of the NOS tubes Woo sells! They are all junk!. For the Woo WA2 there is only 1 option. Siemens CCA (or E88CC). Get the 1960's grey shield A frame. Than get either the GEC 6AS7G or Western Electric 421A. Anything else is less than the best so like you said...why buy NOS twice!?! OH and I have no idea how fat your wallet is but you could also go for some Telefunken CCA. Those are $1000 each though for new ones.

May 22, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #410 of 1,192
My wallet is certainly not that fat. LOL.  I hear either the GEC 6AS7G or the Tung Sol 5998 would be great.  I was thinking either Siemens or Amperex for the drivers.

May 23, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #411 of 1,192
Ok, I called my tube guy and this is what my needs and wallet settled on g or my yet-to-be-delivered WA2:

NOS 6as7g Chatham
NOS "A" frame Amperex 6dj8
NOS Mullard Ez80

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #412 of 1,192
These arrived yesterday:

NOS 6as7g Chatham
NOS "A" frame Amperex 6dj8
NOS Mullard Ez80

After a lot of reading I thought these would be a good start.

I'm waiting for the WA2 which should be here any day.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #413 of 1,192
Hi,

I am planning to purchase the Woo WA2

Has anybody tried the combination of Genalex U709, Western Electric 421A and POPE E88CC ,D-Getter,Pinched Waist?

If so please let me know what your observations have been?

Thanks,

jsa_ind

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #414 of 1,192
  Hi,

I am planning to purchase the Woo WA2

Has anybody tried the combination of Genalex U709, Western Electric 421A and POPE E88CC ,D-Getter,Pinched Waist?

If so please let me know what your observations have been?

Thanks,

jsa_ind

No, but as a WA3 and WA2 owner for the last 12+ years I would advise (at least at first) against that esoteric tube combo (cost vs. performance).  Too expensive and results relative to a person's audio setup.  Try Brimar/ RFT rectifiers (Z80) and Amperex/ Siemens small signal (6922 Holland PQs) and TS 5998 output tubes.  It's really relative to your setup; ear, and music style/ source.

I have a tuned WA2 setup and would recommend upgrading cables etc. with a good tube compliment before running those exotic tubes.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #416 of 1,192
TS 5998 will take  your WA2 to another level. Comparing TS 5998 to others I have, they are different as night and day in term of musicality and performance (sound with 5998 is beautifully controlled with a touch of sweetness). I was lucky to get 4 NOS 5998 off eBay. Try your best to grab these. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #417 of 1,192
Thank you for the advise. Though the million dollar question is where can I find a NOS matched pair......one second thoughts in matching required? If so which of the three types of tubes need to be matched?

Any/all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #418 of 1,192
  Thank you for the advise. Though the million dollar question is where can I find a NOS matched pair......one second thoughts in matching required? If so which of the three types of tubes need to be matched?

Never bought matched pairs except for soxes lol and im just richer for it .Same brand and similar structure is good enough for me.Never heard a difference.

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #419 of 1,192

They are getting so rare. However, you can find them here, but sold at a very steep price. I got mine for $400 (4 tubes) bidding at eBay. As it's said, I think you will be all set if you have them exact in structure, and tested by the seller as NOS. Also it is better if they also come with warranty.

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #420 of 1,192

IMHO New Old Stock (NOS) isn't absolutely necessary, but I would strive to get as close to matched (e.g. gain levels/ construction/ date codes)  as possible.   Make sure the seller will take returns if tubes are noisy or have other issues.

Tung Sol 5998 (aka 2399) may be re-branded as Chatham, IBM, etc., just make sure to get the large (Coke) bottle glass with the domino plates.  TS is the only manufacturer of this tube type (as stated above) regardless of the branding.

Brimar Z80 tubes are harder to find and sometimes re-branded as GE or other, while the RFT Z80 will be easier to source (ebay.)  I would pick up a pair of the RFT while trying to source the Brimar rectifiers (the RFTs' are very good, but I think the Brimars' are even better.)

As far as the small signal (i.e. medium gain) tubes, well the same rules apply.  Below is a link that is a great reference (not gospel, but a very good guide)  which echoes some of my experiences and others (that I have read) for tube selection:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

I have sourced tubes from all around the world and wouldn't want to restrict my purchase options to just a few sellers.  But as always: "Caveat emptor" (Latin for "buyer beware".)  Enjoy the journey!

PS - Don't restrict your options to just what is listed above.  Keep the tube type (pairs) similar and sometimes you can create a set much cheaper by buying a piece from here and there (i.e. mixing and matching etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back