Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Feb 5, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #260 of 1,192
My RFT EZ80s finally arrived from Russia. They're a bit darker, which I enjoy quite a lot, than what I've been using (I actually prefer the HD 650s sound signature to the HD 800s, but chose the latter over the former because of its imaging). The RFTs have a silky treble and a deep, rich, full bass. Their only shortcoming that I could detect, which may be addressed a bit by burn in, was soundstaging: compared to every other rectifier I own, the RFT EZ80 soundstage seemed understated, almost to the point of non-existence. In any case, many thanks for the recommendation.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #261 of 1,192
It must all be how the circuit is designed.  In my Trafomatic, the RFT EZ80 is extremely linear with an extended upper end.  I certainly wouldn't call it dark.  I do call it extremely detailed, with a wide soundstage, while remaining very musical. 

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #262 of 1,192
  It must all be how the circuit is designed.  In my Trafomatic, the RFT EZ80 is extremely linear with an extended upper end.  I certainly wouldn't call it dark.  I do call it extremely detailed, with a wide soundstage, while remaining very musical. 

+1

the soundstage isn't huge but its definitely not small.

extended and linear is the best way to describe them for sure!

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #263 of 1,192
Curious. Hodgjy's description is, basically to a word, how I'd describe my Phillips Miniwatt ez81s. The soundstage on the RFT EZ80s expands slightly at higher volumes, but it's still only about a third the size of the miniwatt's soundstage, which is both vast and magical. And I'd definitely characterize the top end on my RFTs as rolled off, starting at about 8 kHz, and dramatically by 10 kHz--which no doubt affects the imaging. Cymbals and high hats are very shy, and have zero decay. The tubes should be about half way burned in by now, and I haven't detected any real change in sound signature or imaging. Very curious. Sounds like I might've gotten a dud or two.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #264 of 1,192
I may roll in some other EZ80s I have laying around (I have a bunch) and see what I kind.  But, a lot of the tube sound is all about synergy and circuit design, so direct comparisons aren't always possible. 

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #265 of 1,192
I rolled in my Ei EZ80 this weekend into my Trafomatic.  Granted, it's a completely different design than the WA2.  Compared to the RFT EZ80, it's warmer and more bottom heavy.  The high end is rolled off in comparison.  So, it's not as linear as the RFT.  The soundstage is a just a touch wider.  Nothing to stop the presses, though.

The Ei is a nice tube.  But, the RFT is nicer.  The RFT's only weakness is a slightly smaller soundstage, but it's only the smallest touch smaller.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #266 of 1,192
By any chance, do you all know of any place where the RFT EZ80 is in stock? I'm thinking of testing it out with the current EZ80 tubes I have.

I went through like a couple of websites, and it seem to be selling really fast. There was one seller which I delayed purchase confirmation for 2 days and it went out of stock!

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #267 of 1,192
Tubemonger.com has RFT EZ81 in stock.  Other than that, I think you'll have to take your chances on eBay.  That's what I did.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #268 of 1,192
yeah ebay is easiest source for RFT EZ80. i guess most of the tube stores will eventually run out and that will be the only place to get.

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #269 of 1,192
After giving me Ei EZ80 a workout this weekend, I put the RFT back in.  Wow, the RFT is so much more transparent and linear.  It's also much less congested.  Overall, it's the superior tube.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #270 of 1,192
Haha hodgjy, you're just trying to tease me by saying ^.

I have the Tungsram EZ80 which sounds pretty decent - but it's the 'what I am missing' feeling that impulses me to try the RFT out. 

Hopefully I can get a decently priced one out of ebay. Thanks for the help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back