WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Feb 25, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #2,358 of 2,600
What sound signature do you prefer?  I was going for more bass oomph and the reviews of the CBS seemed perfect.  

If you want bass oomph stay away from those Mullard CV4003s. I bought them cuz everyone said they're amazing, and yeah, they're smooth sounding and really have no flaws from lows to highs except to me they sounded ruler flat. They work perfect for non bassy music but for my edm..nope..boring. I tried to like them since I spent $160 for em but no thanks..not for me. Sold em.

Go Sylvania JAN 5814 or Hytrons for bass. Also, stay away from the Phillips ECC82s mentioned in that tube rolling guide. Yes they're bassy but everything else sounds dull and muddy. Enjoy!

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #2,359 of 2,600
If you want bass oomph stay away from those Mullard CV4003s. I bought them cuz everyone said they're amazing, and yeah, they're smooth sounding and really have no flaws from lows to highs except to me they sounded ruler flat. They work perfect for non bassy music but for my edm..nope..boring. I tried to like them since I spent $160 for em but no thanks..not for me. Sold em.

Go Sylvania JAN 5814 or Hytrons for bass. Also, stay away from the Phillips ECC82s mentioned in that tube rolling guide. Yes they're bassy but everything else sounds dull and muddy. Enjoy!

I like a ton of genres, but one of my favorite has always been punk/pop punk.  Bands like Green Day or Nofx sound a lot better with good bass and kinda screechy otherwise.  

I just did the SDR mod yesterday, and I have to admit it really made a good difference.  The sibilance is way better and effectively leveled out the sound a bit.  Now just waiting for all the amps and tubes to arrive.  

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,360 of 2,600
@kyle1010 and

@Priscilla Rose

The WA7t/tp duo finally arrived after Fedex got my hopes up on Saturday saying it was out for delivery.  

Initial impressions are a large step up over my Chord Mojo lol.

So I know I haven't really burned in the stock tubes yet, but good lord my impressions were pretty quick and my friend agreed.  

The Gold Pin upgrade for the amp...  Sucks...  I don't know what it is but the bass is like anorexic with them and either PSU tube pair I own.  Wonder if Woo takes refunds on them lol...

Stock and stock on both was pretty good.  But yeah, you guys were right, the Hytrons freakin shine.  They add some awesome thump to my HD800SDRs and really just sound awesome.  Probably at least as precise as the stock tubes with a much nicer sound signature.

I'm really happy right now haha.  They look so freakin cool too!

Thanks a ton for both your help!

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #2,361 of 2,600
@kyle1010
 and

@Priscilla Rose

The WA7t/tp duo finally arrived after Fedex got my hopes up on Saturday saying it was out for delivery.  

Initial impressions are a large step up over my Chord Mojo lol.

So I know I haven't really burned in the stock tubes yet, but good lord my impressions were pretty quick and my friend agreed.  

The Gold Pin upgrade for the amp...  Sucks...  I don't know what it is but the bass is like anorexic with them and either PSU tube pair I own.  Wonder if Woo takes refunds on them lol...

Stock and stock on both was pretty good.  But yeah, you guys were right, the Hytrons freakin shine.  They add some awesome thump to my HD800SDRs and really just sound awesome.  Probably at least as precise as the stock tubes with a much nicer sound signature.

I'm really happy right now haha.  They look so freakin cool too!

Thanks a ton for both your help!

Right!? The gold pins ruin the bass impact and don't really add much to make up for it. I'd totally take a refund if I could. Anyway, glad we could help. Can we get some pics of your setup? Possibly some glowing tubes? :)

Edit: Just for fun try running the Mojo line level just as a DAC into the WA7 RCA inputs. With it powered off, hold down the two volume buttons on the Mojo then simultaneously push power to turn it on. You'll then be at line level to output from the Mojo straight into the WA7 RCAs with the proper 3.5mm to RCA cable. See if you can hear a difference from the WA7 built in DAC and let us know!

Also, if you get the upgrade bug, realize that it takes a LOT of $ to get significantly better sound than that WA7tp. I'm rockin a top notch tubes upgraded WA22 with LCD-4s and I still sometimes miss the smooth sound of my WA7tp with Hytrons. It's hanging out in my closet in its box for now but it's coming back out as soon as I make some room for it. I'll never sell that amp, it's too good.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #2,362 of 2,600
Right!? The gold pins ruin the bass impact and don't really add much to make up for it. I'd totally take a refund if I could. Anyway, glad we could help. Can we get some pics of your setup? Possibly some glowing tubes?
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Just for fun try running the Mojo line level just as a DAC into the WA7 RCA inputs. With it powered off, hold down the two volume buttons on the Mojo then simultaneously push power to turn it on. You'll then be at line level to output from the Mojo straight into the WA7 RCAs with the proper 3.5mm to RCA cable. See if you can hear a difference from the WA7 built in DAC and let us know!

Also, if you get the upgrade bug, realize that it takes a LOT of $ to get significantly better sound than that WA7tp. I'm rockin a top notch tubes upgraded WA22 with LCD-4s and I still sometimes miss the smooth sound of my WA7tp with Hytrons. It's hanging out in my closet in its box for now but it's coming back out as soon as I make some room for it. I'll never sell that amp, it's too good.

Yeah, I literally emailed woo asking if they're defective.  I lost the bass in some songs completely...

Otherwise it's awesome.  The stock tubes across the board were better than that and the hytrons even better.

And yeah, besides the electro harmonixs sounding awful this thing is amazing, and I haven't even burned anything in yet.  The SDR mod + Hytron tubes really makes a huge difference on what genres the HD800s can do.  They sound way better on bassier music now.  

As for pics, sure!  My set up is super cramped at the moment, should be changing soon but for now it has to work like this lol.  (also no I don't normally put my headphones on the monitor)

I'll post full specs below (though I'll hope spoiler tags work).

Specs:
Wa7t/tp duo (obviously)
Sennheiser HD800SDR mod (also have ie800s and Chord Mojo which I'll test soon)

Speakers: LSR4328ps

My computer and audio gear is currently leagues above my... everything else lol.  Priorities priorities...

Edit: How do spoiler tags work on here?  

Also the WA7 is supposed to get pretty hot right?  the base of mine are quite quite warm.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,365 of 2,600
i know it looks cool up there but you will also get better sound if you separate the two units by a couple inches.

Haha, no I don't think it looks cool I think it looks jerry rigged, but I don't have room to spread them out more. I should fairly soon though. Do they interfere with each other that close?

I don't even want anything on my speakers at all but I don't have room in this apartment.

Also again how do you make a spoiler tag?

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #2,366 of 2,600
Haha, no I don't think it looks cool I think it looks jerry rigged, but I don't have room to spread them out more. I should fairly soon though. Do they interfere with each other that close?

I don't even want anything on my speakers at all but I don't have room in this apartment.

Also again how do you make a spoiler tag?

They do slightly.  I've noticed a couple inches between seems to be enough to kill the crosstalk.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #2,367 of 2,600
  Yeah, I literally emailed woo asking if they're defective.  I lost the bass in some songs completely...

Otherwise it's awesome.  The stock tubes across the board were better than that and the hytrons even better.

And yeah, besides the electro harmonixs sounding awful this thing is amazing, and I haven't even burned anything in yet.  The SDR mod + Hytron tubes really makes a huge difference on what genres the HD800s can do.  They sound way better on bassier music now.  

As for pics, sure!  My set up is super cramped at the moment, should be changing soon but for now it has to work like this lol.  (also no I don't normally put my headphones on the monitor)

I'll post full specs below (though I'll hope spoiler tags work).

Specs:
Wa7t/tp duo (obviously)
Sennheiser HD800SDR mod (also have ie800s and Chord Mojo which I'll test soon)

Speakers: LSR4328ps

My computer and audio gear is currently leagues above my... everything else lol.  Priorities priorities...

Edit: How do spoiler tags work on here?  

Also the WA7 is supposed to get pretty hot right?  the base of mine are quite quite warm.

The heat is dissipated into the aluminum chassis so it does get warm. This method is better than using internal fans. :p

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #2,368 of 2,600
@Priscilla Rose 

@kyle1010

So the DAC difference is kind of annoying me.  The stock DAC has more bass which I generally like, but the Chord Mojo is definitely like...  Smoother I would say.  I blind tested my buddy and he also came to the same conclusion without me saying anything.  The stock DAC is like harsher somehow, it's like I mostly prefer the Mojo (but wish it had a touch more clarity) but I miss the bass.  Gah...

Any DAC favorites people pair with this thing?

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2,369 of 2,600

I'd love to know as well!

Personally, I'd love to see a gen3 Fireflies with an R2R multi-bit DAC built in and a balanced headphone output. I'd be willing to pay $200–$500 more for such a unit. I don't care about DSD and love the visual appeal and small footprint of the Fireflies. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,370 of 2,600
@Priscilla Rose

@kyle1010

So the DAC difference is kind of annoying me.  The stock DAC has more bass which I generally like, but the Chord Mojo is definitely like...  Smoother I would say.  I blind tested my buddy and he also came to the same conclusion without me saying anything.  The stock DAC is like harsher somehow, it's like I mostly prefer the Mojo (but wish it had a touch more clarity) but I miss the bass.  Gah...

I hear ya man. I'm pretty much always chasing more bass in this head-fi hobby. But I like all the other qualities like the smoothness and imaging the Mojo does too. Did you ever buy a set of those Sylvania JAN 5814s? Those are the bassiest WA7 tubes to me and might play well with the Mojo. If not, you're gonna come down with a little disease we like to call upgrade-itis. Symptoms include increased forum reading and thinning wallet. There is no known cure. Be advised my friend. (*whispers* Look into bassier headphones *cough* pre-2016 LCD-Xs *cough*)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back