WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Apr 3, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #2,386 of 2,600
Shhhhh don't tell anybody lol. Nah it's shockingly good to be honest, but I can tell I'm shortchanging my LCD4s. That's the system I had been using for my old LCD-Xs but the 4s are so revealing I now hear the limitations of the Mojo. That's why I'm getting a Hugo 2, but also because it's small enough to fit in that little nightstand area that's pictured.

The jump from Mojo to iDac-6 was rather noticeable.  I also thought the Mojo was brighter and fuzzier than the WA7 2nd gen dac.  So I'd recommend upping your game with cans that good.

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #2,387 of 2,600
I agree the dac  in the the wa7 is not all that good that's it's weak point,..

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #2,388 of 2,600
The jump from Mojo to iDac-6 was rather noticeable.  I also thought the Mojo was brighter and fuzzier than the WA7 2nd gen dac.  So I'd recommend upping your game with cans that good.

Well yeah dude that's why I'm buying Hugo 2 this weekend. Took a little while to recover my conscience after the LCD-4 splurge not even 3 months ago. One thing at a time lol.

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,389 of 2,600
Hi yall I'm in need of advice.

I have the grace m9xx, and my headphones are th900, T1, hd800, thx00, he500, d7k, hd650, hd600, x2.

Would the woo audio wa7 firefly be better or a upgrade to the m9xx.

Does the purchase make sense.

Thank you

I have the m9XX and the first edition of the WA7 and some of the same HPs you have.

My cut is the WA7 is a work of art and sounds quite nice with my HD600's which I usually listen to it with.  I am really not a big fan of tube gear, but bought the WA7 to see why so many in today's age like the tube sound.  I don't like waiting for it to warm up and remembering to turn it off after a listening session or the heat it produces,  Mine has the upgraded Electro Harmonix 6C45 tubes and they usually introduce a bit of hiss like noise as they warm up which makes me usually wait about 10 minutes after turn on so that the audio is stable and dead silent like it should be.  This is just the nature of tubes I believe and of course they will sound different as they age and eventually have to be replaced.

The m9XX is just an outstanding performer on anything I have thrown at it; high impedance, low impedance or planer.  It employs AKM's flagship AK4490 DAC and Grace seems to really understand the chip and implements many filters to go along with it to suit most anyone's taste.  The WA7 DAC is the TI PCM5102A DAC which sounds OK in my book, but many do elect to use the WA7 as the nice Class A tube amp that it is and provide their own favorite DAC.

I also like to compare HPs and find 2 or more jacks convenient as opposed to plugging and and unplugging.  The WA7 has two jacks a 3.5mm and a 6.3mm but only one can be used at a time.

For my HD800 I like Sennheiser's own HDVD800 DAC/Amp and usually use a balanced cable which neither the WA7 or m9XX supports.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #2,390 of 2,600
Hi yall I'm in need of advice.

I have the grace m9xx, and my headphones are th900, T1, hd800, thx00, he500, d7k, hd650, hd600, x2.

Would the woo audio wa7 firefly be better or a upgrade to the m9xx.

Does the purchase make sense.

Thank you

I have the m9XX and the first edition of the WA7 and some of the same HPs you have.

My cut is the WA7 is a work of art and sounds quite nice with my HD600's which I usually listen to it with.  I am really not a big fan of tube gear, but bought the WA7 to see why so many in today's age like the tube sound.  I don't like waiting for it to warm up and remembering to turn it off after a listening session or the heat it produces,  Mine has the upgraded Electro Harmonix 6C45 tubes and they usually introduce a bit of hiss like noise as they warm up which makes me usually wait about 10 minutes after turn on so that the audio is stable and dead silent like it should be.  This is just the nature of tubes I believe and of course they will sound different as they age and eventually have to be replaced.

The m9XX is just an outstanding performer on anything I have thrown at it; high impedance, low impedance or planer.  It employs AKM's flagship AK4490 DAC and Grace seems to really understand the chip and implements many filters to go along with it to suit most anyone's taste.  The WA7 DAC is the TI PCM5102A DAC which sounds OK in my book, but many do elect to use the WA7 as the nice Class A tube amp that it is and provide their own favorite DAC.

I also like to compare HPs and find 2 or more jacks convenient as opposed to plugging and and unplugging.  The WA7 has two jacks a 3.5mm and a 6.3mm but only one can be used at a time.

For my HD800 I like Sennheiser's own HDVD800 DAC/Amp and usually use a balanced cable which neither the WA7 or m9XX supports.

Am I going to see improvement going from the grace to the woo audio. What about using the grace as a dac and firefly as the amp.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #2,391 of 2,600
Well yeah dude that's why I'm buying Hugo 2 this weekend. Took a little while to recover my conscience after the LCD-4 splurge not even 3 months ago. One thing at a time lol.

How would you compare the LCD-4s to the HD800s?  Sounds like they would be better for rock music.  Have you used them with the Fireflies?

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,392 of 2,600
How would you compare the LCD-4s to the HD800s?  Sounds like they would be better for rock music.  Have you used them with the Fireflies?

I've only listened to HD800s at CanJam last year, but they're completely different from LCD-4s. Audeze sound is more, dark, visceral, musical and seductive. HD800s are a more plain, flat, and reference type of sound from what I remember. I think a wider variety of music would sound good on H800s, but with the right recordings the LCDs are otherworldly good.

My WA7tp has been in its box in the closet for almost a year now so I haven't tried it with the 4s, but my guess is it would sound smooth and lovely but not have much punch and dynamics since it's way underpowered for the 200 ohm LCD-4s.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,393 of 2,600
Apologies if this has already been answered, but I have a question about the recommended Sylvania JAN 5814A 12AU7 tubes for the WA7tp. I bought a pair from a listing on eBay that advertised it exactly as that, but I received a JRC 5814A tube manufactured by Radio Corp of America instead. The seller assured me these were exactly the same. Is this true? This is my first tube purchase so all I have is his word to go on. I don't receive my WA7tp until Friday so I'm unable to verify how they sound.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #2,394 of 2,600
Apologies if this has already been answered, but I have a question about the recommended Sylvania JAN 5814A 12AU7 tubes for the WA7tp. I bought a pair from a listing on eBay that advertised it exactly as that, but I received a JRC 5814A tube manufactured by Radio Corp of America instead. The seller assured me these were exactly the same. Is this true? This is my first tube purchase so all I have is his word to go on. I don't receive my WA7tp until Friday so I'm unable to verify how they sound.
Well, they are two different companies Sylvania and RCA. Of course the seller can argue that they are both 5814As which resemble each other, but tubes are like wine. It has to be manufactured by a certain company during a certain time period, otherwise they are no good. I would say ask to return the item for a refund.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,395 of 2,600
Well, they are two different companies Sylvania and RCA. Of course the seller can argue that they are both 5814As which resemble each other, but tubes are like wine. It has to be manufactured by a certain company during a certain time period, otherwise they are no good. I would say ask to return the item for a refund.

Thank you. I think I will be requesting a return.

Wondering if you have any information on the recommended CBS Hytron tubes. I found a pair of JHY 12AU7 made by CBS Hytron with red labeling and black plates. They seem rather pricey, but if these are the same ones that are being recommended for the WA7tp, then I will gladly try to acquire them. Any idea if they are the same?

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,396 of 2,600
Why do some people seem to prefer the WA8 to the WA7?  

I'm somewhat confused that if the WA8 is around the same price, why would the small battery powered WA8 be superior to the WA7?  

I've seen a few people say the WA8 is amazing and the WA7 didn't do it for them.  Maybe I just really love my CBS Hytrons?  idk.

Anyone one hear also have a WA8?  Or just in general have thoughts on that?

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #2,397 of 2,600
Thank you. I think I will be requesting a return.

Wondering if you have any information on the recommended CBS Hytron tubes. I found a pair of JHY 12AU7 made by CBS Hytron with red labeling and black plates. They seem rather pricey, but if these are the same ones that are being recommended for the WA7tp, then I will gladly try to acquire them. Any idea if they are the same?
Ya, CBS Hytron 5814A or 5814WA are both fine. I only tried the red labelling, don't know about the white or blue ones.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,400 of 2,600

it's probably worth mentioning here that you're referring to the WA7 version 1 in regards to the dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back