WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Sep 21, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,191 of 2,601
Hello. I can chime in regarding gen 1 vs gen2. I bought gen1 in February and just bought gen 2. I moved gen 1 into my basement and will use it as an amp for my turntable set up. I immediately noticed an improvement with gen 2. The resolution and detail in the music is much better with the dac in the gen 2 unit. I frankly was expecting a minor difference but I was wrong. There is more instrument separation in gen 2 and the bass seemed better to me also.

Thanks for the insight. Was there any of the so-called "digititus" that some say is a weakness of the Sabre dacs? Resolution being pushed a bit too far into harshness or agressiveness (that might not be the best match for brighter cans)?

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #2,192 of 2,601
I'm very susceptible to sibilance and have detected no appreciable brightness/digitus with the dac. Although I'm not in the know about the internal workings of the amp and Mike would be a better person to chime in on this subject, I would bet that Woo took the brightness into consideration when they incorporated the dac into the amp.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #2,193 of 2,601
No worries, I'm trying to "break in" the upgraded tubes as well as a new Schiit Jotunheim. Not enough hours in a day when you work F/T and have a life.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #2,197 of 2,601
Exactly. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to drop money on this hobby when i have a demanding job and 3 kids ( 2 of which are teenagers). 

You probably do this as I do because it's a nice diversion from reality. Plus, I always have my "I didn't hear you I had the headphones on" excuse at the ready. :grin:

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #2,198 of 2,601
Is the bitrate option only on the sierra?. I did not see it when i chose woo audio under el capitan

Also do you only see that if you have a Gen 2? If I remember, my Gen 1 used to show up as 'Speakers' or something.

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #2,199 of 2,601

Is the bitrate option only on the sierra?. I did not see it when i chose woo audio under el capitan

Apple changed the look in macOS Sierra. You get a different looking dropdown in El Capitan 

Also do you only see that if you have a Gen 2? If I remember, my Gen 1 used to show up as 'Speakers' or something.

2nd gen uses XMOS USB controller with branding, 1st gen is Cmedia no branding. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,200 of 2,601
No worries, I'm trying to "break in" the upgraded tubes as well as a new Schiit Jotunheim. Not enough hours in a day when you work F/T and have a life.

Would love to hear your views on how the Fireflies and Joty compare... when you have time! 

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,201 of 2,601
Apple changed the look in macOS Sierra. You get a different looking dropdown in El Capitan 

2nd gen uses XMOS USB controller with branding, 1st gen is Cmedia no branding. 

So that drop down selection will apply for the Gen 1 as well?

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #2,202 of 2,601

Would love to hear your views on how the Fireflies and Joty compare... when you have time! 

Okay, but first I have to disclose that by no means am I a "pro" and these are all my personal although short & sweet opinions. :)  
First off I really, love the Jot. It's SQ is superb and the price is phenomenal! I bought the one with the extra 100.00 DAC and I find it more than adequate. I also like the idea that I can play balanced HP's as well as use the SE at the same time, which allows me to do some albeit uneven comparisons between my Ether C's and HD 800s's.
But I also find myself switching back to the WA7 2nd Gen. (w/ WA7tp) when I want to hear (excuse the cliché) something a little warmer and smoother if you will... I was listening to some Miles Davis and some Grateful Dead  and I prefer the WA7's for that sort of music or for relaxing.
The Jot to me anyway is more in your face jam out & crank up some Zep or Sabbath kind of amp for me.
Together they make a great couple.:)

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #2,203 of 2,601
Wait, did I miss the details about upgrading a gen1 WA7 to gen2 with the new DAC?  I would like to do this... what do I need to do?  At the same time one of the tube LEDs is intermittent in my unit so they might be able to also repair this at the same time. Oh and is there a discount for upgrading 2 units at the same time?

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #2,204 of 2,601
  Wait, did I miss the details about upgrading a gen1 WA7 to gen2 with the new DAC?  I would like to do this... what do I need to do?  At the same time one of the tube LEDs is intermittent in my unit so they might be able to also repair this at the same time. Oh and is there a discount for upgrading 2 units at the same time?

Thank you for your continued support. Pls. send us an email when you're ready. We'll give you all the deets.
beerchug.gif
info@wooaudio.com 

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,205 of 2,601

Okay, but first I have to disclose that by no means am I a "pro" and these are all my personal although short & sweet opinions. :)  
First off I really, love the Jot. It's SQ is superb and the price is phenomenal! I bought the one with the extra 100.00 DAC and I find it more than adequate. I also like the idea that I can play balanced HP's as well as use the SE at the same time, which allows me to do some albeit uneven comparisons between my Ether C's and HD 800s's.
But I also find myself switching back to the WA7 2nd Gen. (w/ WA7tp) when I want to hear (excuse the cliché) something a little warmer and smoother if you will... I was listening to some Miles Davis and some Grateful Dead  and I prefer the WA7's for that sort of music or for relaxing.
The Jot to me anyway is more in your face jam out & crank up some Zep or Sabbath kind of amp for me.
Together they make a great couple.:)

Thanks. Would you say the Jot is a relatively "warm" SS amp overall (I've heard it said)? Something that might tame some of the worst excesses of, say, Beyer or HD800 high frequencies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back