WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Oct 3, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,221 of 2,601
  Can anyone post for me a heavy bass track with no distortion during the bass hits?  I am trying to decvide if my tube swap fixed the bass issue but all the heavy bass tracks i have seem to have some bass distortion when the bass hits.  I need something heavy and super clean to verify against.

A Milli by Lil Wayne? Haha!

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #2,222 of 2,601
I was wondering if it is possible to use the WA 7 with desktop speakers? e.g if I connect it to computer via USB and then use the RCA connectors to connect it to a pair of desktop speakers like The Adam Audio F5 or Emotiva airmotiv 5?

Thanks for any input.

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,223 of 2,601
  I was wondering if it is possible to use the WA 7 with desktop speakers? e.g if I connect it to computer via USB and then use the RCA connectors to connect it to a pair of desktop speakers like The Adam Audio F5 or Emotiva airmotiv 5?

Thanks for any input.

you can but it is just a line level dac, no pre-amp no tube goodness.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #2,225 of 2,601
Has anyone tried the WA7 with a Schitt amp, in particular the Jotunheim?

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #2,226 of 2,601
Oct 11, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #2,227 of 2,601
Oct 11, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #2,228 of 2,601

I don't think the WA7 is worth it as a DAC on its own. It works great as an all in one solution but probably not worth getting another amp to use the DAC on the WA7.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2,229 of 2,601
I don't think the WA7 is worth it as a DAC on its own. It works great as an all in one solution but probably not worth getting another amp to use the DAC on the WA7.

Totally agree. It's really expensive to use as just a dac (and a not great one). If you want a dac to use with the Jot, get a Modi multibit. I'm actually using one with my WA7, sounds great!

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,230 of 2,601
Totally agree. It's really expensive to use as just a dac (and a not great one). If you want a dac to use with the Jot, get a Modi multibit. I'm actually using one with my WA7, sounds great!

Can you tell us more about the multibit and WA7 combo? Also do you use the USB or optical input?

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2,231 of 2,601
I listen to mostly classical (symphonic, opera, chamber) It's way more open and detailed, a bit warmer. Imaging is perfect now, instead of just approximate. Soundstage seems a bit deeper and taller.. Much more resolving. Everything just sounds more real. It's a phenomenal dac, regardless of the cost.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #2,232 of 2,601
  I listen to mostly classical (symphonic, opera, chamber) It's way more open and detailed, a bit warmer. Imaging is perfect now, instead of just approximate. Soundstage seems a bit deeper and taller.. Much more resolving. Everything just sounds more real. It's a phenomenal dac, regardless of the cost.

Thank you for that. For 1st gen users it seems like a better investment to get the multibit modi than send it in for the gen 2 upgrade. Have you had a chance to compare the usb vs optical input?

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #2,233 of 2,601
Quick question on tubes... how much random popping and crackling is normal for tubes on the Fireflies, or indeed in general? I have a new set of (standard) tubes and if I'm just sitting with no music playing I hear a brief pop/crackle every 30 seconds or so from one of the tubes against the otherwise silent background (I assume its one of the tubes because I switched them around last night and the pop/crackle is now in the other ear).  

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #2,234 of 2,601
  Quick question on tubes... how much random popping and crackling is normal for tubes on the Fireflies, or indeed in general? I have a new set of (standard) tubes and if I'm just sitting with no music playing I hear a brief pop/crackle every 30 seconds or so from one of the tubes against the otherwise silent background (I assume its one of the tubes because I switched them around last night and the pop/crackle is now in the other ear).  

​Some noise in the first half hour after start up is normal . If noise persists after warm up I would discard the tube

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #2,235 of 2,601
I don't want to hijack this thread too much with discussion of the Mimby, there's a big thread for that. Short version: I can't hear any difference between optical and USB on my Macbook Pro or compared to USB on my crappy Dell work laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back