WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Jul 24, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,981 of 2,600
  I've never really used the D/A mode on my WA7. I just recently started to use it with my new Sceptre S8's + Temblor T10.
The T10 is the sub controller, has balanced inputs. I bought a balanced DAC but it won't be here for a few weeks.
The T10 also has RCA unbalanced inputs that I'm using from the WA7. I get a low analogue noise hum. Is this normal? I assume it is because it's not balanced, and that's the main reason to use balanced inputs. I just want a second opinion. 

You might have a ground-loop with the Temblor T10.  Try lifting the ground on it.  Also, be sure to use high quality RCA cables less than 3m runs.

There are many dacs that would be considered an upgrade. Considering the WA7 doesn't do DSD, a lot of DSD-capable dacs would be considered an "upgrade" in my opinion.

If you're interested in a DSD dac, ted_b has a dac database up on Google docs that he's shared a link to: DSD DAC Database

We don't put non-matured features on our products.  That is why we don't need to update our products every two years to keep up with trends.  Disposable electronics are bad for the consumer and bad for the environment.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,983 of 2,600
Hi sweetdreams,

I did order the 5 pin, though it is best to tell them that you want to use it on a WA7. Because Woo has a specialized 5-pin setup.

By the way sorry for running late on the review, I have been sick the last few days so it might be a bit before I get the update online. However this cable is outstanding in every way. Clarity, black back ground, extension. I really cannot imagine living without it. It takes the WA7 to a whole other level.

Mark

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,984 of 2,600
  Hi sweetdreams,

I did order the 5 pin, though it is best to tell them that you want to use it on a WA7. Because Woo has a specialized 5-pin setup.

By the way sorry for running late on the review, I have been sick the last few days so it might be a bit before I get the update online. However this cable is outstanding in every way. Clarity, black back ground, extension. I really cannot imagine living without it. It takes the WA7 to a whole other level.

Mark

How much is the cable, shortest?

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,985 of 2,600
  Has anyone connected a current generation iPad or iPOD touch to the WA7 and used the WA7's DAC?  My understanding is that you need a lightening to USB adapter?

Is the sound degraded at all?

What settings are needed in the midi control panel for Apple lossless files from ripped CDs??

Thanks

Yes, what you heard is correct. The lightning to usb camera adapter + usb A to B cable are required. 

Sound is not degraded.

Hello all,

I'm wondering if this coupler will provide another solution, its a usb female a to male b.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Adapter-Female-Socket-Male/dp/B004HSUCCM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JM0KJZXBHSC77VD382J

This would suit me better as I'm looking to use both apple and android devices and it would save me on shelling out for both 'on the go' adapters and 'lightening to usb'.  However at that price I'm worried I'm introducing a substandard component into the system.  Any thoughts?

I also read on one of many reviews that only a jailbroken ipod touch 5th gen is compatible with the wa7.  Is this true?  It sounds a bit strange to me.

Keep up the good work guys, loving the thread

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #1,987 of 2,600
  Hi sweetdreams,

Mark

That's awesome glad to hear it makes such a difference..

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #1,988 of 2,600

Hello all,

I'm wondering if this coupler will provide another solution, its a usb female a to male b.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Adapter-Female-Socket-Male/dp/B004HSUCCM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JM0KJZXBHSC77VD382J

This would suit me better as I'm looking to use both apple and android devices and it would save me on shelling out for both 'on the go' adapters and 'lightening to usb'.  However at that price I'm worried I'm introducing a substandard component into the system.  Any thoughts?

I also read on one of many reviews that only a jailbroken ipod touch 5th gen is compatible with the wa7.  Is this true?  It sounds a bit strange to me.

Keep up the good work guys, loving the thread

Hi there cry5alis!

welcome to WA7-land. 

Hopefully mike of Woo audio will pop in shortly to verify this but i'm pretty sure that the only way you're able to extract a digital audio signal from an apple device for a USB DAC like the WA7 is by using the lightning to USB camera adapter thingy  (or the 30pin to USB CCK if you're using an older iPad) then connecting with a regular USB cable. 

the only exception to this rule is if the DAC in question is officially Apple certified - in which case you can just use the regular data/charging cable that comes with your iDevice.  But these DACs are in the minority due to the high price of obtaining official certification.

Regarding the iPod 5th gen specifically - again that's something that will need to be confirmed but my understanding is that the crucial factor is that your i-device be running iOS-7 or above - which enables the use of USB digital audio.   iOS-7 was released in Sept 2013 so I wonder if a review questioning compatibility with apple devices and WA7 was an older one from before then. Unless the iPod touch 5th gen has specific issues. 

You could definitely shoot Woo/Mike a quick email to confirm compatibility.

Jeb

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,989 of 2,600
Thanks Jeb, im glad to be aboard :D. My wa7 + watp should be arriving in a day or two so I will know for sure then. If all else fails I can feed my laptop into it direct in the meantime.

Ive opted in for both the gold pin tubes and umbilical power cable posted earlier in the thread, thanks for the suggestions. Can't wait to try it all out!!

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,990 of 2,600
Exciting stuff! great choice & also nice to see another Wa7 owner this side of the Atlantic. When you're ready you could also think about some different tubes in the WA7tp too. Plenty of time for that down the line though - I hope you enjoy your new toy. It's always a pleasure unboxing a product like that!

Let us know how you get on once you're hooked up and have had a good listen.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,991 of 2,600
RAL power cord
I wish I was a wordsmith like Jeb Listens, but alas not even close. I will try to convey what I hear as the difference between the stock umbilical cord and the RAL. For the comparison I am using the Electro Harmonix 6C45’s that Woo Audio offers as an upgrade as well as the CBS-Hytron 5814a Red Label that Jeb had given praise to. I find this as Jeb did, an exceptional tube that give a neutral presentation tonally to the music. I was tempted to use the Mullard, however I did not think it would give me an accurate picture of what the differences were. My current setup is a Mac Mini I5 running my fav HQ Player audio player. I am using PI Audio’s Battery Buss to power the Mac, along with UpTone Audio’s Mac mini DC-Conversion/ Linear Fan Controller Kit. As well as Uptone Audio’s USB Regen Amber. I use Triode Wire Labs 12 plus power cord to feed the WA7tp, and RAL’s DualConduit USB. Headphones used for this were Beyerdynamic T1’s. Music used for listening was “Reference Recordings Minnesota Orchestra Showcase (Don Juan, tone poem for orchestra, Op. 20) “

First I’d like to say the Woo Audio WA7/7tp is an outstanding piece, and I am very happy I bought it. It gives me a lot of enjoyment in listening to music. The observations made between stock cord and the Revelation Audio Labs cord. (Referred to as RAL from now on)
 Black background, as always something you don’t realize until the noise is gone, the RAL provide very black background.  I find a clean, extended deeper bass, balanced, and smooth sound coming from my setup. Width is one of the first things that come to mind when inserting this cable. And each individual instrument or voice is clearly in its own space. RAL cable is smooth sounding without being too smooth. Stock cable has some bite to it at least with the T1’s listening to strings. There is some grain in stock cable, with some smearing going on.

When placing the RAL in my setup it is the missing link. Everything just jells, the WA7/tp the tube upgrades, other wire and all are able to heard. I have no regrets with this purchase.

As always YMMV

Just a side note, in the last 7 years in this hobby I have found most any improvement to power supply and components of it to be quite rewarding. I have built quite a few power supplies and come to find the results to be very rewarding. The RAL has been quite rewarding, it has given either the best or second best improvement of any wire I have tried in my systems over the last 10 years.

Cautions: the RAL UC is rather unyielding (does not bend easily), going from the stock UC which goes wherever you put it. The RAL is not that way. Breaking in the RAL is a long roller coaster ride, need to be patient. The wait is worth the end results.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Mark

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,992 of 2,600

Hi there cry5alis!

welcome to WA7-land. 

Hopefully mike of Woo audio will pop in shortly to verify this but i'm pretty sure that the only way you're able to extract a digital audio signal from an apple device for a USB DAC like the WA7 is by using the lightning to USB camera adapter thingy  (or the 30pin to USB CCK if you're using an older iPad) then connecting with a regular USB cable. 

the only exception to this rule is if the DAC in question is officially Apple certified - in which case you can just use the regular data/charging cable that comes with your iDevice.  But these DACs are in the minority due to the high price of obtaining official certification.

Regarding the iPod 5th gen specifically - again that's something that will need to be confirmed but my understanding is that the crucial factor is that your i-device be running iOS-7 or above - which enables the use of USB digital audio.   iOS-7 was released in Sept 2013 so I wonder if a review questioning compatibility with apple devices and WA7 was an older one from before then. Unless the iPod touch 5th gen has specific issues. 

You could definitely shoot Woo/Mike a quick email to confirm compatibility.

Jeb

Well said 
beerchug.gif
  Thank you!

It is important to note that there are a LOT of counterfeit Apple adaptors on the web.  Some even has nearly identical retail packaging.  I recommend to buy Apple Lightening to USB adaptor or 30-pin camera adaptor from Apple online or retail store ONLY. 

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=f2219480d42b87914d9a15585f69a5d0f563cfea71214bbce70b49df31d6424cc01134e0e7eef52412a0e08e2945810f23eb234981c4916123e8c8a0891e68aefd80b84274b4d73f75126d563a60335cdca4b054d03a9b064c4a17fa4ab5350dbd10437cb9ac68fd5df5aff7beac0adb

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC531AM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit?fnode=11a135e92254aeb58d13bf08630dead046b49faf1aaa8c7f64e7bb8c752a9443b1584c9594b3b473c384166a2d21b4ea71511b0820d6663b0b63dad99093e15e2f8d91f1c009121060a2c418adbd76b90dc3adb32b960d4bcbb0aaf7cdfaad55a3c6a5a72a54b88de36e219e46c57d2f

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #1,994 of 2,600

“I’ve gathered an amp..  Its sound..  bewitches.  I’m struggling to contain.  I’ve ordered my last set of tubes.  Once they arrive, it’s power will be complete.  And all dominion will be mine.”

This is kinda where I am right now.  I finally sourced a wa7 to the uk.  A longish quest, which was roughly 2 months spent daily, ooh-ing and ahh-ing at wooaudio.com before some kind soul from Liverpool, (thanks minh) decided to part with his via the head-fi trader forums.   I thought my journey was over.  ­ Ha!

It was merely the beginning.

Cables!
Cables!
The woo cried out.  I ignored his voice.

I need cables!  To sound the way I need to sound.  (I’m paraphrasing here).  The poster mjock on this very wonderful thread delightfully explains the benefits of a $239 power cable substitute.  I was won over, I was in.  Was it my decision or the amp’s?

Tuubes!
Tuubes!

Before the amp had even arrived I could hear the sirens call echo through my mind. 

I needed tubes.  No feeble Sovtek stock would do (although I’m sure they’re perfectly adequate).  Sylvania’s, Mullards, American, Russian, Pan-european – a united nations worth of glorious NOS lovely looking bioshock-style, rock and rollin tubes..  I was in heaven.  Tubes.  Tubes.  Tubes.  Seriously.  This is some good ********* schiit to get into.

Source Files chry5alis.
High quality digital source files, I heard in my sleep.

It’s a shame these aren’t more widely available.  The few digital transfer flac from vinyl I managed to acquire are simply worth their weight in gold.  My music seems richer once more.  I listen to the tracks and I’m an adolescent again, skipping class, smoking d00bs under a tree, listening to Dylan on a copied cassette with tape taped over the bits..

So I got some gold pins, I got a cable, I got my headphones, I got my source - only one thing was missing from my life.  I had no idea what it was, but I’m sure my woo was about to let me know.

Westinghouse carbon plates 12au7, I hear the whisper. 
What?  I do a quick google.  Apparently these are the bomb, and unless I’m mistaken theres a set staring me in the face on ebay $40 shipped.  Surely not, they must be fakes?  is my journey over?  I click on paypal and wait.  Tick tock, tick tock. 

I’m still waiting.

This is the best hobby ever.­

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #1,995 of 2,600
Sounds like someone has been bitten by the audiophile bug. :smirk: Congrats, happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back