WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Aug 7, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,998 of 2,600
chry5alis -Really looking forward to hearing how you get on with the Westinghouse Carbon plate 12AU7s! After a little research sounds like you could be on to a winner with those.  

Your WA7tp sounds hungry - I'm sure it will eat them up.   

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #1,999 of 2,600
Sounds like someone has been bitten by the audiophile bug. :smirk: Congrats, happy listening.

This bug had us all XD

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #2,001 of 2,600
Aug 9, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #2,002 of 2,600
Yes - enough audiophile bugs to drain every wallet in a 10 mile radius. 

My WA7 has been out of commission for a short while -  I needed to clear the decks for a Bottlehead Crack build.  I'm looking forward to getting the WA7 back in situ and making a few comparisons with the Crack using the HD650s. It will also be interesting to see if there's any consistency in the sound signature of the 12AU7s in both amps, despite it being a different application. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,003 of 2,600
That sounds cool Jeb I've also been thinking of getting a bottlehead crack to build love to tinker with electronic gear, let us know how your new amp sounds..

Which amp are you doing ? i'm thinking of the OTL + speedball

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #2,004 of 2,600

"Aliens" 

hahaha...... 
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #2,005 of 2,600
  That sounds cool Jeb I've also been thinking of getting a bottlehead crack to build love to tinker with electronic gear, let us know how your new amp sounds..

Which amp are you doing ? i'm thinking of the OTL + speedball

Hi abvolt!  

Yes just finished the Crack build last week and have a speedball incoming.  I had no experience at all so the Crack was the only choice for me.  It was a thoroughly enjoyable process!  

To keep it on Woo topic...

The great thing about the Crack will be that since you have the WA22 you prob already have a good stock of 6080/6AS7g  and might have some 12AU7s from the WA7tp too!  So it's a nice way to find another use for all those tubes! 

The downside is the Crack can't drive my favourite Audezes like the WA7 can but it does have this unbelievably good synergy with the HD650s that is a pure delight.  To be honest I'm not sure it will really be able to compete with the Woo so best to think of it as a companion/fun exercise rather than a replacement.   One thing it has given me (besides a very healthy respect for electricity)  is an even greater admiration for people who design and build all these wonderful amplifiers professionally as well as how unique the WA7 aesthetic is... and also for the huge amount of clean power that the woo can put put out despite its diminutive size!

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #2,006 of 2,600
Just got my WA7 and it pairs phenomenally with my T1s. However, I don't have the anti-slip pads. Any suggestions for something that might work while remaining fairly invisible or where I can get the pads?

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #2,007 of 2,600
  Just got my WA7 and it pairs phenomenally with my T1s. However, I don't have the anti-slip pads. Any suggestions for something that might work while remaining fairly invisible or where I can get the pads?

I use Glue Dots on mine , a single dot cut into quarters gives four tiny corners
Holds well for dusting etc but still easy to lift for tube rolling

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #2,008 of 2,600

I use Glue Dots on mine , a single dot cut into quarters gives four tiny corners
Holds well for dusting etc but still easy to lift for tube rolling

Good idea, thanks! I take it they're not too tacky? I'd be worried about knocking the tubes around picking the glass up.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2,010 of 2,600

Remember to buy the non permanent version or you will be stuck
You can reduce the tack just by pressing with a finger a couple of times

Wow, glad I asked that question. I didn't know there were multiple kinds and it turns out I just have the permanent ones. That would have been bad. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back