Woo Audio WDS-1
May 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #46 of 107
I don't suppose there's a way to dim or turn the blue display off, is there?

And how does the display work? Does it cycle through sample-rate and input every now and then? Does it only display input (optical/coax etc) when you select the input button, then flash back to sampling rate and remain there?

For anybody who uses this on Windows via USB, does it have some sort of dedicated control panel software as part of the driver, or does it run using Window's own USB-SPDIF?

May 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #48 of 107
Quote:
I don't suppose there's a way to dim or turn the blue display off, is there?

And how does the display work? Does it cycle through sample-rate and input every now and then? Does it only display input (optical/coax etc) when you select the input button, then flash back to sampling rate and remain there?

For anybody who uses this on Windows via USB, does it have some sort of dedicated control panel software as part of the driver, or does it run using Window's own USB-SPDIF?

No way I know the turn off or dim the display, It's not that bright.  The sample rate show whatever sample rate you play.  The input shows for a few seconds after you switch inputs, then it displays the sample rate.  I use Mac, so I don't know about the driver, but I bet there is not a control panel.

May 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #50 of 107
So I Guess Pyramid6 is the only one here that owns this DAC? Look forward to more listening data. 
regular_smile .gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #51 of 107
pyramid6, can you tell me about the nice looking wooden platforms upon which your gear is sitting?

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #52 of 107
I think these:
http://www.amazon.com/Farberware--14-Inch-Single-Tone-Bamboo-Cutting/dp/B0002TU49G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1340828207&sr=8-5&keywords=bamboo+cutting+board

with these:
http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Adhesive-Durometer/dp/B003IMSIBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340828256&sr=8-3&keywords=isolate+it

They are bamboo cutting boards, I got them off Amazon.  I added the Isolate It pads.  There are some nice hardwood chopping blocks if you want something more substantial.

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #53 of 107
Excellent, thanks!

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #54 of 107
I'm reviving this long-abandoned thread on what looks to be a promising bit of gear.  I just pulled the trigger on a WDS-1!  It'll probably arrive in a few weeks and I'll be sure to leave impressions.  The WDS-1 seems to be flying under the radar for the moment, though Jack seems plenty busy without worrying about more WDS sales.  Still, it looks like a great piece and was just a bit too tempting to skip!  I've wanted to own a Woo piece for a while but never quite got myself to buy anything other than the headphone stands.  It's nice to have bought a piece or real Woo gear!

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #55 of 107
Quote:
I'm reviving this long-abandoned thread on what looks to be a promising bit of gear.  I just pulled the trigger on a WDS-1!  It'll probably arrive in a few weeks and I'll be sure to leave impressions.  The WDS-1 seems to be flying under the radar for the moment, though Jack seems plenty busy without worrying about more WDS sales.  Still, it looks like a great piece and was just a bit too tempting to skip!  I've wanted to own a Woo piece for a while but never quite got myself to buy anything other than the headphone stands.  It's nice to have bought a piece or real Woo gear!

You'll be only the second owner of a WDS-1. 
biggrin.gif
 Can't wait to hear your findings. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #56 of 107
I honestly can't believe he hasn't sold a lot more. People love Jack. Guess they're weary of his first DAC. Surprised he hasn't been mailing them off for reviews. 

I'd still love to try one. It's gorgeous.

Quote:
You'll be only the second owner of a WDS-1. 
biggrin.gif
 Can't wait to hear your findings. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #57 of 107
Quote:
I honestly can't believe he hasn't sold a lot more. People love Jack. Guess they're weary of his first DAC. Surprised he hasn't been mailing them off for reviews. 

Yea. I am also quite surprised. I have Schiit Gungnir on the way, but can't help but feel I may have one of these as well in a few months.

Mailing out a few for reviews...now there's an idea.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #58 of 107
Quote:

I'm just happy a DAC exists that isn't over-hyped and FOTM'ed, from a domestic shop with a great reputation.  DAC's usually come in four flavors: Mediocre-Average, Over-hyped tech showcase best thing ever (until next month), new innovative well received values that involve either some fly by night quasi-DIY or 3-month backorders and self-importing, and the good stable ones nobody talks about because they just do what they should do without fanfare.   I'm hoping this one is among the latter
biggrin.gif

Schiit's the exception to the rule: It's an over-hyped FOTM from a domestic shop with a good reputation and is an innovative well received value. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Much as I love those guys, I just couldn't help drifting to the WDS-1 like a moth to a bug zapper!  There's something about it.  It's understated yet showy.  And it's hard not to have high hopes for a Woo piece.  Maybe when Schiit statement comes out I'll regret it, but something about the WDS strikes me as the right one.

My impression at the moment is that Jack's just far too busy with....something....to have the ability to drum up sales on this piece too much.  He hinted in a post with the release of the chrome headphone stands that it was the beginning of "a new generation of Woo products"....maybe he's knee deep in working on new stuff to show in January.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #59 of 107
I was the first one to buy this DAC back in April.....The first one because Jack told me when he shook my hand at the Montreal Sound show and told me I was his first customer for the DAC.

I matched it with my Woo 6SE and I am extremely happy with it. My headphones are Senn HD800 and I recently bought a Cardas Fat Pipe cable to complete my set. Honestly, I believe I will keep this setup for a long time.

I own two other DACs (Ref 5 and NFB8 from Audio GD) and I would not be able to tell you which one I prefer the most, but one thing for sure, the Woo Dac paired with a Woo amp is a fantastic combination...

Denys

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #60 of 107
Quote:
I was the first one to buy this DAC back in April.....The first one because Jack told me when he shook my hand at the Montreal Sound show and told me I was his first customer for the DAC.

I matched it with my Woo 6SE and I am extremely happy with it. My headphones are Senn HD800 and I recently bought a Cardas Fat Pipe cable to complete my set. Honestly, I believe I will keep this setup for a long time.

I own two other DACs (Ref 5 and NFB8 from Audio GD) and I would not be able to tell you which one I prefer the most, but one thing for sure, the Woo Dac paired with a Woo amp is a fantastic combination...

Denys

Very cool story!  Wow, it took a long time to sell one.  I seriously don't think many folks have bought into these. I'm looking forward to the experience.  Any DAC that can withstand HD800 scrutiny is a winner!
rolleyes.gif
  Not that I have room to talk, I'm pairing with HE-6
evil_smiley.gif

I have a Signal Cable MagicPower Digital Reference power cord on the way for it.  I don't really believe in power cords. Maybe if you're running into a device with a poor power supply and have a good power conditioner in front of it it makes sense, but otherwise, I fail to see how a good power cord can do much of anything since the real filtration happens in the unit itself.  But Jack doesn't include power cords supposedly, presumably to cater to the assumption that anyone buying a Woo wants prettier magical cabling....so I figured a cable also from NY and rather stately looking is befitting a DAC of this caliber. 
wink.gif
   The AES & RCA out are all BJC Belden 1800 and LC-1 though.  Like the DAC itself, elegant and understated....not flashy.  And it visually pairs well with my pro-audio rackmount gear in front of the DAC.  No nonsense, rugged, great value, and it all matches in color.  I looked at the Signal cable variants that also use Belden stock...prettier...but the blue splashiness of the digital and analog two wrappings just clash with the stately "black accents" Woo
biggrin.gif

I should be about half-way or a little over half-way through the wait now...
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back