Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Jun 16, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #601 of 903
When looking into buying the WA8 this was the one main thing that came up as a potential problem. Mine is working fine and is almost 2 years old. I would take the issue to Woo directly, you'll likely have to send it in for repair.

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #602 of 903
When looking into buying the WA8 this was the one main thing that came up as a potential problem. Mine is working fine and is almost 2 years old. I would take the issue to Woo directly, you'll likely have to send it in for repair.

I have not contacted them yet, but I think you're right in that I'll have to send it in...

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #605 of 903
Is anyone here with experience to drive ZMF headphones, OR can compare the WA8 with the performance of the Hugo 2 with dynamic headphones?

Thanks in advance

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #606 of 903
Is anyone here with experience to drive ZMF headphones, OR can compare the WA8 with the performance of the Hugo 2 with dynamic headphones?
Thanks in advance
Hi! I've tried the HD800S with the Hugo 2, Hugo TT and I own the WA8.
Simply put, the Hugo and WA8 don't compare. I liked nothing about the Hugo 2. Not the sound, not the look, not the controls. I think it's overhyped.
And this is not Hugo bashing - I Love the Hugo TT. I just think the Hugo is not up to the price and hype, whereas the WA8 was a total and very good surprise.

Having said that, there's quite a difference in sound between solid state and tube so make sure you like the general "styling" of the sound.

And If you do prefer a Chord, make sure you compare the Hugo 2 with some of their higher tier offerings only to have as a reference.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #607 of 903

Thanks in advance
Probably not that helpful, but I used to think the Cayin HA-1A was my favourite amp for the Eikon but I like the WA8 more in everyway. The only issue I could see is power, but I have never needed to go above 3 on the WA8 with dynamics.
I don’t have the Eikon anymore but I have the TH900 and the Cascades if you have experience with them.

Ive never owned the Hugo but seems to me of detail is your main goal that might be a better bet.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #608 of 903
It's the perfect partner for FW10000, lol
微信图片_20200628005255.jpg

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #609 of 903

Thanks in advance
Hi! I've tried the HD800S with the Hugo 2, Hugo TT and I own the WA8.
Simply put, the Hugo and WA8 don't compare. I liked nothing about the Hugo 2. Not the sound, not the look, not the controls. I think it's overhyped.
And this is not Hugo bashing - I Love the Hugo TT. I just think the Hugo is not up to the price and hype, whereas the WA8 was a total and very good surprise.

Having said that, there's quite a difference in sound between solid state and tube so make sure you like the general "styling" of the sound.

And If you do prefer a Chord, make sure you compare the Hugo 2 with some of their higher tier offerings only to have as a reference.

Hope this helps.

I just posted this in the Stellia thread, though I think it is relevant to the above.

Spent some time this afternoon testing the Stellia between the Hugo 2, Woo Audio WA8 and iFi Micro BL. In short, they were all amazing but my take is that they perform in line with their respective price point. In Australia that is $3800, $2800 and $800 respectively. Having tested most other portable/transportable options at these price points, I’d say that these 3 are the only real contenders.
  • Hugo remains a standout to me. Clean, clear dynamic sound with filters to roll off the slightest of peaks as needed. Easily the most dynamic here and appropriate for office use for me.
  • WA8 was a surprise and fits perfectly in the middle. The warmth of the tubes and slightly less capable DAC lose a little detail to the Hugo. I actually think this would be a really nice evening option for hotel stays for work and so forth.
In a perfect world I’d likely buy both for different times, though they’re quite pricey to say the least.
  • iFi Micro BL represents incredible value for money, as does the HipDAC I owned prior. Whatever issue I had last time I tested this was gone. Loads of power, dynamic punchy sound. Bass + bloats bass a bit more than I’d like, though it is track dependent. Generally this device just makes you smile and it’s one of the most fun devices here. The sound however is a little more commercial than the others, which I think would appeal to the widest audience.
Most of my listening is at work during the day, so the Stellia / Hugo 2 combo works best for me. If I come across some extra funds however, WA8 would be a welcome addition. Those on a tighter budget shouldn’t hesitate on the iFi Micro BL though.

All fantastic devices, but my overall vote goes to the Hugo 2.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #610 of 903
Just picked up one of these bad boys for my Tia Fourte. Never tried tubes so was initially taken a back by the different presentation, finding it a bit too warm / bassy / wooly after a few tracks especially on bass heavy music. 3 tube mode was a definite no no (I prefer a flat response usually). Switching back to Qudelix 5k seemed like a breath of fresh air - so light and airy by comparison.

Then I had a proper listening session for an hour last night (2 tubes) and especially on stuff like Radiohead / Placebo / The Yeah Yeah Yeahs I realised what all the tube fuss was about :) Then back to some Psy trance and hip hop now I was used the sound a bit and wow wow wow :)

Annoying about the pop when switching off - is there a fix for that? I bought used btw

Also is it ok to lock back in case while hot? Annoying to have to leave it out before putting away otherwise

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #611 of 903
Welcome to the world of tubes. It’s definitely a taste once acquired, is addictive (esp when tube rolling). Not all tube amps sound so “ tubey” but the WA8 definitely leans toward the more “tubey” side.

The pop is normal on the WA8 unfortunately, esp when switching between DSD & FLAC too. Also don’t change between two tube & three tube mode without switching off the WA8. Whilst I’ve not had any problems accidentally doing so, the recommended procedure is to switch off the WA8, then switching.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #612 of 903
Looking forward to my next session already :) Although I also thoroughly enjoyed a quick walk before work with the Qudelix - it’s really impressive for something so small!

Any thoughts on locking it in the Peli case when hot?

Also I assume the batter is super clever and I can do what I want with charging / letting it run out completely / playing while charging etc?

And is the batter totally full as soon as final light is red? It seemed super quick to get to full charge from dead??

Thanks to anyone who knows :)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #613 of 903
Just read a manual I found online - it says to always disconnect the charger when the battery is fully charged.

Not very convenient meaning you can’t leave to charge overnight! And not very clever compared the Hugo 2 charging where you could do what you wanted without being bad for the battery

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #615 of 903
I picked up a WA8 a couple weeks ago to use at the office. My initial impressions are very positive. I'm mainly listening through my UE 18+ CSX iem's. With the stock tubes (the delivered driver tube in mine is a Thomson) I find the imaging is very good, detail retrieval strong, and overall quite pleasant. I do find that vocals in the middle of the soundstage have a slight veil, vs ones that are to the side. I also got the Sylvania 6BF7 upgrade driver tube and enjoy this configuration a bit better, with vocals really blooming, the bass being a bit deeper, and that center veil disappearing. Overall I find the soundstage to be quite wide but not very deep which can sometimes lead to some congestion in the middle of the soundstage with complex multi-instrument music. It is really well suited to acoustic, bluegrass, and jazz.

I also tried the WA8 with my Audeze LCD2's. I usually use these in my main rig (Benchmark 2 Dac -> Leben CS300 -> LCD2) where the LCD2 + Leben combo is magic, especially with the right tubes. With the WA8 I definitely enjoyed the LCD2's, although the soundstage isn't as big as with the Leben and overall the control and impact, especially in the bass, isn't at the same level. The WA8 has no problem driving the LCD2's, with a comfortable volume around 5.

Overall I think the WA8 is a great option for people who need some portability and a smaller footprint. The Sylvania driver is definitely worth it if you vocals are at the top of your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back