Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Jul 19, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #303 of 903
Is anyone using WA8 out of a Mojo? Please let me know your thoughts, like how much better is it for IEMs using the WA8 than using just the output of the Mojo? Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Louis Armstrong

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #304 of 903
  Is anyone using WA8 out of a Mojo? Please let me know your thoughts, like how much better is it for IEMs using the WA8 than using just the output of the Mojo? Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Louis Armstrong

As you know, I tested the WA8 with and without the Mojo, and to my ears the sound was clearly better when using the WA8's internal DAC.  So Mojo is really not necessary, but... then you need a USB source (a DAP with USB-Digital-out like the AK70 or a tablet PC)?

Jul 31, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #305 of 903

Jack Wu was kind enough to lend me his for a couple of weeks. I have it hooked up to my MacBook Air and Ether Flow so far, and I just switched to the Yggy to compare. I think if I was a regular traveller this would be quite tempting to buy.  It doesn't sound like a portable amp at all.

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #306 of 903
For those who want to use WA8 with external battery pack. Here's a link to one we've tested and liked. You can play WA8 off the battery pack or recharge WA8.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0116BX968/

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #307 of 903
  For those who want to use WA8 with external battery pack. Here's a link to one we've tested and liked. You can play WA8 off the battery pack or recharge WA8.

Thanks.  This is indeed a very neat & small AC converter. I guess this "Chargetech" needs to be used with the original WooAudio charger ?

But is it possible to also power the WA8 directly with DC curent (a battery) instead of having to use this AC curent converter + the WooAudio Charger ( this is 2 blocks) ? 

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #308 of 903
Converting AC to 12.8V/3A (Woo charger output) via this powerpack  is quite inefficient.  Can the WA8 accept 12V DC directly (at given current) without this conversion?  If so, there are many additional options.  Of course, using a 3A inline fuse would provide some protection.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #309 of 903

Thanks.  This is indeed a very neat & small AC converter. I guess this "Chargetech" needs to be used with the original WooAudio charger ?

But is it possible to also power the WA8 directly with DC curent (a battery) instead of having to use this AC curent converter + the WooAudio Charger ( this is 2 blocks) ? 

WA8 does not have charging mechanism inside. The included external charger is required. The battery pack is an option for those who has no access to a wall outlet when WA8 needs to recharge. It is extremely rare that there would not be a power outlet anywhere someone travels to. Even airplanes have AC outlets in the seats!

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #310 of 903
All things considered this is a good solution. Great find Mike. It's not often a manufacturer promises to look into something and actually does!! That is commendable.

From your testing how much playing time does this charger add?

Since the Woo external charger must still be used it would be great to offer a slimline version of that (Woo) charger with short, detachable cords on both ends. That way every thing could be kept nice and compact.

Thanks for investigating this option. This just keeps on getting better :D

Incidentally, is the WA8 pairing with the Focal Utopia better than with the hd800 (my apologies if that impression was covered in an earlier post)? It seems like it should be. That will probably be my next can, but I choke whenever I consider the price.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #311 of 903
Mmm.......I am really interested in the AC outlet equipped battery bank, not just for my WA8 but for my other devices. So, is this safe to use with the WA8, including the charger. Will using it void the warranty of the Eclipse? Need this answered by Woo Audio before committing.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #312 of 903
Mmm.......I am really interested in the AC plug equipped battery bank, not just for my WA8 but for my other devices. So, is this safe to use with the WA8? Will using it not void the warranty of the Eclipse? Need this answered by Woo Audio.

Woo Audio were the ones who made the recommendation:

Given this and the fact that they have tested and are using it, I'm sure it's safe. Still I agree it would be best if they confirm using it won't void the warranty.

I didn't wait and just ordered one from the Canadian Amazon site after realizing that with exchange factored in and free shipping it is actually cheaper in Canada than on the US Amazon site. We Canadians have to be very good at doing this type of calculation on the fly and seizing the moment if it makes sense!

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #313 of 903
Mmm.....Chargetech products are sold here in Manila.The portable outlet was 40% off retail just this June. Too late to take advantage. But if the WA8 warranty holds, I ll grab one from Amazon.

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #315 of 903
Heard the new Focal Utopia headphone with the WA8 at CanJam London today. I want both bits of kit.

+1  to me also it was the best "transportable" set-up.  Almost a "mini stax"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back