Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Aug 29, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #316 of 896
Anyone any idea if the WA8 is considered safe to carry onboard of a flight?

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #317 of 896

I wouldn't see why not.  It wouldn't be my personal first choice, unless you aren't carrying a lot of gear onboard (I usually carry tons of stuff), and, if you want to listen to it for a flight that's longer than 4 hours, make sure the plane(s) you are boarding has a power outlet for the WA8 (you can always use the ChargeTech power external battery mentioned earlier in this thread by @HiFiGuy528, though).

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #318 of 896
If you can deal with the hot amp and the plane ride is actually quiet enough for you to appreciate the amp's performance, it can be done. Like Moedog said, though, it definitely wouldn't be my first choice for use while on the plane. The ChargeTech unit is nice, but it's nearly as large as the WA8 itself. The WA8 is definitely better suited as a "once you get to your hotel or office" use situation, not really while on a plane.
Would it be awesome to have the tubes glowing on the seat tray...yes!

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #319 of 896
Sorry for not being clear...I'm definity not planning to use the WA8 while on plane as I typically love using my NW-ZX100 with "days of juice in one single charge" for my long haul flights.

My question being...since WA8 is a tube amp and we know many airport security screeners around the world are not properly trained, so they might flag this wheneven it goes through the X-Ray scanners whether I'm to keep it in my checked luggage or as a hand carry.

However it is my plan to bring this along with me while on my long trips where I often have some hours of undisturbed time to enjoy my music in relatively peace

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #320 of 896
Sorry for not being clear...I'm definity not planning to use the WA8 while on plane as I typically love using my NW-ZX100 with "days of juice in one single charge" for my long haul flights.

My question being...since WA8 is a tube amp and we know many airport security screeners around the world are not properly trained, so they might flag this wheneven it goes through the X-Ray scanners whether I'm to keep it in my checked luggage or as a hand carry.

However it is my plan to bring this along with me while on my long trips where I often have some hours of undisturbed time to enjoy my music in relatively peace

Ah, that would make more sense. I haven't traveled yet with my WA8, but I have never had a problem with bringing my smaller portable amps through security. I'd take it out of whatever bag you're carrying it in, though when you put your carry on items on the conveyor belt to get scanned.As it's rather dense and heavy, that might save you some time, compared to having to wait for a TSA agent to pull empty a bag to manually check your electronics. I think only once did I actually have to explain what a portable headphone amplifier was, but it was obvious that it went with my headphones and portable music player.

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #322 of 896
If you can deal with the hot amp and the plane ride is actually quiet enough for you to appreciate the amp's performance, it can be done. Like Moedog said, though, it definitely wouldn't be my first choice for use while on the plane. The ChargeTech unit is nice, but it's nearly as large as the WA8 itself. The WA8 is definitely better suited as a "once you get to your hotel or office" use situation, not really while on a plane.

It's Moedawg.  Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #323 of 896

No, you should be okay.  If they ask you, just tell them it is an amplifier.  Better yet, tell them it is an amplifier even before they tell you to take it out of the bag or tell them if you have to put it in the conveyor belt during security checks.  As long as you let them know, you should have no issue.  I brought 6 DAC/amps/amps with me, and they could care less when I went to London for CanJam a couple of weeks ago.  Also the two Paris airports didn't care, the New York airport didn't care and the Los Angeles airport didn't care.  What they (London) did care about though, was everything else that I carried (headphones and IEMs), and for that, I was held in customs for longer than I should have.

For peace of mind, definitely carry on the WA8, don't put it in a checked bag.

I highly agree.  Not saying that anyone could steal your WA8 if it is in a checked bag...okay, I am, but it's always good to keep valuables of any type on you, and not at the mercy of a suitcase or bag that is away from you for hours on end.

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #324 of 896

It's Moedawg.  Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

In my case, if anyone saw anything glowing on my seat tray, I'd probably be shot by an air marshall or have a "welcome party" waiting for me at the gate.

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #326 of 896

I recently flew with my WA8 in my carry on. Was completely hassle free getting through TSA, no questions at all. Just to be safe I printed the "http://wooaudio.com/products/wa8eclipse.html" page just in case the TSA had any questions.

I also used my wa8 in flight for a couple hours and didn't get questions from anyone on the plane.

You should be fine! :)

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #327 of 896
I own a chord mojo and I love it but I'm looking to upgrade. This looks super cool and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade? It's a pretty big price difference but if it was going to be night and day Improvement I might be up for it, any opinions from owners?

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #328 of 896
Mmm....you guys use the WA8 with the iPad Pro (on latest iOS)?????? Can't seem to make it work. Am using genuine Apple CCK with USB interconnect. Nothing wrong with either CCK or USB. Connects flawlessly with the Chord Dave. S.O.S. Tia.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #329 of 896
Mmm....you guys use the WA8 with the iPad Pro (on latest iOS)?????? Can't seem to make it work. Am using genuine Apple CCK with USB interconnect. Nothing wrong with either CCK or USB. Connects flawlessly with the Chord Dave. S.O.S. Tia.

Make sure the volume slider in music app. is set at MAX. on iOS device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back