Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #991 of 1,118

If I don't I have to put the combo up for sale :frowning2:

I just want to buy an Amp/Dac combo that I can be happy for a while.

I finally found a set of cans I really like...

My opinion is go for it, absolutely!  I own 2 sets of WA7+tp one for home and work.  The one at work runs the internal DAC and the one at home runs a McIntosh D100 DAC and to be perfectly honest with you the difference is very very very small between these two setups. The D100 is considered an exceptional DAC and really the internal DAC really holds it's own against it.  It is really about value and I believe for the cost you would be very hard to find a better DAC/Amp than the WA7/tp.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #992 of 1,118

If I don't I have to put the combo up for sale :frowning2:

I just want to buy an Amp/Dac combo that I can be happy for a while.

I finally found a set of cans I really like...

I have compared the Wa7 dac with a Yulong D18 and much like groovyd found very little difference , so I just use the Wa7 as is even though I have an upgrade option right there on the shelf
I think the Wa7 particularly paired with the Tp is great value even in Australia
Any headphone or iem you like will sound great out of the Wa7

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #993 of 1,118
  About to upgrade to the WA7tp PSU (from WA7) + Mullard Tubes. Any ideas on what to get replace the Sovtek 6C45's with? I wanted to go to WA22, but it would be too expensive at the moment. I am trying to drive an LCD3 and I don't think just the WA7+Solid State PSU alone with Stock Sovtek tubes is good enough.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? thanks

To give the boost you are looking for I would recommend buying some adapters on Ebay and fitting 6350 tubes to the Tp
After running 6350 tubes for quite a few weeks I can say they are perfectly safe and easily outperform any 12au7 type including Mullard

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #996 of 1,118

Do you like the GE 6350's?

I run them at work and they do indeed step it up a notch above the mullards and you should be able to get them and the adapters for a little less.  Of course they are taller then the stock tubes and stick out the top so it depends if you want good looks as well as great sound then the mullards are the answer.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #997 of 1,118

I run them at work and they do indeed step it up a notch above the mullards and you should be able to get them and the adapters for a little less.  Of course they are taller then the stock tubes and stick out the top so it depends if you want good looks as well as great sound then the mullards are the answer.

Mullards are $95/piece (real Mullards)

So if you say they are similar to Mullards I'd rather go and save a little bit of cash.

PS just got the WA7tp, so can't wait to give it a shot :)
I like the footprint of these guys.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #998 of 1,118
I am just wondering if something like this with mullards would be a better idea? Maybe I'm way off ....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rogue-Audio-Sphinx-100w-ch-tube-Hybrid-Integrated-Amp-w-remote-black-1395-List-/111828274534?hash=item1a097c0d66:g:nxIAAOSw9NxTscXr

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #999 of 1,118
  I am just wondering if something like this with mullards would be a better idea? Maybe I'm way off ....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rogue-Audio-Sphinx-100w-ch-tube-Hybrid-Integrated-Amp-w-remote-black-1395-List-/111828274534?hash=item1a097c0d66:g:nxIAAOSw9NxTscXr

If you also have a pair of speakers you need powered and/or a turntable in need of an amp this would work out well. If it's just for your headphones, I doubt an integrated amp is going to give you better sound than a pure headphone amp. You would also need to buy a DAC.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,000 of 1,118

yeah, sorry but your way off on that one... talking chinsey IC op amp headphone out vs full on tube power, not even close :wink: as soon as you crank the WA7 up you'll be backtracking on that post for the next year

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,002 of 1,118
you know what i might recommend for you seeing as you are driving T1 with it is to perhaps not get the Mullards or the 6350 and adapters (because there is a bit of cost to that route too) but if you like better bass which the T1 def need then get a cheap pair of JANs instead.  Save some money and will help pair the WA7tp to the T1's a little better.  They are a bit punchier in the low end with a very energetic foot tapping sound.

ah sorry that was simon who mentioned T1 but I see you have the LCD3... still I think you might like the JANs or perhaps the cleartops even better with the LCD3 gives a bit more top extension and sizzle. in any case the tp def gives the 7 a lot more balls all around... if there is any choking going on there is something else wrong.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #1,003 of 1,118
  you know what i might recommend for you seeing as you are driving T1 with it is to perhaps not get the Mullards or the 6350 and adapters (because there is a bit of cost to that route too) but if you like better bass which the T1 def need then get a cheap pair of JANs instead.  Save some money and will help pair the WA7tp to the T1's a little better.  They are a bit punchier in the low end with a very energetic foot tapping sound.

ah sorry that was simon who mentioned T1 but I see you have the LCD3... still I think you might like the JANs or perhaps the cleartops even better with the LCD3 gives a bit more top extension and sizzle. in any case the tp def gives the 7 a lot more balls all around... if there is any choking going on there is something else wrong.

I have the LCD3 and HD700, had the HD650 but that's gone now and a few other headohones like Ultrasones etc (which are easy to drive anyway).

It's not really choking, it just feels like the WA7 with stock PSU doesn't seem to push the LCD3 to it's capability. I play via Decibel from a MacBook Pro and also via my iPhone 6s Plus (+ Lightning to USB adapter and Flacs, when the lappy isn't around).

I'm not a huge fan of bass to be honest, I do like balance. I switch between the LCD3 and HD700 depending on the music. The LCD3's are exciting headphones but obviously it's not for everything. My collection of music is very eclectic so it's nice to cover the spectrum. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #1,005 of 1,118
Hello all,

If someone could please explain a few things for me (I'm new to all this so forgive me)..

1. I have T1 headphones and from reading the thread the... "Mullard NOS CV4003 Made In Great Britain, cryo treated sold by Upscale Audio" seem to be the tubes to get- this is for the PSU right? Does anyone know where you can buy these from in matched pairs either in the UK or Australia?

2. For the above tubes to work what are people using in the main AMP unit? Just the stock tubes?

3. I haven't heard anyone mention the optical in. Do you use that over the USB? Would that be better as the DAC isn't then powered by USB? If that is the case is the DAC powered by the PSU at that point?

Regards,
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back