Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #976 of 1,117
  Hi everyone, just want to say I'm still enjoying the Hytrons in my WA7TP (much thanks to JebListens for urging me to try 'em). The SQ with these tubes is jaw-dropping at times with all my favorite headphones(TH900, T1 & Grados). One of these days I'll roll the Mullards back in but these are my top choice with the WA7!!!

Nice! I finally got my hands on the Hytrons with the slanted getters. Will post back on impressions.

I'm taking a long listening session on my current Siemens silver shields and T5P so I can be ready for the comparison. This is already a wonderful combo so my expectations are low that I'll hear something significantly better. But you never know what headphones I'll have 3-5 years from now so that's the argument I use to make myself feel better about the growing number of tubes in my collection. Like wine, it's hard to let them go knowing one day there will be no more of a given type and date.

11-13 update - the Hytrons are awesome! I get about 1.5 dB more low end presence from 128 Hz on down compared to the Siemens silver plates. Mids are more warm but not Mullard warm. The highs have more refined details and separation. When I switched back to the Siemens, those now sound a little harsh and touch of grain at the high end. The Hytrons are the best for pairing with the T5P so far and probably end game. I think Hytrons would be great with HD800. I will keep my Siemens though since I don't know what headphones I'll be using 3-5 years from now, but the rest of my tubes are being sold below.

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #979 of 1,117
Hi all,

Very interested in picking this Amp / Dac / PSU up to drive my T1's.
Just a few questions if anyone can answer. I've read the thread but couldn't see these answered..

1. Does the WA7TP work well with the T1's?
2. I want to use the onboard DAC, I wouldn't have cash for an external DAC so is it a good one?
3. I'm confused about the USB/digi in. If driving from my Macbook Pro which would be better? Could I use the digi out from my macbook Pro or do I need to use USB? Is there any difference in quality?

Regards,
Simon

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #980 of 1,117
  Hi all,

Very interested in picking this Amp / Dac / PSU up to drive my T1's.
Just a few questions if anyone can answer. I've read the thread but couldn't see these answered..

1. Does the WA7TP work well with the T1's?
2. I want to use the onboard DAC, I wouldn't have cash for an external DAC so is it a good one?
3. I'm confused about the USB/digi in. If driving from my Macbook Pro which would be better? Could I use the digi out from my macbook Pro or do I need to use USB? Is there any difference in quality?

Regards,
Simon

WA7TP does great with most headphones and you can tune to your preferences with tube rolling. Onboard DAC is good, but not the most resolving at this price point. A great and not too expensive upgrade would be the Schiit Bifrost Multibit or even Chord Mojo. Both are $600.

As for USB, bits are bits, but with USB you run the chance of some noise but a good cable can generally solve that. For extreme noise, there are numerous digital filters you can get. USB is more universal than optical so I wouldn't bother paying extra for optical. Considering that you will probably upgrade the DAC at some point, makes the optical option even less appealing. Put those dollars towards a DAC.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #981 of 1,117
I use the schiit wyrd with my gear works great for any usb noise you might have and of course a good usb cable, the dac in the wa7 is very much lacking when I owned my wa7/tp I noticed a really big difference when I added a good dac to the mix. It will drive most hp's well..enjoy

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #982 of 1,117
About to upgrade to the WA7tp PSU (from WA7) + Mullard Tubes. Any ideas on what to get replace the Sovtek 6C45's with? I wanted to go to WA22, but it would be too expensive at the moment. I am trying to drive an LCD3 and I don't think just the WA7+Solid State PSU alone with Stock Sovtek tubes is good enough.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? thanks

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #983 of 1,117
Adding the wa7tp with the cv4003's will make a huge difference in sq as far as the 6c45's that really all there is unless you go with the gold pins which offers no advantages except more money for woo..

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #984 of 1,117
  Adding the wa7tp with the cv4003's will make a huge difference in sq as far as the 6c45's that really all there is unless you go with the gold pins which offers no advantages except more money for woo..

Awesome! About how much difference do you think it will make? Currently without the tube PSU the WA7 seems to "Choke" with the LCD3.

Maybe when I get some money in the future I'll upgrade to something more powerful for the LCD3.

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #985 of 1,117
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to all this so sorry if I ask something dumb.

I've been (quite happily) using an Apex Glacier portable amp with my T1 headphones for some time and am blown away by the quality that little amp can produce. However there are times when I read threads such as this and wonder if I'm missing out on what my T1's are really capable of.

I understand when you get to this level the differences in quality can almost be put down to a 'feeling' of what you like but if I upgraded to the very expensive (for me anyhow) wa7tp and tube psu would I notice a big jump in sound quality? I'm guessing my T1's are pretty under driven by the portable amp so the sound would be fuller? I also notice a lack of Bass at times from the Apex so would that fill in also?

My other question is that the DAC on the wa7 seems to get a so-so review in this thread. If I'm spending $2000 (Australian) I can't afford to spend on a DAC. Is it really that 'bad'? Are there any happy people out there using the onboard DAC?

Any advice would be amazing.

Regards,
Simon

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #986 of 1,117
I believe you would notice a big difference in sq with the wa7/tp over your current amp, as a former owner of a wa7/tp I do think the on-board dac is lacking which as you say for nearing 1600. it shouldn't be, at that time I also owned a older nuforce dac80 after I added it to my system it was very clear to me the wa7's dac is of low quality. But that's just my opinion some like the wa7/tp just as it is. I learned the hard way sold my wa7/tp got a good dac/amp very happy now..

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #987 of 1,117
  I believe you would notice a big difference in sq with the wa7/tp over your current amp, as a former owner of a wa7/tp I do think the on-board dac is lacking which as you say for nearing 1600. it shouldn't be, at that time I also owned a older nuforce dac80 after I added it to my system it was very clear to me the wa7's dac is of low quality. But that's just my opinion some like the wa7/tp just as it is. I learned the hard way sold my wa7/tp got a good dac/amp very happy now..

I trust people here really appreciate the reply :)

Like you said it's almost $1600+ (when you also add new tubes). If I also get a DAC that kind of defeats the purpose of getting something portable like the WA7.

What Dac+Amp combo do you have? If I have to spend $2000 total I'd rather do that then keep upgrading the WA7.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #989 of 1,117
  In my opinion you will be absolutely well served with the WA7/tp combo and using it's internal DAC.  I don't think you will thereafter feel any need to upgrade.

If I don't I have to put the combo up for sale :frowning2:

I just want to buy an Amp/Dac combo that I can be happy for a while.

I finally found a set of cans I really like...

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #990 of 1,117

If I don't I have to put the combo up for sale :frowning2:

I just want to buy an Amp/Dac combo that I can be happy for a while.

I finally found a set of cans I really like...

there are a couple WA7 and TP for sale in classified. Given that Woo Audio is offering 10% off right now, you may be able to negotiate a sweet deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back